2009 Vibe 2.4L 5 speed auto transmission filter

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
Spiff

2009 Vibe 2.4L 5 speed auto transmission filter

Post by Spiff »

G'day

I've searched the forum and on the net with no luck on the filter info.

I'm new to the Vibe world with a 2009 Vibe 2.4L 5 speed automatic. This forum was invaluable in pointing out the error in the manual and that my car needs ATF WS as indicated on the dip stick :D

The car has 120k miles and shifts perfectly. I don't believe in lifetime fluid and I'm going to do a tranny drain and dump the pan service to the car (x2 to get the fluid out of the torque converter). I'm getting mixed info in regards to the tranny filter. Is the filter easily changed out? Some info I'm getting is that it isn't serviceable. Has anyone changed out the filter?

Thanks
Spiff
jolt

Re: 2009 Vibe 2.4L 5 speed auto transmission filter

Post by jolt »

Here is my reply to another post on this board about changing the filter:

"On my 2.4L it was pull the drain plug, remove pan bolts and drop pan. Take the three filter bolts out and remove filter. Make sure "O" ring seal is on new filter and install filter with the three filter mounting/valve body bolts. Torque bolts to spec. Clean pan and magnets. Install pan gasket on pan with pan bolts and bolt pan to transmission. Torque pan bolts to spec.

The hard part for me was getting the fluid level correct. The transmission fluid is a low viscosity fluid that is hard to see on the dip stick when hot. I used Mag1 low viscosity full synthetic fluid that meets the WS standards. I think if I bead blast the end of the dip stick, it would be easier to see the oil level on it. Put the 3.5 qt of oil in it and you should be very close. The 2009 & 2010 4 and 5 speed AT all have the same torque spec for the filter and the pan bolts and is as follows:
Filter bolts - 11 N-m or 97 lb in
Pan - 8 N-m or 71 lb in

Note: "lb in" and NOT foot pounds.

Just keep it clean, use WS rated fluid, and use a good torque wench."

To find the right filter, count the number of bolts that hold the oil pan on and look at the shape of the pan flange. That will tell you if you have the right filter kit. In my 2009 2.4L 5 speed, I used a FK-347 kit. I think a Wix #58010 would have fit too.

If you are looking at WS fluid, you can check here for compatible fluids: https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/ver ... id.373083/
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Spiff wrote: This forum was invaluable in pointing out the error in the manual and that my car needs ATF WS as indicated on the dip stick :D
What up Spiff !!! :lol: Yeah when I bought the three book volume set of Helms manuals some 7-8 years ago for my 2009 Vibe Gt, I was shocked at the errors published in the books. Too many carryover items pertaining to the 03-08 Vibes that never left the books! Update your profile showing location & also introduce yourself with pics of the Vibe. Welcome to GenVibe ;)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Spiff

Post by Spiff »

Thanks for the replies.
It was very straight forward with no issues. Stuck with the WS fluid. Kinda gun shy about "compatible fluids"

Thanks
spiff