Toyota vs. GM Diagnostics?

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
rhino1

Toyota vs. GM Diagnostics?

Post by rhino1 »

I have airbag sensor issues--evidently, passenger buckle and seat weight issues. The local GM dealer was of little help in doing diagnostics (and they couldn't recalibrate the seat); and they're not very familiar with the car.

However, there's an independent airbag repair that has the equipment to do diagnostics, including seat recalibration, on Toyotas, but not on many GM cars (Pontiac Vibe is not on his list).

I've read that some Toyota dealers will work on the Vibe, and other won't (like my local dealer).

Will the independent airbag shop be able to work on the Vibe, with their Toyota scanner?

Thanks.
SeattleJeremy

Re: Toyota vs. GM Diagnostics?

Post by SeattleJeremy »

Yes, independent shops recognize the Vibe's background, and if they are able to work on Toyota's they'll be able to work on the Vibe.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
jolt

Post by jolt »

If the shop is willing, have them hook up their scanner and choose the same year as your Vibe but instead of the Vibe pick Toyota Matrix. It will either detect it and work or it won't. It all depends on the brand and model of scan tool they use. I know that the Toyota factory Techstream software detects and works on my Vibe for the stuff I was doing, like changing door locks and headlight timing.
rhino1

Post by rhino1 »

Just saw a related issue raised several years ago.

Here's one response, in part:

"The Toyota scan tool won't talk to my Vibe the way it does a Toyota. You can talk to other cars using it but can only pull up codes and sometimes the live datastream. When it talks to Toyotas, it can recalibrate the programming, perform a health check, and some other functions. This is using a Techstream.

If you use Snap-On's Solus Pro, you can't use the Toyota personality key to talk to the ECU as well and have to use the same one as the GM vehicles.

I'm just saying it's at least different enough that you have to use GM communication programming."
jolt

Post by jolt »

The Techstream software did the health check on 2009 Vibe and I was able to make programming changes to headlight off delay timing and how the door locks worked. I could see all the controllers in the car.