Toyota and NASCAR into 2007

Discussions about legally sanctioned general motorsports events
NascarXprt

Toyota and NASCAR into 2007

Post by NascarXprt »

Toyota to Cup in 2007? 8 teams? UPDATE: Toyota will support eight Nextel Cup teams when its cars make their debuts in 2007, but none of them is likely to be from Ganassi Racing, which all along figured to be part of the Toyota contingent. Toyota Racing Development will support four Penske Racing squads and two each from Bill Davis Racing and Michael Waltrip Racing. Davis and Waltrip will be partners in 2006, then turn their attention to Toyota.(Sporting News)(10-3-2005)UPDATE: however, as was reported in the past and reinterated today.....Walter Czarnecki, vice chairman of Penske Racing, says Penske Racing's contract with Dodge extends beyond 2007.(10-3-2005)
My '04 Garage - My '06 Garage - My '09 GT Garage
November 2006 MOTM / February 2007 VOTM / April 2010 VOTM / June 2011 VOTM
ZubenElGenubi

Re: Toyota and NASCAR into 2007 (NascarXprt)

Post by ZubenElGenubi »

I'm having a real hard time picturing fiberglassed version of a Camry Solara, which is the only coupe I can think of that is NASCAR-ready.
NascarXprt

Re: Toyota and NASCAR into 2007 (ZubenElGenubi)

Post by NascarXprt »

its either the solar or the camary v6
Mavrik

Post by Mavrik »

Toyota needs to stick to the truck class.
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
rlfreese

Post by rlfreese »

NASCAR is an american sport, what ever happened to good american heritage. next thing you know honda will be racing the accord and nissan the altima and hell why not throw a daewoo in there or kia while were at it. lol, cant the foreigners stick to what they do best and just build good electronics.
2005 Base Vibe W/ moon and tunes , piaa headlight/foglight bulbs, tein s-tech suspension, cosmo CAI, TRD quickshifter, ES motor mount bushings, magnaflow exhaust, RK sport CF roof rack caps, tinted windows, kenwood KDC-X589 HU/w remote Cardomain Page http://www.cardomain.com/ride/797307
cohocarl

Post by cohocarl »

Quote, originally posted by NascarXprt »Toyota to Cup in 2007? 8 teams? Wonder what Junior Johnson thinks about this...... To me, NASCAR's heritage just doesn't seem right with a Japanese based vehicle in it. There weren't too many foreign vehicles around when moonshiners started NASCAR. It's all about hot rodded American V-8's. Let the ricers have CART.Call me old school....
Sold 6/16/04 03 Vibe 5-speed, Hotchkis Sway Bars & Springs, Hooker Aerochamber, Panasonic Stereo, Hitch, Silverstars,04 Saturn Vue 2.2L Ecotec, 5-speed, 01 Stratus R/T Coupe 5-speed (wife's car) 85 Corvette 268 CompCam, 882 heads, FlatTops, 24lb injectors, Hooker Aerochamber true duals, 58mm TB, Holley AFPR, Siamesed intake base, Polished TPI.
NascarXprt

Re: (rlfreese)

Post by NascarXprt »

there is talk of honda joining NASCAR with a truck and mostlikely builting engines for NASCAR:Honda and NASCAR? UPDATE: Honda, long-rumored to be interested in NASCAR Nextel Cup racing, is now trying to hire NASCAR engine builders for its Honda Racing Development operation, according to engine men familiar with the situation. It is unclear just what game plan that Honda might be considering. But NASCAR has provided Honda with Truck-racing templates, and Honda, since introducing its first big truck this season, the Ridgeline, has been widely expected to enter NASCAR Truck racing eventually.(Winston Salem Journal)(10-3-2005)UPDATE: Robert Clarke, president of Honda Performance Development, attended his first NASCAR race Sunday. He said Honda isn't planning to follow Indy Racing League rival Toyota into NASCAR, and he came simply to watch the race.(Indianapolis Star)(10-3-2005)no way is nissa goin to enter nor deawoo or issusu or kia or any other forign company just toyo and honda.more info at Jayski.com
ZubenElGenubi

Re: (rlfreese)

