ABS in knuckle

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
bobfell13

ABS in knuckle

Post by bobfell13 »

Hello,
I have an 04 pontiac vibe with a bad wheel bearing. I pressed the bearing out and replaced it but crushed the ABS senser hole in the process, then broke it when opening it back up. I have a metal fabrication shop so I can weld it back together but on doing so the ABS light came on, meaning the sensor is not in the exact spot it should be (kicked to one side or the other). My question is: when I do get the abs sensor to the right position, will the ABS light go off immediately, after a certain amount of miles, or will it need to be reset? Also what is the likelihood I can get it back to the right place in the first place? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
andrewclaus

Re: ABS in knuckle

Post by andrewclaus »

Not sure with the VIbe and the ABS, but with other cars I've had you may have to go through a "drive cycle" for the check engine light to reset. A drive cycle typically entails quite a few conditions being met, and may need both city and highway driving. ABS may be different, sorry I'm not sure.

You can clear codes with a scanner, but don't do that if you need to take an emissions test soon.

I don't know the position tolerance of the sensor, but similar stuff I've seen is in the 1 mm range. That likelihood will depend on your machinist skills and tools.

How expensive is a new or salvaged knuckle? Last time I spun a bearing, I found a salvaged knuckle for $20 or so, and a trip way across town.
bobfell13

Re: ABS in knuckle

Post by bobfell13 »

Just got the light off. Turns out the light will turn off after only a few hundred feet of driving if the problem is resolved. I was able to get the sensor seated right in the knuckle, after a few iterations it looks like it had to be within a couple thousandths of an inch (20-30), which is about on par with what you said. All the junk yards in town are closed due to the holiday and I really didn't want to press a second bearing into that wheel (especially since that was the wrong site in the first place). On ebay they were selling them for around $100. Thanks for the help!