Looking for a new rear subframe for 2004 AWD vibe

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
BossSpud

Looking for a new rear subframe for 2004 AWD vibe

Post by BossSpud »

I recently bought a 140k jet black 2004 pontiac vibe AWD. I am loving every second of the car. ( this is my first car btw) I have a huge hole in the rear sub frame and I am looking for a possible replacement in the Deleware area. I am willing to drive a little bit if need be.
joatmon

Re: Looking for a new rear subframe for 2004 AWD vibe

Post by joatmon »

welcome to genvibe

I'm guessing you would probably need to get that from a junkyard. The website http://www.car-part.com is great for searching the junkyard network for parts. Not sure what they call the part you need, but parts from an AWD Toyota Matrix of comparable years should be interchangeable
BossSpud

Post by BossSpud »

joatmon wrote:welcome to genvibe

I'm guessing you would probably need to get that from a junkyard. The website http://www.car-part.com is great for searching the junkyard network for parts. Not sure what they call the part you need, but parts from an AWD Toyota Matrix of comparable years should be interchangeable
Thanks I will take a look at it.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Another factor to consider is "how did this hole" get there in the first place? Is is from rust/corrosion? I'd assume that BUT you don't have location listed in profile so we have no idea where you're from. Assuming rust, you'll want to get a replacement part from a southern car so you don't go through this again.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

If your alignment is currently in good shape, you could consider taking it to a shop that does metal repair work. Maybe they can clean it up, and weld on some new metal?
I'm reminded of the time the mighty car mods guys repaired the Mira sub frame https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFSaBPqfDoU
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
BossSpud

Post by BossSpud »

tpollauf wrote:Another factor to consider is "how did this hole" get there in the first place? Is is from rust/corrosion? I'd assume that BUT you don't have location listed in profile so we have no idea where you're from. Assuming rust, you'll want to get a replacement part from a southern car so you don't go through this again.
The hole came from salt. It was a PA car.
BossSpud

Post by BossSpud »

SeattleJeremy wrote:If your alignment is currently in good shape, you could consider taking it to a shop that does metal repair work. Maybe they can clean it up, and weld on some new metal?
I'm reminded of the time the mighty car mods guys repaired the Mira sub frame https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFSaBPqfDoU
I will look at that. I know a few shops.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

I know this thread is quite old, but I am adding this info for others in case they came across it...

Rear subframe can be replaced with one from the following vehicles

99-06 Celica GTS (GTS only as it had IRS, like the AWD Vibe
03-06 AWD Vibe/Matrix
09-10 AWD or GT/XRS Vibe/Matrix

All of these vehicles utilized the exact same rear subframe. car-part.com does not list these as interchangeable, but they indeed are. As these cars, and subframes age, it's nice to have this info available.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe