GM Dealer Oil CHange Fail

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
jake75

GM Dealer Oil CHange Fail

Post by jake75 »

Mostly been driving our new Equinox since getting it at the the end March 2017..

At end of November 2017 did the LOF bit on the '09 Vibe at the dealer. Had only put about 2,000 miles since prior oil change but that was 12/7/16 so I thought it was time to change. Went for the full synthetic this time. Probably end of January I used the Vibe to go to the grocery store. That id about a 3 mile round trip. When I got back I noticed a lot of gook on my concrete driveway where the Vibe was parked. (Had I observed that i would not have driven it at all.) I put a piece of cardboard under it to see if there would be any more leakage. Did not drive it. Yesterday I started it up to move it back so I could left the hood and get to the card board. Engine as on or no more than 10 seconds. Lots of oil on that cardboard. Dip stick not showing any oil.

I had it towed in to the Chevy dealer (former Pontiac dealer). I was told by the service advisor just now that the drain plug had not been adequately tightened. He asked who did my maintenance - I told him they did the oil change 11/29/17 at 46,683 miles. Current miles are 46,780. Only driven 97 miles since that oil change. They are going to refill the oil.

Well, that doesn't seem adequate. I am going to ask cover to pay my $73.10 towing bill. But I am concerned if there was any damage to my engine due to their negligence. How can you tell if there is any damage?
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
andrewclaus

Re: GM Dealer Oil CHange Fail

Post by andrewclaus »

If the low oil pressure light on the combination meter never came on (you don't mention it), you have a chance of saving the engine, especially given the low miles driven. There's probably no way of knowing how much off the end of the dipstick the oil level was--one half ounce or two quarts?

Check the dipstick often now, every couple hundred miles or so, and document any oil loss. Listen for increased engine noise.

If you have a history of regular service with that dealer, you might have a better chance of getting a resolution on damages, but hopefully it's all fine.
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

Of course they pay for the towing! It's the very least they can do. I would also be sure to report your experience to corporate AFTER you've completed all your business with the dealership. (I would be seriously amazed if the dealership even sends their follow-up to you but I wouldn't wait for it. Oh, and save a good chunk of that oil they filled your engine with. For a small fee, you can find out if it's even synthetic. I'm betting it's their stock dino base oil.

It's too bad you don't know how much oil they had to add. Wouldn't hurt to ask but I don't know I'd believe them.

In the meantime, as mentioned above, listen for any unusual sounds, smoking, loss of oil or power.

Good luck.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage
jake75

Post by jake75 »

Picked up the Vibe yesterday. Engine sounds fine. I will check oil often. However now the instrument panel light is so dim I can hardly see the speedometer, gas gauge etc.
Posted this issue under “problems”. Had the airbag recall done and apparently they disconnected the battery to do do that.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
jake75

Post by jake75 »

Please award me the Dummy of the Month trophy. In another post I was informed that the odometer reset button also is the dimmer control for the dash board, How or why it got turned downstairs the dealer is still a mystery.
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Please award me the Dummy of the Month trophy.
Sorry, you cannot nominate yourself! :D
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476