How Do You Remove Roof Rack Front Cap?

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
kc27

How Do You Remove Roof Rack Front Cap?

Post by kc27 »

I am planning on pulling the front plastic cap of the passenger side roof rack from a Vibe in an auto recycling yard. I need it to replace the missing one on my 2005 Vibe. Alldatadiy.com just says "Using a flat bladed tool, remove the luggage carrier side rail caps from the luggage carrier side rail." Is there a specific location where you do the prying, or a method used to to pry these off?

EDIT: I did a you tube search, and am going to sort of answer my own question: Here is a video that shows the part being removed. He is in the shadows, but you can make out what he is doing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVWkHGwsczw

But you have any advice or tips on removing/attaching the caps, please pass that along.
zbyers

Re: How Do You Remove Roof Rack Front Cap?

Post by zbyers »

You will break the cap most likely the first few tries...But I usually go at it near from the front and back of the cap with two pry tools.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
kc27

Post by kc27 »

You called that one right. It is a good thing there were multiple Vibes in the recycling yard. I did discover prying from the front and the back was the best way to go. Still had a little damage, but was able to minimize it. Those caps are so brittle they are easily broken. ,
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

They are horrible to remove!
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe