2008 Vibe Heat shield is loose

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
OldGeek

2008 Vibe Heat shield is loose

Post by OldGeek »

Our 2008 Vibe's heat shield (the one between the exhaust and the fuel tank) has detached at the rear where a bolt originally screwed into a plastic piece that is attached to the fuel tank strap. I could not see this clearly until I raised the back of the car as much as I could and was able to crawl under it -- yes, it IS on jack stands. I could see that there was something between the fuel tank strap and the heat shield, but I could not make out what.

When I looked online, on GM parts sites I could see that the fuel tank strap is shown with a protrusion -- and it is the same part# (88973477) for both 2007 and 2008 models. But the aftermarket sites (e.g., Dorman, Spectra) show different part numbers and different drawings for the two model years: for 2007 they show a strap with an integral attachment point for the heat shield, whereas for 2008 they show just a strap with a hole, and none of the vendors could tell me how this was supposed to work.

I bought the strap for a 2007 model (which I still have time to return) but have not been able to install it because I have not yet managed to remove the heat shield. The center bolt at the front -- close to the exhaust pipe -- is rusted in place, and no amount of PB Blaster has enabled me to loosen it. A bolt extractor simply ground away the head, and now the bracket into which the bolt screws is loose but not yet completely detached; it looks as though it is riveted to the body. And if I cannot remove the heat shield I cannot replace the existing fuel tank strap with the new one.

Perhaps the simplest method would be to get a replacement for that plastic part if one is available that could simply be slid onto the existing strap, but I cannot find such a thing listed anywhere. Is it available?

Suggestions, please?
OldGeek

Update: 2008 Vibe Heat shield is loose

Post by OldGeek »

I searched for help on the ToyotaNation forum, since the Toyota Matrix and the Pontiac Vibe are near-identical twins, and found a report that that plastic part became unavailable years ago. (So I suggest that the part that Dorman &co. list as only for models up to 2007 should in fact be considered to have superseded the part that they list for 2008 models.)

Further prodding showed that the rear end of the heat shield would in fact stay in place (but not very securely, of course) if I pushed hard against the bolt, so I thought I would try epoxying the threaded part back in place, but I made the mistake of trying to unscrew the bolt from it -- and sheared the bolt.

Time for a redneck repair: I threaded an 8" zip tie through an appropriately sized washer, up through the hole in the heat shield, through the plastic part (parallel to the strap), back down through the hole and the washer, and through a suitably sized nut (3/8", I think, and then pulled it tight. Everything seems firm.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1JdacG ... 8NGZdBJRdg
zbyers

Re: 2008 Vibe Heat shield is loose

Post by zbyers »

I think at this point I've removed all heat shields on mine.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
OldGeek

Post by OldGeek »

I don't think removing the heat shield between the exhaust system and the fuel tank is a very smart move.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

OldGeek wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:38 am I don't think removing the heat shield between the exhaust system and the fuel tank is a very smart move.
Been there done that. About 5 years, no issue.

MarkfromMich

Re: Update: 2008 Vibe Heat shield is loose

Post by MarkfromMich »

OldGeek wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:17 pm Time for a redneck repair: I threaded an 8" zip tie through an appropriately sized washer, up through the hole in the heat shield, through the plastic part (parallel to the strap), back down through the hole and the washer, and through a suitably sized nut (3/8", I think, and then pulled it tight. Everything seems firm.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1JdacG ... 8NGZdBJRdg
Thank you! I followed your process this morning and had the job done in 45 minutes (30 minutes to figure out where to put the jack stands and 15 minutes to do the repair). I also put a spare zip-tie, washer, and nut in my glove box. And I plan to purchase some wire and put that in the glove box too. My Vibe is a 2006 with 167k miles. I was hoping to get a couple more years out of it, but when I was under the car, it's clear that the Michigan winters are taking a toll on the body. Time to start thinking about a new car.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

The one thing the original poster failed to tell us, is where this car is driven or where he/she is located! If it's down in the desert southwest then keeping the heat shield on is a must. If it's up here where we have real winters half the year, then not as big of a deal My son't 2009 Vibe GT rear heat shield fell off a couple years ago from all the salt/brine & corrosion that we get up here and we've simply kept it off! No real issues so far.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
OldGeek

Post by OldGeek »

The one thing the original poster failed to tell us, is where this car is driven or where he/she is located! If it's down in the desert southwest then keeping the heat shield on is a must. If it's up here where we have real winters half the year, then not as big of a deal My son't 2009 Vibe GT rear heat shield fell off a couple years ago from all the salt/brine & corrosion that we get up here and we've simply kept it off! No real issues so far.
We're in Michigan and get real winters. BUT I don't see that the temperature of the exhaust system itself is going to be a whole lot different in a Michigan winter or an Arizona winter. And in a Michigan summer (yes, we do get those) the outside temperature is going to be plenty high enough to require the use of a decent heat shield between the exhaust system and the gas tank for safety's sake.

What happens if your car bursts into flames -- not necessarily because of the missing heat shield -- and the insurance co. denies your claim? Insurance companies are in business to pay as few claims as possible, and they have better lawyers than I can afford.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

OldGeek wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:23 amWhat happens if your car bursts into flames -- not necessarily because of the missing heat shield -- and the insurance co. denies your claim? Insurance companies are in business to pay as few claims as possible, and they have better lawyers than I can afford.
Wasn't on the car when I bought it.

Zia242

Post by Zia242 »

Hi there. Having an issue with one of my front heat shields rattling. I think I may have to replace that one which is a relatively inexpensive part and I have a good mechanic who can take care of it for me.
But as I was looking for info about the issue in the GenVibe community and came across this post.
I did want to mention that several years ago my rear heat shield, the one around the exhaust towards the back was loose and I was told they couldn't weld it because of the location and proximity to the gas tank.
I was able to secure it myself with heavy duty picture wire. So if you want to save some money and get rid of the rattle give it a try.
I live on Cape Cod and we have issues with salt water corrosion. But I have found that the picture wire will secure the shield and prevent it from rattling. I only had to re-wire it once in the last 8 to 10 years. Get heavy duty picture wire that will support at least 40 lbs. And if you can have a mechanic put the car up on a lift for you so you can get easy access you should be able to secure it that way. With mine, the bolts had completely rusted off. But the holes were there and I was able to wrap the wire around some support bars and secure it so it wouldn't rattle. Just make sure you don't secure it to anything that will heat up though. I think that would be a problem and the wire would give out sooner.
As for my issue I will probably have to eventually replace that front heat shield that is rattling. Cheap part - but probably a pain in the (removed) to get to it in order to replace it. So probably a decent amount of labor charges for that. (Not sure what it is called. I'm not a mechanic - by any means. But it was up front and near the passenger side. When it rattles it sounds like the noise is coming from the glove box area.) My mechanic said that is one of the important ones to make sure I keep in place. Will take care of it if it gets too annoying. Car is running well - just a little rattle.
I just wanted to share how I was able to secure my rear heat shield on the cheap, in case it helps anyone else.
Still love my 2008 Vibe! 115k and still running very well with few issues. Had to replace my Catalytic converter last year, but she's by far the best car I have ever owned.