Post by ZubenElGenubi »

Quote, originally posted by rlfreese »NASCAR is an american sport, what ever happened to good american heritage. next thing you know honda will be racing the accord and nissan the altima and hell why not throw a daewoo in there or kia while were at it. lol, cant the foreigners stick to what they do best and just build good electronics.ROFL...good thing I know you're joking, 'cuz otherwise I'd have to remind you about what's under the hood of your ride!
cohocarl

Post by cohocarl »

I really haven't checked out Toyota's NASCAR trucks. It may sound stupid, but do they use Toyota engines? The motor would have to pass NASCAR's specs, so does Toyota produce a pushrod, 2 valve V-8?I guess I could take 5 mins and do some Googling. Edit:Found some quotes from when Toyota was just getting into the Truck's:"As the first foreign-based manufacturer to compete in one of NASCAR’s elite series, Toyota had more to overcome than just building a pushrod engine from scratch and setting up its teams. Considerable skepticism and resistance to Toyota’s participation came from fans and within the racing community. The NASCAR rulebook clearly states that its series are reserved for American vehicles. Dissention rose high enough that Nextel Cup driver Jimmy Spencer was quoted as saying, “Those (SOBs) bombed Pearl Harbor, don’t forget. As long as it’s good for the economy, I guess it’s OK. But I hope Ford, Chevrolet and Dodge kick their ((removed)).”Longtime car owner Jack Roush echoed the feelings of many stock car fans when he was quoted in USA Today: “I really don’t want to be seen as a guy that has laid himself down on the tracks and said we shouldn’t have Japanese cars in stock-car racing. I don’t want to be that guy. But I do hope that NASCAR and that the fans and everybody that’s involved will take stock of what’s good for our economy in the purchases of consumer goods.”---------------------Engines: To enter the Craftsman Truck Series, NASCAR allowed Toyota to build one from a clean sheet of paper, much like Dodge did in its return to NASCAR in 2001. Toyota asked for the ability to build a new, race-specific engine because at the time, it did not build a carbureted engine or a V-8 … or even an engine with its camshaft in the block. Many believe that Toyota has asked for more this time around. Multiple valves per cylinder, fuel injection and overhead camshafts have been discussed. But those items have been discussed for years – prior to Toyota entering the picture – with the other three manufacturers. Those manufacturers recognize that the existing engine design used in Nextel Cup racing has far outlived its original intent and it is time to look at a new engine. Representatives from GM, Ford and Dodge would prefer to build and race an engine that better reflects what is being sold in cars today, using technology based in the 21st century, not the 1960s. Discussions between NASCAR and the Big Three are currently under way and a new engine design is expected to be approved for introduction in the 2007 season. This new engine is expected to run on unleaded fuel, which will also pave the way for NASCAR to race in Canada, where leaded fuel is illegal
Sold 6/16/04 03 Vibe 5-speed, Hotchkis Sway Bars & Springs, Hooker Aerochamber, Panasonic Stereo, Hitch, Silverstars,04 Saturn Vue 2.2L Ecotec, 5-speed, 01 Stratus R/T Coupe 5-speed (wife's car) 85 Corvette 268 CompCam, 882 heads, FlatTops, 24lb injectors, Hooker Aerochamber true duals, 58mm TB, Holley AFPR, Siamesed intake base, Polished TPI.
Flip-Side

Re: Toyota and NASCAR into 2007 (cohocarl)

Post by Flip-Side »

Quote, originally posted by cohocarl »I really haven't checked out Toyota's NASCAR trucks. It may sound stupid, but do they use Toyota engines? The motor would have to pass NASCAR's specs, so does Toyota produce a pushrod, 2 valve V-8?Toyota went above and beyond with their powertrain developement in the truck series. The advances in technology they put in borderline breaking the rules. I'm all for them joining NASCAR. Toyotas and Hondas sometimes have more american parts than GMs nowadays, and some healthy competition sounds good. I am sure their performance will be just as good as the truck series, which my race freak friends tell me is quite well. NASCAR did kill dodge with their HEMI back in the day, and hopefully they won't be as hard-nosed about this.
Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others have labored hard for.