2004 Vibe - Front Brakes - Hardware question....

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
gginnj

2004 Vibe - Front Brakes - Hardware question....

Post by gginnj »

I will need to change the front brakes on my 2004 Vibe - Looks straightforward enough....

Bought the rotors and pads. The only hardware that came with the pads were these 2 black clips (which I'm assuming
is a wear sensor?).

I've watched quite a few YouTube vids, and no one is putting any hardware on the pads - are these just not used
for my year vehicle?

I'm not talking about the slide clips that the pad ears slide into - those definitly were not in the pad box,
nor any replacement caliper slider boots - I may see about picking these items up at the local store.

If I am supposed to put on the wear sensors (if that is what they are) - where do they attach?

Thanks
jayoldschool

Re: 2004 Vibe - Front Brakes - Hardware question....

Post by jayoldschool »

They clip on the inboard pad and go inside the caliper piston.
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

The pictures are missing, but read this for some good info: viewtopic.php?t=24417

You can purchase a hardware kit that would include the shims, wear indicators, and pin boots for the whole axle. It's a good idea!
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
gginnj

Post by gginnj »

I picked up the hardware kit. Pulled the old brakes, and they were good - almost new, and the rotor was still smooth. Caliper pins were lubed good, and the pad clip had lube on it, so whoever did the brakes prior to us buying the car in March did ok - although neither inner pad had the wear indicator on it.
They clip on the inboard pad and go inside the caliper piston.
I can't see how that clip could possibly fit inside onto the piston and still touch the rotor, it's only about 1/2" long (below is a URL for the kit)
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/P ... oCcd_w_wcB
It looks like it attaches on the corner of the pad (where there is an indentation on the pads backing). Given it wasn't there I wasn't going to play with it on this go around.

We were hearing some rattling on the bumpy roads, and I thought I felt some grinding on the pedal - which is why I checked the brakes.
Well - I now have a spare set of pads and rotors for later - I'm guessing a couple years now....based on how well this pair is wearing.
Everything was nice and tight - the only thing I found loose was the plastic wheel well covering was missing about 3 bolts (or push pin things)
and was floppy - Guess it's back to the store for those things. Once we pin that back in place, if it's still rattling, guess it's off to the shop.
and hopefully the dept of transportation will get our main road fixed soon!!

It reminded me of how the ball joint sounds when it's bad - but it looked good - boot was intact and not mushy.
tie rods were intact also not mushy. Struts weren't leaking - although their boots were torn - and the car doesn't bounce excessively when pressed.
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

gginnj wrote: I thought I felt some grinding on the pedal - which is why I checked the brakes.
There are lots of things that could cause the brake pedal to vibrate when you are braking...

One cause can be over-torqued lug nuts. The spec is 78 ft. lbs. and going over this is easy with an air impact wrench.

Another cause can be warped rotors, especially if cheap rotors were put on.

Also, If you brake hard and leave the pedal down, it can leave pad residue on the rotor. Next time you brake, it scrapes under the pad.

On rusty rotors, first time you brake can sound like grinding until the pad removes the oxidation from the rotor surface.

Improper bedding of new pads can cause problems, too.

gginnj wrote: It looks like it attaches on the corner of the pad (where there is an indentation on the pads backing). Given it wasn't there I wasn't going to play with it on this go around.
It does attach to the pad right where you said. If there's no wear indicator, you'll need to be checking for wear yourself. If you hear squeaking, it's probably down to the pad backing!
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
gginnj

Post by gginnj »

Well, I found out what the noise was/is.

The inner wheel well (the plastic piece that attaches to the front of the car and and goes over the axle apparantly is
broken, and is currently zip tied to the frame, and was missing a few fasteners. I put in fasteners to anywhere
there was a mounting hole that was open - that helped a lot.

However....the part that runs alongside the transmission (just foward the axle) has nothing to secure to,
and bounces off the transmission housing on bumps (it's light plastic - don't think it will hurt the transmission) but
you can hear it "rattle" especially when you drive over areas that have small bumps that give more of a vibration.

I'm trying to find a good diagram, and/or pictures of what/how the inner fender attaches.

For now, I'd rather not buy a new one - I'll see what I can do that hack it for now - but at least I know where the noise is coming from,
or rather, where it's NOT coming from.