Which ATF filter?

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
LazLong

Which ATF filter?

Post by LazLong »

I've got an '05 Vibe with A/T, and I would like to replace the ATF filter. However, when going to ATP's site I am offered two different types, depending on the transmission. They list one filter for the U340E/U341E transmission and another for the A245E/A246E transmission. Where can I find out which transmission I have?
Chiadog

Re: Which ATF filter?

Post by Chiadog »

If memory serves me, it's the A246E transmission! If buying locally, buy both and return the one that doesn't match.
Do be careful that the new filter is a perfect match for the old filter, especially concerning the "Dimples" that provide clearance for the tranny bolt heads above the mounted filter.
Better yet, reuse the old filter and just buy a new pan gasket from Toyota for $16, or was it $6? Your old filter is reusable because it doesn't contain a paper filter, only a screen which should outlive the car.
LazLong

Post by LazLong »

Chiadog wrote:If memory serves me, it's the A246E transmission! If buying locally, buy both and return the one that doesn't match.
Do be careful that the new filter is a perfect match for the old filter, especially concerning the "Dimples" that provide clearance for the tranny bolt heads above the mounted filter.
Better yet, reuse the old filter and just buy a new pan gasket from Toyota for $16, or was it $6? Your old filter is reusable because it doesn't contain a paper filter, only a screen which should outlive the car.
Can you remember which of these your filter looked like?

OR

ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

LazLong wrote:They list one filter for the U340E/U341E transmission and another for the A245E/A246E transmission. Where can I find out which transmission I have?
If you have a Base with FWD, it's the A245E/A246E.

If you have a Base with AWD, it's U340E/U341E.
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
jolt

Post by jolt »

I just looked at the shape of the pan gasket and counted the number of bolts in the pan to match up watch filter kit I needed before I took it apart.
LazLong

Post by LazLong »

ehoff121 wrote:
If you have a Base with FWD, it's the A245E/A246E.

If you have a Base with AWD, it's U340E/U341E.
Thanks! It's FWD. Sorry, wasn't thinking; I should definitely have included that in my original post. :oops:
EyeDocWA

Post by EyeDocWA »

In the 'for that it's worth' column, I had the same issue with my 2005 Matrix XR AWD. Which gasket set/ The parts guy said...'which do you have...the 18 or the 19 bolt pattern?" I said i didn't know (O'Reilly Auto Parts). He said to take both, and return the unusused one. I pulled the pan, counted 19 bolts, opened up the correct box, and it was a perfect fit. About $15 bucks with the filter. Since i had also replaced the CV axle, on the drivers side, i lost a LOT of fluid from the axle removal, and my replacement took almost 3.6 Quarts of Toyota T-IV fluid. Decided to go with what the factory recommended. All in all, a very easy job, given that they DID put in a drain bolt. Kudos to the unnamed engineer who insisted on helping a brother out.