2006 vibe GT exhaust leak frustration

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
Pmcalhoun01

2006 vibe GT exhaust leak frustration

Post by Pmcalhoun01 »

First post on this forum.
Just bought my son his first car - a 2006 Vibe GT, 6 speed, with 75,000 miles. Great car, great shape, really bad leaky exhaust smell.
I have confirmed that the donut exhaust gasket between the manifold and the exhaust pipe is shot.

I have been searching online to confirm which gasket to buy and keep getting multiple options, each with a different inside diameter. I also keep getting bolt/spring sets that are clearly not correct. The engine is the high output 2ZZFE (or 2ZZGE - can't figure that out either).

If you have this model, help a newbie out with which parts to buy. Is there an equivalent Matrix model with that engine that I could use in my search? We have plenty of time to work on this since the coronavirus pandemic hit. I just don't want too order and wait for there wrong part to get delivered.

Thanks!
B8FFD567-40D4-4922-B59D-F40B4DACAC31.jpeg
B8FFD567-40D4-4922-B59D-F40B4DACAC31.jpeg (337.44 KiB) Viewed 958 times
joatmon

Re: 2006 vibe GT exhaust leak frustration

Post by joatmon »

Welcome to genvibe

I don't know the aftermarket part numbers or the dimensions of the gasket you need. I do know that the Matrix equivalent of your 06 Vibe GT is a Matrix XRS.

There is a pdf of matrix parts (from 2003, but this should apply to your 06 vibe exhaust as well) at http://www.genvibe.com/images/misc/manu ... atalog.pdf

In that pdf, page 7 of 17 shows exhaust parts, and #7, the "Seal, Front Exhaust Pipe" is Toyota part number 17451-0D040. It is a different part number than the one for the base 1ZZ engine

Looks like buying that specific Toyota part number is pricey. I know there's got to be a cheaper aftermarket alternative, but I agree, its hard to tell which one would fit
zbyers

Re: 2006 vibe GT exhaust leak frustration

Post by zbyers »

Best bet is to buy the gasket for the same year Matrix XRS.

Your engine code is 2ZZGE. See the "Everything you need to know" link in my signature for lots of good info.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe