2009 Pontiac Vibe Takata Recall?

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
mbratch

2009 Pontiac Vibe Takata Recall?

Post by mbratch »

I have a 2009 Pontiac Vibe. Some months ago, before Takata declared bankruptcy, I received a card in the mail indicating that my car is affected by the Takata airbag issue, but that I wasn't being issued a recall yet. The recall would be forthcoming and I was to be watching for it. Then Takata went bankrupt. I haven't seen anything in the mail about a recall.

Has anyone else gotten one of these? How is this case handled? I'm I just SOL on the airbag replacement?
Caretaker

Re: 2009 Pontiac Vibe Takata Recall?

Post by Caretaker »

You are not out of luck. Go to your nearest Chevy dealer and make an appointment. They will let you know if they can get the part in. Mine was handled many months ago here in California. Not sure if they are still going by "humid regions first" but you should definitely bring your notice into your local Chevy dealer. Check the GM website as well. http://www.gmtakataairbag.com/product/p ... /home.html
PonchoGT

Post by PonchoGT »

Tale care your local GM dealer doesn't break one of the alignment tabs on your HVAC/radio panel. Mine did and the part no longer fits snugly into the dash. Oh, and it's discontinued by GM, too. You can get it from Toyota dealers to the tune of around $200 and some change.
Attachments
Vibe radio bezel
Vibe radio bezel
Vibe bezel.jpg (329.77 KiB) Viewed 1419 times
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

PonchoGT wrote:Tale care your local GM dealer doesn't break one of the alignment tabs on your HVAC/radio panel. Mine did and the part no longer fits snugly into the dash. Oh, and it's discontinued by GM, too. You can get it from Toyota dealers to the tune of around $200 and some change.
Just curious who paid for the dealerships negligence? With my Vibe still sitting at a very low 28k miles AND the fact that there is rarely anyone in the passenger seat, I'm reluctant to have the recall done. I just know they'll destroy the dash and not give a (removed) because it's not their car! Plus they get these young pups who are paid the least to perform the surgery. No thanks ... I'll pass for now
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

tpollauf wrote:
PonchoGT wrote:Tale care your local GM dealer doesn't break one of the alignment tabs on your HVAC/radio panel. Mine did and the part no longer fits snugly into the dash. Oh, and it's discontinued by GM, too. You can get it from Toyota dealers to the tune of around $200 and some change.
Just curious who paid for the dealerships negligence? With my Vibe still sitting at a very low 28k miles AND the fact that there is rarely anyone in the passenger seat, I'm reluctant to have the recall done. I just know they'll destroy the dash and not give a (removed) because it's not their car! Plus they get these young pups who are paid the least to perform the surgery. No thanks ... I'll pass for now
Tim, the techs doing the recalls actually have to get certified to do it. Zane was mentioning that to me. And after doing probably 10 of them, they get to know the procedure well. We have taken in all 7 of our Vibes, plus my brother's Corolla. None of us have had any sort of fitment issue or broken parts. Of course, every dealer [and tech] is different.

I'm sure you'd be diligent and take many before pictures, especially on the second gen since much of the dash gets disassembled.

When you're back in this area, if you're worried run to Jones Chevrolet down in Starbrick, PA where we had ours done. The guys there were pretty good about it.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
PonchoGT

Post by PonchoGT »

The dealer balked at eating the replacement cost of my dash repair. Said there was nothing they could do since GM no longer stocks the part and they questioned why I waited so long to register a complaint.

Well, excuse me for not noticing the panel gap in my dash until a month or so after their botched repair. They also refused to order the comparable Toyota Matrix part (which is still available). I was pissed, but didn't want to bother with the hassle of small claims court.

I ended up ordering it from a reputable online salvage yard for $75.00 and installing it myself. Needless to say, I won't return to THAT dealership again, even for warranty repair! :x