GM Dealer Maintenance Recommendations

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
jake75

GM Dealer Maintenance Recommendations

Post by jake75 »

Time for a LOF. The service advisor always hounds me that I need to (1) change the coolant, and (2) change the transmission fluid. My Vibe is a 2009 bought in Jan. 2009 so it is 7.5 years old and has only 40,000 miles. It has a Toyota engine and transmission. I think Toyota says that they use a long life coolant that does not need replacing until 100,000 miles or 10 years whichever comes first. They also say that the transmisson fluid never needs changing unless the vehicle has hard use, e.g. commercial. I see no reason to change either of these fluids at this point in time. Any comments?
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
jake75

Re: GM Dealer Maintenance Recommendations

Post by jake75 »

FYI - this is at a Chevy (formerly Pontiac) dealership that is close to where I live.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Yes: I had my tranny flushed at 60,000 miles at a Toyota dealer (I now have 99500 miles on the car). Thankfully they were smart enough to know that I needed World Standard fluid instead of the T-IV stated in my manual. The mechanic came out and said that I have WS stamped on my dipstick and the drain plug was a WS plug. So after speaking at length with the service writer who informed me that despite Toyota stating in their manuals that the WS fluid is "good for life," that the mechanics there have resolved "lots" of transmission issues on Toyota vehicles simply by putting in fresh WS fluid. I then negotiated a very low price on my service which made my decision easy. I think the "fluid for life" concept is ridiculous. Given your low mileage, I would recommend doing both flushes at 60,000. I don't believe the age of your vehicle matters on those two fluids. Certainly, as you are doing, keeping the engine oil changed at least twice a year on low mileage vehicles is essential given engine oil's capacity to fail over time. But for our Super Long Life Coolant in the second gen Vibe and the extended mileage tranny fluid, I think you are still fine at the mileage you stated. Regarding the coolant, I switched over to the Xerex Asian formula which is perfect for our car. Regarding the transmission fluid, as you wipe your transmission dipstick on a white cloth, are you still seeing cherry red or is the color beginning to fade to grey? That would be the first indication that it is time for fresh fluid.
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

I think the "fluid for life" concept is ridiculous.
Beer bump on this one!
How the heck do they define "Lifetime" for vehicles? Duration of warranty? Until it's broken? Killed by satanic intervention?

You will extend the "lifetime" of the transmission by replacing the "lifetime" tranny fluid every 50000 to 10000000 miles. You will also enjoy a smoother operating transmission because the particles that the clutches and bands release will be removed. Makes sense to me, because clutches are made of friction materials.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Oh, and in addition to the Xerex Asian coolant being compatible with the Toyota pink Super Long Life fluid, I believe Amsoil now has a compatible synthetic tranny fluid which states on the bottle that it is WS compliant. Soooo, there is no longer a need to go to the "Toyota" dealership to have either of these fluids changed. Your mechanic can now perform them at a much reduced price no doubt.
sideshowalan

Post by sideshowalan »

Valvoline Maxlife is also WS and T-IV compatible. Use that for all my Toyota applications.
2008 Pontiac Vibe
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
(Former 2003 5-speed Vibe owner)
circuitsmith

Post by circuitsmith »

I'm a low mileage driver.
I only drive 3x a week, but no real short trips.
Since I DIY most things I take a conservative approach; cheap insurance.
I changed the coolant & power steering fluid at 5 years and 24K miles.
Now at 10 years and 57K miles I'm about to do it again. Plus a new thermostat and radiator cap.
Changed the spark plugs and checked valve clearance a couple days ago.
If I had an auto trans I'd change the fluid every 30K or so. I do the same with the manual.
I flush the brake fluid every 3 years.
2006 Matrix 5-sp
jake75

Post by jake75 »

At 10 years I will probably be at about 55,000 miles. So if I am still alive, and if I have this 2009 Vibe in early 2019 I guess I will have those fluids changed. I think I will head to a Toyota dealer to have that done. But I will pull the transmission dip stick and see what the color of the fluid is this week.
jake75

Post by jake75 »

Just got back from a dealer LOF and the total backlog of recall repairs. I don't know if my 12 month 5,000 mile oil change is adequate but that is what it was this past year. I suspect we only drive it 4 days out of 7.
The dealer no longer is the bargain it once was. LOF is now $35. An AAA auto service place very near to me has LOF coupons all the time for $22 and they use semi-synthetic oil. The dealer has this xx point inspection as part of an oil change but I don't think they really do it - they just checkoff boxes. They says my front and rear brake linings are 7mm or greater. How can that be at 40,000 miles? I am reasonably certain I need an air filter. Will have to see if I can just change that myself. They claim they topped off my coolant. Hope that Dexcool is compatible wit the Toyota Longlife.
Recommended maintenance is coolant flush, transmission service, fuel service, alignment and "nitrro" (assume nitrogen in tires). Surprised than an exorcism was not part of all that.
In regard to the recall, parts need to be ordered for two of them - the gas pedal,and the airbag spring.
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Jake: I hope they did not top off your fluid with Dexcool. That is not compatible with SLLC (Super Long Life Coolant) from Toyota. If you know they did this, and/or it says so on the work order, you should have them flush it all out and put in SLLC or Xerex Asian which is the same as the Toyota pink: both being free of Silicate and Borate. As I have recommended to others before, take a large tip black sharpie and write TOYOTA SLLC ONLY on the top side of the overflow reservoir. It is the only way to keep these stupid GM "carwreckers" from ruining your Corolla.
jake75

Post by jake75 »

To Caretaker: I am pretty sure they used Dexcool to top it off. I will ask but based on my experience at this dealer with a 2003 Vibe the dealer will just believe the GM information that the OEM is Dexcool. From what I read Dexcool is also now "pink". [didn't Dexcool used to be "orange".] I doubt that the coolant recovery reservoir was very low so I hope this is not a major compatibility issue.
circuitsmith

Post by circuitsmith »

jake75 wrote:They says my front and rear brake linings are 7mm or greater. How can that be at 40,000 miles? I am reasonably certain I need an air filter. Will have to see if I can just change that myself.
Brake pad wear depends very much on how and where you drive.
I drive gently, coasting as much as possible (without annoying drivers) anticipating stops, about 50/50 city/highway.
The last time I changed pads (on an '88 Accord) it was after 70,000 miles; and they could have gone further, but the rotors were getting rough.
Last time I rotated the tires on the Matrix at 50,000 miles the pads were still >7mm.
2006 Matrix 5-sp
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

jake75 wrote: I doubt that the coolant recovery reservoir was very low so I hope this is not a major compatibility issue.
Draining the contaminated reservoir and refilling it with The proper coolant would be cheap insurance.