Lug nuts

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
vibrologist

Lug nuts

Post by vibrologist »

I just ran across this FB post by Ken Lee:

I just found this old photo I made up on my tablet. Our stock lug nut is 21mm. Sometimes shops will use a 7/8" and mess up the stupid chrome jacket. When the jacket is distorted, the 21mm will either not fit over the nut or the nut will get stuck in the socket. When this happens, you can cut a slot in the top of the jacket, insert a big slotted screwdriver and with a sharp twist, crack it open to reveal the actual steel nut. The nut underneath is a 20mm, but who has one of those?! Not me! A 13/16" will work just fine.
Lugnuts and sockets 9(2).jpg
Lugnuts and sockets 9(2).jpg (56.03 KiB) Viewed 1532 times
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
jolt

Re: Lug nuts

Post by jolt »

This is why you should never use a impact gun on jacketed wheel nuts. It will pound the jacket on the nut, distorting the jacket metal so that the socket does not fit, or the jacket splits and falls off the nut on its own. Only use some type of breaker bar to get the wheel nuts loose and tightened. Over tightening wheel nuts can also cause warped hubs and rotors. The main point here is not to use a impact gun when tightening wheel nuts as you can do more damage. The poor thing is you see this all the time at tire shops but this can bring in more work for them down the road, so they do not care.

Also make sure to put a small amount of anti-seize on the stud threads and the outside of the nut where the nut is inside of rim stud hole (the straight portion of nut) if you have aluminum rims. I have seen nuts corroded into the rim where the nut would not come loose from the rim. This happens in the north with road salt use that cause corrosion and the owner does not rotate the tires.
jayoldschool

Post by jayoldschool »

NEVER put anti-seize on lug threads! This causes incorrect torque values (by approx 40%). Lug nuts are to go on dry and clean, as specified in the factory service manual. If anyone here has anti-seize on their lugs, I highly encourage you to remove all the lug nuts, clean properly, reinstall, and use a torque wrench.

The jacketed lug nut is a problem in rust-prone areas. The lug nut rusts under the jacket, swelling the outer surface, making it impossible to use a socket. The outer layer has to be removed in order to remove the nut.
bigdoug

Post by bigdoug »

I actually have a problem with the seriously distorted ones. For those I use a 22mm socket, which works but is a bit loose. They will all be replaced once I order some new lug nuts.