Bolt gurus (pics fixed, hopefully)

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
ImUrOBGYN

Bolt gurus (pics fixed, hopefully)

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

Had to tear a bolt up circled in red on one of my rear struts. Would like to replace it but I'm not sure what I'm looking for when I goto Lowe's, or wherever I end up, to look. I've got an idea, but surely someone knows for sure. Things like bolt strength, pitch, etc. I do know it's a 14mm recess hex washer head. Just tell me exactly what to grab from the hardware store if possible, please.

My next question is a bit of stretch, but in case anyone knows what nylon locking nuts that need to be purchased to replace the ones on the front and the rear strut piston rods of the Tokico HP blues (front and back are different sizes). I've circled the nuts from the rears in red. (The pic is from the rears but the same nuts as on the front only a different size.)
Last edited by ImUrOBGYN on Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage
MacGyver

Re: Bolt gurus

Post by MacGyver »

We can't see your pics. You can upload them here if you shrink their size to 130 kb or less.
2009 Vibe Base
jayoldschool

Post by jayoldschool »

Can't see pics. It will be metric, grade 8...
ImUrOBGYN

Re: Bolt gurus (pics fixed, hopefully)

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

Pics fixed. Sorry, that seems to happen everytime I use google photos. Please try again, all. I need these asap.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage
jayoldschool

Post by jayoldschool »

Quickest way will be to call (or better, visit) a Toyota dealer. Their parts diagram will have the exact specs, and they'll likely have it in stock. Yes, it will be more expensive than Lowes. If you want it fast and cheap, then anything that fits in the hole will work.
gtv237

Post by gtv237 »

jayoldschool wrote:Can't see pics. It will be metric, grade 8...
There aren't grade 8 metric bolts. There's class 8.8 and 10.9. Class 10.9 is closer to SAE grade 8.

As far as thread size and pitch it is probably M8 x 1.5
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

I figured I could try Toyota, but Lowe's is far more convenient for me. Push comes to shove and I'll give Toyota a call. According the manual, the marking on the head of the bolt indicate a bolt strength class of 11T. Now, whatever that means specifically is beyond me.

Any other thoughts on the bolts or ideas on the nuts?
ImageImageImage