PCV Valve

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
edennis

PCV Valve

Post by edennis »

Hello,

I want to check on my PCV valve, but it seems it would take a lot of force to unscrew it. In fact it's even hard to tell that the bolt part is a seperate piece of metal from the body. Should I just really go for it and torque the ratchet? When I re-tighten it should I get it really tight again? I'm assuming since it is so hard to remove that it hasn't been checked in a while.

Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks in advance,

Eric
circuitsmith

Re: PCV Valve

Post by circuitsmith »

3/8" drive ratchet? I have an 8"(iirc) breaker bar for the tough ones.
If that couldn't do the job then I'd soak it with PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench.
I wouldn't put it back on real tight.
You can get a torque wrench if you don't trust your instincts.
2006 Matrix 5-sp
Derf

Post by Derf »

The factory and aftermarket PCV valves have a coating on the treads to keep them from corroding (aluminum valve cover+ steel PCV valve together = mess) Possibly the coating is bound up in the treads, or if a replacement, it did not have a coating and the PCV valve has corroded in place. Soak the threads, may have to rock back and forth lightly to break free. Should not be that tight going back in, make sure to clean the threads going into the valve cover.
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

The PCV valve was a bear to crack loose on ours, it was the original in there for 13 years/~109k mi. It was a bit unsettling to get out of there but fortunately no ill effects. I resorted to a 1/2" drive ratchet with a deep well socket.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
BenWA

Post by BenWA »

Mine was very tight also but a long handled ratchet got it ok. The new OEM replacement had the green stuff on the threads, plus I used copper anti-seize on the threads.

More on this subject...

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=35419#p511745
2003 Vibe Base A/T
edennis

Post by edennis »

Awesome- thanks for the encouragement and extra info. I'll check it out.

Eric
edennis

Post by edennis »

I just got my PCV Valve off my 04' base to check it out. I'm guessing it may have never been replaced (184k miles)- though I'm not sure- here's a pic:
Is this what I'm looking for to replace it with? http://www.amazon.com/Toyota-12204-2204 ... B00KTG52A8
Attachments
PCV Valve.jpg
PCV Valve.jpg (96.66 KiB) Viewed 2374 times
PonchoGT

Post by PonchoGT »

A 3/8" O2 sensor socket and a shot of PB Blaster is what I used to coax mine out.
jolt

Post by jolt »

Anything with thread sealant or thread locker comes out a lot easier if you do it when the engine is hot. If you are careful, heating the threaded area with a propane torch also softens the thread sealant but care must be used so that you do not damage the cover gasket with to much heat.