tips for replacing brake hose?

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
djan2000

tips for replacing brake hose?

Post by djan2000 »

Hi everyone,

I took the tires off our 2009 Vibe GT to inspect the brake pads, hoses, lube things, etc., and noticed the passenger side rear brake hose has a "gouge" out of it. It literally looks like someone just scooped a chunk out of it about 1 inch long, and about 1/3 of the way deep into the hose. Anyway, I plan on replacing it this weekend. I've done many brake jobs, but never replaced a brake hose. I watched a few videos on youtube for generic brake hose replacement and brake bleeding, but I'm just wondering if there are any specifics for this car. I already ordered the brake hose, I have brake fluid, a bleeder setup (bottle, hoses), and a 10mm flare nut wrench (which I hope is the correct size), along with all my other tools.

Any tips, suggestions, or anything else I need to know before diving in?

Also, do I need to just bleed the passenger rear brake (since that's where I'm changing the hose), or do all of the brakes need to be bled?

Thanks in advance,
Dave
2009 Vibe GT Red Hot Metallic
jayoldschool

Re: tips for replacing brake hose?

Post by jayoldschool »

Crack the bleeder before to know if you need to replace the caliper/wheel cylinder (disc/drum). If it opens, you're good. YOu can get away with bleeding that corner, but it would be good to bleed them all and get fresh fluid through.
djan2000

Re: tips for replacing brake hose?

Post by djan2000 »

Did the job this evening. It was very smooth and quick - much easier than I anticipated. Bleeding the brakes was also much easier than I thought - it helps that my son was working the brake pedal, while I worked the bleeder valve. Thanks for the tip!
2009 Vibe GT Red Hot Metallic