Front end rebuild 2009 vibe questions

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
pwyu1969

Front end rebuild 2009 vibe questions

Post by pwyu1969 »

Hi all. I have a 2009, 2.4L, 5 speed, 190k. I bought it Fall 18 for $2200. Need light body work, and apparently a new front end. (1) CV axels both sides, (2) strut assembly (will use Monroe quick struts), (3) inner and outer tie rods, (4) sway bars, those all for sure. Planning on (5) ball joint since I’m ‘there’ anyway. This way I pay for an alignment once.

I’ve been watching lots of videos and have the Hayes manual on the way. Here are my questions:

1. For this model, which Toyota is it the same as? 2009 corolla?
2. So in taking all of this apart, what order you recommend all of this being done?
3. Any thing else I should be replacing? Lower control arms? Some bushing I should be checking?

Any tips or something I’m missing?

Also I have two 06 Vibes I’ll be doing some of this too work to also. Any special tools I should just get now?
Bookworm

Re: Front end rebuild 2009 vibe questions

Post by Bookworm »

Hit up Harbor Freight and grab a set of their ugly black 'impact sockets'. You'll need two of the enormous sockets for the struts. You'll also want a large adjustable hammer... I mean, wrench, plus a 1/2" torque wrench.

If you're doing tie rods, you'll want a tie rod tool as well.

Don't forget a set of short bungee cords for the calipers, and if you're going to tear it all apart, you might want to decide if you want to replace the pads and rotors as well.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

pwyu1969 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:13 pm1. For this model, which Toyota is it the same as? 2009 corolla?
2. So in taking all of this apart, what order you recommend all of this being done?
3. Any thing else I should be replacing? Lower control arms? Some bushing I should be checking?

Also I have two 06 Vibes I’ll be doing some of this too work to also. Any special tools I should just get now?
1. 09 Corolla or Matrix (matrix is marginally closer than a corolla)
2. Remove struts and sway bar links, remove axles, remove tie rod ends/ball joints.
3. If you can, put in some energy suspension control arm bushings.

Outside of that, Bookworm covered most of the tools you'd need decently well. The struts are I think 17mm bolt and nut that hold it to the spindle. I couldn't tell you about the rest.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

I found a two foot breaker bar helped enormously.
pwyu1969

Post by pwyu1969 »

zbyers wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:36 am
pwyu1969 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:13 pm1. For this model, which Toyota is it the same as? 2009 corolla?

1. 09 Corolla or Matrix (matrix is marginally closer than a corolla)
2. Remove struts and sway bar links, remove axles, remove tie rod ends/ball joints.
3. If you can, put in some energy suspension control arm bushings.

Outside of that, Bookworm covered most of the tools you'd need decently well. The struts are I think 17mm bolt and nut that hold it to the spindle. I couldn't tell you about the rest.
Thanks to all for advice. After watching numerous YouTube videos and reading forums on genvibe, here is where I am at with some follow up questions by job:

1. Control arms - I ordered the energy suspension control arm front bushings but couldn’t find the back bushing/inserts, nor do I have a press to press them in and out, so I ordered some Beck/Arnley control arms from RockAuto. They were only $97 a pair delivered, which seemed cheap, but these are the brands sold on Moogs website. Are these reliable?

Also, on YouTube the control arm job looks real easy for 2009 but on the forum, I’m reading about lifting engine and 4-5 hour job per side. On inspection it looks like all the nuts and bolts are accessible and easy to get to. Any reason why it’s taking so long for some folks? Is it diff for 03-08? What are the issues I’m not seeing?

2. Tie rod - I ordered Moog inners for Matrix. Looks like there is no diff for left and right? So I assume that using Matrix is fine and they are symmetrical? I plan on renting an inner tie rod end tool, any anticipated issues in getting those out that I should be aware of?

Outers are Moog, looks straight forward, any issues I’m not seeing?

3. CV axels - I ordered CarDone brand for left and right. Looks like one issue is pounding them out of the hubs. If they are tight do I just beat the heck out of them? Anything tricks other the lube and force? Something I should be careful of?

For inner CV, I’ve seen folks use crow bars and slide hammers. Seems like crow bar is way to go? Any other tools to consider? Again brute force? Also anything I should be aware of in sliding back in other than lining up splines and making sure snap ring takes?

4. Struts and sway bar links - I have Monroe quick struts and Moog links. This, of all the jobs seems most straight forward. Other than frozen nuts and bolts, any thing I should be aware of? Also for top plate nuts, I can access without taking off plastic leaf guard which necessitates taking off windshield wipers with box wrenches. However to use my torque wrench, access is limited. How important is getting those three to torque specs? Is really tight good enough?

Finally, I plan on starting with drivers side, as the shorter CV axel seems ‘easier’ to access. Is this the case?

All in, parts and tools are about $800 delivered for name brand. Seems like an ok deal for fronts end rebuild. Any suggestions on my ‘sweat labor’ is helpful. Btw, any idea what it would cost to have a garage do this? It’s always nice to know what my time will be worth.

Thanks in advanced, you all rock!
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

1. No idea on control arms. I'm still on my originals at 276k miles...Though I should replace all the front suspension. :lol:
2. Also no idea. As far as I can see the inners and outers are the same for both sides; and should be the same between Vibe/Matrix of same year/motor. Though, to note, rockauto shows different part numbers between the two, and under the vibe inner tie rods aren't available, but they are under the matrix. It also appears the 1.8L and 2.4L use the same tie rod ends, which does make sense.
3. I usually purchase everything from AutoZone...They're really good with their warranties. So my axles are Duralast Gold. No comment on the Cardone ones. Yes, a long prybar and 5lbs sledge work good for beating the axles out. They will either pop right out, or be a pain. Sliding in, basically center the snap ring on the axle if you can, and line up the splines and push it in until it kinda clicks into place.
4. Can't you access the top hats with a socket and extension? that would be far easier than a box wrench. These are pretty easy to do. Just undo the sway bar link from the sway bar; no need to take it off of the strut itself.
5. Both axles can equally be easy or be a pain.

I'd say a garage would probably run around 8 hours of labor for all of it, plus parts. Easily $1500 for everything. Most garages quote around $700 just for brakes/rotors all the way around.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Sway bar links - don't get the ones with crush nuts. Get the ones with lock nuts. If they come with crush nuts, send them back. The problem with those is that once you torque them up, you'll have to cut them off with a grinder to replace the links.

I haven't actually changed the rest of the suspension - just the struts and sway bar links. I'd go with the other folks' opinions on those.