power steering fluid exchange

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
campb292

power steering fluid exchange

Post by campb292 »

I have a 2006 with about 230k. I have started getting a little noise turning the wheel usually characteristic of power steering pump issues. It has the original fluid. It isn't leaking but I figure I might as well change it out and see if it goes away before troubleshooting further to determine if the pump is on the slide or it might be a loose or slipping belt or tensioner. The noise happens while driving at low speeds and turning the wheel either way. It also occurs in P by just turning the wheel. No clunks thunks or other noises... car is running well and pretty darn smooth at all speeds.

I looked in the reservoir and the fluid is clear with a hint of yellow. The Valvoline Dex/Merc Dex-iii stuff I got is red. I was thinking of just siphoning out the reservoir and exchanging it little by little over the next few hundred miles. Can this stuff be mixed?
jolt

Re: power steering fluid exchange

Post by jolt »

You can change the fluid out by siphoning out the fluid or use a turkey baster to suck the fluid out and replace it. Why not buy power steering fluid, which is a yellowish clear fluid, and use that to replace the fluid with? I doubt that the fluid is going to change the noise. Check the pump or the steering rack for causing the noise.
GTwannabe

Post by GTwannabe »

The packaging of the PS fluid should indicate if it can be mixed with other fluids.

The pump us being worked hardest in P and at slow speeds.

Rather than just siphoning out the fluid you should flush the system. This is how I think I did it.

-jack the front tires
-pull the return line to the PS reservoir and block the exit so it doesn't all come out of the reservoir
-turn the wheel lock to lock while periodically filling with PS fluid until its the same color coming out as going in
-hook up the return line
-fill to the cold line
-run the car while turning lock to lock to get any air out, after the fluid gets hot fill to the hot line
Kendrick Lamar agrees... Keep your Vibe alive and well...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GF8aaTu2kg0
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

I agree the fluid flush will likely do nothing. If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it probably is the pump. Good luck with the project.
campb292

Post by campb292 »

Thank you all for the input. I decided to first try changing the fluid after reading recommendations in threads here related to the symptoms I have with my steering. The process seems easy and not too inconvenient for 8 bucks. As for your question @jolt, I would certainly use "power steering fluid" as you mentioned but the manual doesn't seem to specify what power steering fluid. It just lists Dexron-III ATF as the power steering fluid in the manual (pg 6-19).
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Empty reservoir via transfer pump/refill with a store brand Dexron III ATF/repeat is all I've done thus far. First time was at 13 years/112k mi. Personally, I wasn't too concerned with mixing since the power steering fluid cap states Dexron ATF. I went with the assumption that despite the color difference, whatever was in there from the factory would have to be compatible with what they tell me use... :lol:

The flush method above would certainly be more preferable - after a few drain & fills, I can see I still have a fair amount of original fluid in there. But I wasn't having any problems, I just wanted it to have *some* fresh fluid. And I didn't feel like yanking the line and likely making a mess. :D If it had higher mileage or if I were having issues I would probably make the extra effort and flush it completely.

It's been a couple years and 12,000 miles or so with varying degrees of mixed fluid - nothing remarkable to write home about. I'll do another drain & fill before winter.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
joebiloba

Post by joebiloba »

Just got done doing this to mine- 2005 GT 256K. To my knowledge the fluid had never been changed, so I decided it was time. I used a Dex-iii ATF and flushed the whole system out. Here's the video I found:

https://youtu.be/mBv4JkBYCW4

Aside from spilling some fluid it was no problem.