Maintenance over 200k

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
Aikouklis

Maintenance over 200k

Post by Aikouklis »

I just inherited a 2003 Vibe with 207k miles. Runs fine. Previous owner had the car since 100k miles and only did oil changes, brake pads and tires. Mechanic is checking out car for me tomorrow to make sure no major problems. My goal is to keep this car running for a couple more years without putting a ton of money into it. Looking for opinions on what maintenance I should do to accomplish this and keep the car starting and running in Midwest winters.
MacGyver

Re: Maintenance over 200k

Post by MacGyver »

Welcome to Genvibe!

My first concern would be to check and change the transmission fluid. If it has never been changed, that could mean transmission issues down the road. Mechanic can drain the tranny fluid and drop the pan to see if there are any metal shavings on the magnets in the pan.

The coolant needs to be changed.

Clean and lubricate the hood latch.

Check the belt and all the belt driven pulleys for smooth running.

Consider upgrading the battery to a more powerful unit with more CCA for those cold winter starts.
2009 Vibe Base
korax234

Post by korax234 »

Change the brake fluid. Change Transmission Fluid. And Lubricate the Gas Door Latch.
And the coolant needs changed.
Derf

Post by Derf »

If it has a little oil on the back of the engine, might need a tensioner o-ring replacement PCV valve may need replaced. Being the midwest, check for rust under the Vibe, especially along the driver side where the brake and fuel lines are located. If the front driver area looks dirty, might want to lift up the carpeting check for leftover liquids or rust. If it has a moon roof, open and check for debris along the edge.
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Also have your front end checked. I just replaced the inner/outer tie rods, stabilizer links and driver side control arm.
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on