2010 Base, 2.4L steering wheel clunking

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
Transylvania

2010 Base, 2.4L steering wheel clunking

Post by Transylvania »

Hi all - based on the treads I was reading on the clunking of the steering wheel both when going slow over bumps and when wiggling it, I replaced the intermediate shaft. The clunking didn't stop; however, two other things happened: the steering wheel is now crooked and the VSC is permanently on. Have any of you ran into this issue before and what have you done?

Some threads suggest:
Toyota requires that a Zero Point Calibration be performed whenever the alignment is changed (required when replacing the rack) or whenever certain chassis parts are replaced.
Would be interested to see how others have solved this.

Thank you.
2010 Vibe Base crooked steering wheel
2010 Vibe Base crooked steering wheel
2010 Vibe base crooked steering wheel.jpg (160.41 KiB) Viewed 1020 times
Transylvania

Re: 2010 Base, 2.4L steering wheel clunking

Post by Transylvania »

Update: local garage managed to straighten the steering wheel and clear the VSC light; however, clunking is still an issue. The front end is solid, with no loose components. Technician still suspects intermediate shaft...
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Transylvania wrote:Update: local garage managed to straighten the steering wheel and clear the VSC light; however, clunking is still an issue. The front end is solid, with no loose components. Technician still suspects intermediate shaft...
So even though you already replaced it, your mechanic says to change it again? My son's 2009 Vibe GT has had the rattle/clunking pretty much when he bought the car some SEVEN years ago. We just accept it as normal. Have had no other issues at all.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Transylvania

Post by Transylvania »

Well, he suggested to change the intermediate shaft before I told him I already have. He says he feels the rattle in that area.

I was thinking that maybe the GM part I purchased is not the updated part and am considering replacing with a Toyota shaft. Reading comments on this forum it is not clear if that would solve the issue or not.

Has anyone successfully replaced the intermediate shaft with the Toyota version and did thats solve the clunking?