First oil change pain in the a**

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
wicked1981

First oil change pain in the a**

Post by wicked1981 »

So I finally decided to change my own oil and go with synthetic. Picked up Mobil 1 NEW CAR formula synthetic oil a Fram oil filter a car ramp to lift the car off the ground (works great)and no air filter since I have a CAI (saved money there). Well I done oil changes before so figured it would be easy. Well it was up until it was time to take off the oil filter. I dont know why but the dealer had tighten it soo tight I could not take it off. I tried then my brother tried even called dad to give it a try. Well after wrestling the damn thing for over 20 minutes it finally came off. Other than that piece of cake!!! Damn dealer!
2006 Pontiac G6 GTP3.9L V-6 240hp and 241 lb-ft or torque18" Aluminum, five-spoke, flangeless200 Watt, 8 speaker Monsoon sysChrome dual exhaust tipsLiquid Silver MetallicBorla Custom ExhaustDr. Speed Cold Air Intake
vibemoon

Re: First oil change pain in the a** (wicked1981)

Post by vibemoon »

I had the exact same problem and even bent an oil filter wrench before it finally broke loose! Ridiculous!
'05 AWD Mono Moonstone VibeCosmo CAIPBR Ground WiresEibach Pro Kit SpringsQuote: Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!
Sub-Vibe-R

Re: First oil change pain in the a** (vibemoon)

Post by Sub-Vibe-R »

We are 3!!! It took me a good 15-20 mins to remove the oil filter...I took care to no overtight the new one.
MJN2

Post by MJN2 »

Make that four. Had the same problem. Ended up getting a ride to Autozone and getting a filter wrench that attaches to a socket wrench and fits the filter exactly. Oddly enough, that filter wrench is the best investment I've made in tools in awhile. Makes changing the oil filter a lot easier.
Two-tone Neptune GT w/17" OEM rims, Nav System, BOMZ short ram, Sabresport STB
agbhyde

Re: First oil change pain in the a** (MJN2)

Post by agbhyde »

i was taught to put new oil on the rubber gasket of the new oil filter. this will help stop it from locking on. also, i was told that it does not need to be cranked tight, just little more than snug. Just bought two Fumoto drain valves, one for each car. I hope that makes it work the $20 each. I thought it wise to help simplify the Synthetic oil changes. Just got the vibe last week, had 3350 miles, made the dealer do an oil change, when do you think I should change it to synthetic??
ebslopp

Post by ebslopp »

I also couldn't get the filter off. I didn't own a filter wrench, so I had to bike (20 miles both ways) to the nearest autoparts store to get one. Since I had already drained the oil. I was pissed.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------2004 Base - TwoTone Neptune - 5 speed There are 10 types of people in life. There are those who understand binary and those who do not.
ToolGuy

Re: First oil change pain in the a** (ebslopp)

Post by ToolGuy »

Unfortunately happens all the time... I suppose they do not want it to accidentially fall off and then become libel. Or rookie oil change techs.
Mr. Poopypants

Post by Mr. Poopypants »

ok, i must be the exception. I had no problem getting my oil filter off first time.
A bartender is just a pharmacist with a limited inventory.
Mavrik

Re: First oil change pain in the a** (Mr. Poopypants)

Post by Mavrik »

was that the first oil change on your car ever? cause the factory seems to glue those things on. Trust me my own filter is tight and I'd rather struggle with it for a few then have it leak.But yes thats good advice about putting some oil on the gasket.
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
Mr. Poopypants

Re: First oil change pain in the a** (Mavrik)

Post by Mr. Poopypants »

I just grabbed a towel and took it off.
A bartender is just a pharmacist with a limited inventory.
wicked1981

Re: First oil change pain in the a** (Mavrik)

Post by wicked1981 »

Quote, originally posted by Mavrik »was that the first oil change on your car ever? cause the factory seems to glue those things on. Trust me my own filter is tight and I'd rather struggle with it for a few then have it leak.But yes thats good advice about putting some oil on the gasket.No it was not my 1st ever it was my 1st time doing it myself I have 17,000 miles so it was my like my 5th (I usually go over 3,000 before changing oil) time getting it done but the dealer had done it the previous times.
2006 Pontiac G6 GTP3.9L V-6 240hp and 241 lb-ft or torque18" Aluminum, five-spoke, flangeless200 Watt, 8 speaker Monsoon sysChrome dual exhaust tipsLiquid Silver MetallicBorla Custom ExhaustDr. Speed Cold Air Intake
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

I had much difficulty getting my filter loose on the first change as well. I was down at the folks' house when I was changing the oil. I couldn't get an oil filter wrench on the thing, the towel trick wasn't working, we had some oil filter sockets, but none came close to fitting that tiny filter... Dad fought it for a bit as well, and couldn't get it to budge either.So, since they live out in nowhere, and not any place in town stays open past 6 on a weekend, I had to drive 30 minutes (in their car of course) just to get to a WAL*MART... I brought the new filter with me and found the right sized oil filter socket. Got home, snapped it to the ratchet, and she came right off. Sometimes you just gotta have the right tool for the job. Get one, wicked1981 - you won't regret it!I've been changing oil in cars since I was 14, and this was the longest oil change I've ever been through. But kudos to Toyota, once you get the original filter that's been welded to the block removed, these damn things are very easy to change oil in! I didn't have any problems on oil changes after that. I tightened the filter down pretty good, but the socket helped take it off every time.I used to do every other change myself, but now I just buy a case of oil, bring in 4 quarts to the dealer, they charge me $12 and I'm done. Getting lazy.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
Herb

Post by Herb »

