moonroof operation repair

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
cthomasparr

moonroof operation repair

Post by cthomasparr »

A friend just picked up a new 2004 vibe from a woman who said it leaked and would not attempt to open it. After we purchased the car, I wanted to open it to clear the drain lines and was sad to say even though the motor made some noise, nothing moved... even when I tried to help it up to the raised position

I removed the sunroof glass to clear the lines and was able to get the mechansim to operate... but very slowly. I have not seen this on my other vibes, but this roof may not have been opened for a long time.... not sure

I would appreciate all suggestions for how to and where to clean and lubricate this mechanism to make the roof slide easily. I am also concerned that there might be issues since it seems to labor just to move the roof with the glass removed.
Jbenrod

Re: moonroof operation repair

Post by Jbenrod »

When I got my Vibe I elected to clean and service the sun/moon roof. I found it to be all very dusty and probably overly greased. I cleaned out the dust and most of the old grease and then lubricated the slide rails, drive cables and all the rubber edges of the moon roof itself (I used a silicon grease). I used some heavy string trimmer line to run down into the front drains for only a few inches (one wants to be careful with the drain lines) and then confirmed that all the drains where clear and working by pouring a small amount of water down each corner and watching it come out from below the car.

Therefore, I would suggest you thoroughly clean all areas that you can access and re-lube with silicon grease. Don't glob on tons of grease as just a small coating should last for years. However do try and note the sliding rails or friction areas so that you can be sure to address them. Some areas are never touched by the sliding mechanize so no need to put lube there as it will just attract dust.

I seldom use the moon roof but since my car is always parked under a tree I probably need to check this area again.
2005 Base - 220k
cthomasparr

Re: moonroof operation repair

Post by cthomasparr »

Thanks for the response.

Are the cables visible in the tracks? I saw something that looked like cord/cable, but not sure if that was indeed the cables.