2009 AWD wheel bearings

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
sstewart2967

2009 AWD wheel bearings

Post by sstewart2967 »

good day everyone. i believe that some of my wheel bearings are bad. i have an 09 AWD. has anyone had to replace theirs? i think i need the rear one(s) done. can anyone provide some links to the parts themselves? im having a hard time finding a deal. i may or may not do it myself as i work too much and dont have the time. i just dont know how involved it is...being AWD. (like doing the fronts of front wheel drive cars, right?!)
thanks
2009 AWD blue
Capt.Vibe

Re: 2009 AWD wheel bearings

Post by Capt.Vibe »

Here is a list of hub assemblies from Rock Auto. There are several units for AWD models ranging from $50 to $250 for OEM. Input the part numbers into Amazon to compare prices

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/pon ... embly,1636
2010 Red Hot Metallic 1SA
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

Welcome to genvibe! Especially to the AWD club ;) !

How did you diagnose the rear wheel bearings?

It's possible that if you are hearing a speed sensitive noise from the rear, it may be the rear differential bearings in the coupler.

The noises are different, though. Something to consider before you throw parts at it...
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
jolt

Post by jolt »

As ehoff121 said, there have been other posts here of the rear end center section making noise as maintenance was never done to change the gear lube in the rear end and the couple clutch pack for AWD. You also have the CV joints on the axles that can make noise. As for doing the work, I think it is more work then doing the fronts. You will have upper and lower control arms to deal with as the knuckle needs to be removed. If you live in the rust belt where salt is used on the roads, the mounting bolts will be rusted in place. Also these mounting bolts are the adjusters to do the rear wheel alignment, so a four wheel wheel alignment will be need when you are done.
hogdoctor

Post by hogdoctor »

Lift the wheels off the ground and try to rock them inboard and outboard. If it feels floppy, wheel bearing could very likely be blown. Rear bearings are easier than the front, by a long shot. I posted some photos in the thread linked below. No messing around with links or knuckles or alignment.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=46555
jolt

Post by jolt »

Yes, some of the differences between the first gen and second gen Vibes. 2009 is the start of the second generation of Vibes and a new design from the first generation. Be aware that hogdoctor is talking and showing a first generation Vibe and not a 2009 second gen. They are different in design.