You can get a type of a cap that fits over the end of the filter and use a standard 3/8" drive socket to get it off that's what I use.As for your choice of filter, I would tend to stay away from Fram. Those are amongst the worst filters on the market. They have the least amount of filter material, and the flow back valve is just cardboard glued to a spring.Checkout this study:http://minimopar.knizefamily.n....htmlQuote, originally posted by wicked1981 » So I finally decided to change my own oil and go with synthetic. Picked up Mobil 1 NEW CAR formula synthetic oil a Fram oil filter a car ramp to lift the car off the ground (works great)and no air filter since I have a CAI (saved money there). Well I done oil changes before so figured it would be easy. Well it was up until it was time to take off the oil filter. I dont know why but the dealer had tighten it soo tight I could not take it off. I tried then my brother tried even called dad to give it a try. Well after wrestling the damn thing for over 20 minutes it finally came off. Other than that piece of cake!!! Damn dealer!
Would you agree to debris acceptance? 2003 Vibe GTMods installed GM Top and Mid-Gate Spoilers, Cosmo CAI, TWM Short Shifter with Desert Eagle weighted shift knob, TWM Bronzoil Shifter Cable Bushings, Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust, Unichip, Injen Billet Aluminum Engine/Sparkplug covers and oil cap, Optima RedTop Battery, Lineage Ground Wire KitAwaiting install: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts, DC Sports Header
wicked1981

Re: First oil change pain in the a** (Herb)

Post by wicked1981 »

Wow that site is great I see that I will stay away from fram from now on. Thanks for the heads up!!Quote, originally posted by Herb »You can get a type of a cap that fits over the end of the filter and use a standard 3/8" drive socket to get it off that's what I use.As for your choice of filter, I would tend to stay away from Fram. Those are amongst the worst filters on the market. They have the least amount of filter material, and the flow back valve is just cardboard glued to a spring.Checkout this study:http://minimopar.knizefamily.n....htmlWow that site is great I see that I will stay away from fram from now on. Thanks for the heads up!!
ToolGuy

Post by ToolGuy »

Yeah I have said it before on this site, use AC Delco, it is made well and desgined for the car.
zionzr2

Post by zionzr2 »

What i hate is when the dealer or whoever puts the drain plug on to tight.... On my previous S-10 i had my-self wedged between the frame completelty off the ground pulling on the bolt before it finally broke loose... ...HEY CHEVY, those do have torque require ments....
kep427

Re: First oil change pain in the a** (MiVibe-ToolGuy)

Post by kep427 »

Quote, originally posted by MiVibe-ToolGuy »Yeah I have said it before on this site, use AC Delco, it is made well and desgined for the car. Hey ToolGuy. Where do you usually pick up your ACDelco filters? The dealer (sounds expensive)? Or, can you identify another convenient and/or less expensive alternative?[/QUOTE]
Happy owner of a '04 base Vibe
ColonelPanic

Re: First oil change pain in the a** (kep427)

Post by ColonelPanic »

I can't remember if it was Advance Auto Parts or AutoZone, but I used to buy AC filters for the Vibe at one of those. In the beginning, I wasn't able to find the filter at either one, so I went to the dealer - around $6 I think. Eventually found them at the auto parts store, was around $3-4, IIRC. I haven't bought one for a while, I just let the dealer deal with it. So I don't know for sure if the two stores above still carry them.I've bought AC filters at Wal-Mart before, not sure if they still carry them, but that may be an option.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
Stone

Post by Stone »

If you all would loosen it first when everything is COLD, then it will come off real easy. Make sure you tighten it down before you warm up the oil. Just THINK what heat will do to those threads on the oil filters. Same goes for the drain plug. Try it, you might like it!
Base 2004 Two-Tone Satelite Auto.
UWAdventurer

Post by UWAdventurer »

Did my first oil change tonight at 2300 miles. No problem at all getting the original filter off. Thought the whole process was very easy. Only problem was I could not get under the car far enough to see the filter, but it was very easy to reach. Used a cap type oil filter wrench with 3/8 rachet, broke the filter loose then went up above and took the filter off and dropped it into my empty oil drain pan. Used Amsoil 5W-30 with Amsoil heavy duty filter.
2005 Base Salsa Monotone w/ Gold pinstripe & Graphite Interior, 20%Tinted Windows, Automatic, Power Group, Moon & Tunes, XM Satallite, 16" Alloys w/Kleen Wheels & Splash Guards, ABS, FIAMM Air Horns, Side curtain air bags
UWAdventurer

Post by UWAdventurer »

Did my first oil change tonight at 2300 miles. No problem at all getting the original filter off. Thought the whole process was very easy. Only problem was I could not get under the car far enough to see the filter, but it was very easy to reach. Used a cap type oil filter wrench with 3/8 rachet, broke the filter loose then went up above and took the filter off and dropped it into my empty oil drain pan. Used Amsoil 5W-30 with Amsoil heavy duty filter. I oil the filter gasket with a light film before installing also.
2005 Base Salsa Monotone w/ Gold pinstripe & Graphite Interior, 20%Tinted Windows, Automatic, Power Group, Moon & Tunes, XM Satallite, 16" Alloys w/Kleen Wheels & Splash Guards, ABS, FIAMM Air Horns, Side curtain air bags
UWAdventurer

Post by UWAdventurer »

Did my first oil change tonight at 2300 miles. No problem at all getting the original filter off. Thought the whole process was very easy. Only problem was I could not get under the car far enough to see the filter, but it was very easy to reach. Used a cap type oil filter wrench with 3/8 rachet, broke the filter loose then went up above and took the filter off and dropped it into my empty oil drain pan. Used Amsoil 5W-30 with Amsoil heavy duty filter. I wipe the gasket seal area off on the car and then I oil the filter gasket with a light film of clean oil before installing it.