Spash Guard Fasteners

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
ScottGA

Spash Guard Fasteners

Post by ScottGA »

My son recently purchased a 2008 Pontiac Vibe.
Vibe01.jpg
Vibe01.jpg (249.01 KiB) Viewed 2649 times

It is in great condition but one thing that was missed by him when it was purchased was...

2018 06 10 - 01.jpg
2018 06 10 - 01.jpg (398.25 KiB) Viewed 2649 times
...some of the splash guard fasteners are missing. I suspect the fasteners were removed by an over-zealous quick-change-oil-artist. I took this picture when we were inspecting the car in my shop after my son made the purchase.

I'm sure there should be a few plastic "rivets" or "clips" that should be players and maybe a bolt or two. I've looked on-line trying to determine what the stock fastener situation is but the on-line parts diagrams have lacked in detail as to the actual positions of the required fasteners.

Is anybody able to take a picture of their splash guards and/or scan a page from a shop manual that shows the information needed to fasten these splash guards correctly?

Thanks!

Scott
Caretaker

Re: Spash Guard Fasteners

Post by Caretaker »

Yep, I use lots of zip ties and even more so, I use those medium sized, red plastic wall anchors for hanging pictures. I just hammer them in any place plastic parts get anchored into metal ones. Very nice looking car and one very impressive garage you have there.
ScottGA

Post by ScottGA »

Yep, I use lots of zip ties and even more so, I use those medium sized, red plastic wall anchors for hanging pictures. I just hammer them in any place plastic parts get anchored into metal ones. Very nice looking car and one very impressive garage you have there.
Caretaker,

Thanks for the kind words regarding the car and my garage.

The car had about 75K on it and the Carfax was a thing of beauty. Two owners - the first (elderly) owners had if for 9 of the car's 10 year life. No accidents noted and it was routinely serviced at a Dealership. Your results may vary but on paper the car is about as good as it gets for a vehicle that's a decade old. We had been watching Craigslist for quite a while and had to drive about 50 miles to get this car.

The garage is something I wanted to build 25 years ago. Well, at least I did get to finally build it - so I'm fortunate in that regard. A garage/shop is never really done but I've been using it for about 2 years and I am enjoying it very much!

Best regards,

Scott
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

I take great pride in reading stories of those who travel great distances to find their used vehicles. I did the same; a 2 hour train ride each way which was a bust, and the second time, a 3 hour drive to get a very dry Honda Fit, beating the dealerships trolling Craigslist to a great vehicle. I've also met people who have made multiple flights to drive home in a once in a lifetime find. I do hope my future house (in the process of being built) lives up to the standards of your shop. Terrific job on both the car and the man cave.
Mark

Post by Mark »

I've found that the "universal" panel retainer from Auto Zone work perfect for the wheel well liners, both in the fender and underneath. The other option is to pop an existing one out and try to match it at the parts store. My local NAPA has a "big book" of pins and screws that makes it easy to match up what you need. The Auto Zone ones are part no 454900. Hope this helps.
'08 Base Stealth, '05 Base Satellite
ScottGA

Post by ScottGA »

Thanks guys but...

I'm trying to determine which of the holes should have the clips in them... The exploded diagram on an on-line GM Dealer parts diagram is unclear on how many and/or where they go.

I've bought a bag of the clips... They should arrive soon. I'm wanting guidance on which of the many holes available they should go in.

Perhaps they should go in every hole I can find but I thought I'd try to put them in as it came from the factory if possible.

Hence the request in the first post for either a picture of a correct splash guard installation or a shop manual page scan.

Best regards,

Scott
petervivian

Post by petervivian »

I wouldn’t bother with these plastic fasteners. They won’t stay in there longer than zip ties.
05 Vibe (Frosty), 13 VW CC (Fortana Red)
ScottGA

Post by ScottGA »

I took care of this a couple of weeks ago but realized I should complete this thread,

2018 06 18 - 01.jpg
2018 06 18 - 01.jpg (435.74 KiB) Viewed 2550 times
I ordered 25 generic equivalents of the Pontiac 88970767 Clips from a seller on eBay for less than $5 delivered.

2018 06 20 - 01.jpg
2018 06 20 - 01.jpg (427.97 KiB) Viewed 2550 times
As suggested by others, if there was a hole that looked like a clip would fit - I placed a clip there. White lines point to the 6 clips I installed.

So far they are doing their job.

Scott
VibingIn2008

Post by VibingIn2008 »

For anyone else having this problem and finding this thread years later, I wanted to share the clips that worked for my 2008 Vibe: I got a 25-pack of Rexka Front Fender Push-Type Clips from Amazon for $7.99.
stulceaseless19

Post by stulceaseless19 »

VibingIn2008 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:04 pm austin stamped concrete
For anyone else having this problem and finding this thread years later, I wanted to share the clips that worked for my 2008 Vibe: I got a 25-pack of Rexka Front Fender Push-Type Clips from Amazon for $7.99.
Oh, perfect! as about to search for this kind of thread. Thanks for providing the link.