Auto transmission fluid change questions

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
CraigLloyd

Auto transmission fluid change questions

Post by CraigLloyd »

My 2007 Vibe is at 150K miles and I'm not sure if a transmission fluid change was ever done, so I'm going to finally do it myself, although I'm seeing a lot of conflicting information.

The biggest thing is whether I should do a pan drop and change the filter/clean the magnets? Or just drain it and refill it several times over the course of a month or so?

Also, if anyone has any recommendations for which fluid I should get, let me know. I'm probably going to stop by the local Toyota dealership and see how much a case would be (would I tell them I have a Matrix?), but not sure if places like AutoZone or Walmart would have better deals.

Thank you!
My Garage
2007 Pontiac Vibe (base trim)
2019 Hyundai Kona SE
2014 Kawasaki Ninja 300
Caretaker

Re: Auto transmission fluid change questions

Post by Caretaker »

the first generation Vibe (your car) takes Toyota Type IV fluid. You can go that route, or you can now use Amsoil and other T-IV equivalent fluids that are now on the market. I went with Amsoil in my second generation Vibe which had World Standard fluid from the NUMMI factory. At your mileage, certainly any power flushing is now out of the question since you don't know if it had ever been done. Frankly at your mileage, there should be NO chance of any red coloration left if it was the original factory fluid. If you still see some red, I would think it is likely that it had been changed at least once. Either way, a gentle fluid exchange is called for.
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

I just had the same circumstance--bought a '07 Vibe with 150K miles with no records. I used T-IV fluid and bought the filter and gasket kit. It was a simple job. Use an old cardboard box to soak up the splashes around your drain pan.

Check the fluid level when idling in neutral (I've had MTs for so long, I nearly forgot that). Be sure you get the right gasket kit, supposedly there are two. Count the number of bolts to be sure. I got everything at my local parts stores. I think Napa had the fluid on sale for $5.
CraigLloyd

Post by CraigLloyd »

Caretaker wrote:Either way, a gentle fluid exchange is called for.
I'm assuming this just means a basic drain and refill?

Also, I've been looking around and it seems Advance Auto Parts has the best deal -- $5/qt for Castrol Transmax. Guess I'll stock up!
My Garage
2007 Pontiac Vibe (base trim)
2019 Hyundai Kona SE
2014 Kawasaki Ninja 300
Derf

Post by Derf »

At that mileage its a toss up between exchange and pan drop. Overall a pan drop to change the filter and clean the magnets is a relatively quick add on during an engine oil change. During my pan drop I was able to determine the clutch and metal material in the bottom was normal. Glad to have it removed, knowing it could not get sucked back up into the pump. The only downside, even with a pan drop, a third or more of the original oil remains in the transmission.
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )

Post by 2006 »

I just did a pan drop/filter change. It's got 250,000 km (155,000 miles) on it. The owner told me it had been changed previously, which was good to hear at least, but my plan is to pull the plug on it after it has been driven for a while and refill. You'll never get a complete change of fluid this way, but at least it will dilute the old/dirty crap somewhat. I'm not against synthetics...but decided to stick with Toyota T-IV fluid.....can't go wrong with what came in it.