Toyota Matrix AWD/FWD Hubs vs GM or Aftermarket?

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
2005AWD

Toyota Matrix AWD/FWD Hubs vs GM or Aftermarket?

Post by 2005AWD »

Does anyone know what Toyota sells for the Matrix are better than what GM or aftermarket offers? I need hubs for the AWD rears. Am I correct to think the AWD front hubs are the same as the FWD hubs? Because of their pain to replace, I wouldn't mind paying more for a quality part.
I tried to research the difference and only found 04shadowvibe mentioning the Toyota rear end seals are lower priced than the GM seals:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=38156&p=429302&hil ... ls#p429302

Oh..I saw Timken makes a hub that's a little pricey. I found posts saying Timken isn't quite the quality that they once were. Any insight on their hubs (especially AWD rear)?
jayoldschool

Re: Toyota Matrix AWD/FWD Hubs vs GM or Aftermarket?

Post by jayoldschool »

Use Timken or another US/Canadian made brand for the rears. No China. Fronts aren't hubs, they're press off/on bearings. Use Timken again. I just did my right front with Timken. What a difference!
2005AWD

Post by 2005AWD »

jayoldschool wrote:Use Timken or another US/Canadian made brand for the rears. No China. Fronts aren't hubs, they're press off/on bearings. Use Timken again. I just did my right front with Timken. What a difference!
Where were your Timken bearings made? Some sites showed "China" stamped on the Timken sealed bearings. SCARRY!!!
2005AWD

Post by 2005AWD »

If anyone has some miles on their hubs/bearings that they've replaced, please tell me their good and bad reviews on them? Has anyone replaced theirs with GM or Toyota Matrix hubs/bearings? I'm especially curious about the AWD rear hubs. GM's are $895+ and the Matrix are only $297 + tax. Matrix are still twice the cost of the Timken. My local Toyota dealership didn't have any hubs where he could look at the packaging to tell the country of orgin. He thinks they are made in Japan. Thanks again for your insight!
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

2005AWD wrote:Where were your Timken bearings made? Some sites showed "China" stamped on the Timken sealed bearings. SCARRY!!!
What matters the most is what specifications and such the manufacturer wants the factory to make the parts to. Assembly in China isn't necessarily a bad thing, unless the brand is wanting to cut even more corners as well. I don't think Timken is cutting extra corners.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
2005AWD

Post by 2005AWD »

I found an Amazon seller lists the Timken AWD rear hub (first Link) and the Timken front wheel bearing (second Link) as both being made in China. I really hope Timken is checking tolerances and build quality closely because The name "China" on their bearing will ruin 100+ years of a great brand name!

The last two Links are interesting threads about Chinese bearings. The first one brings up a few good points. The Chinese will stamp anything onto the part that the purchasing company wants. With so many knock offs being made, do we even know where the quality part we think we're buying is made. It's all about PROFITS!!!

Some posters in the last two Links mention repacking the bearings with high quality grease. I've never seen the Vibe bearings. Has anyone ever repacked their Vibe front or rear wheel bearings? If so how did they do it. One poster talks about pulling the seal on a bearing. On the Bob the Oil Guy thread, NHguy brings up a good point in the 85h post in the Bob the Oil Guy thread. He says avoid buying hub assemblies at all cost because you can't get to the bearings to replace the bad grease with high quality grease. I've never seen a Vibe read hub offered without the bearing. Can the bearing in a Vibe hub assembly be pressed out, repacked and then pressed back on? The rear hub bearings could be a totally different design than the front wheel bearings. I see Harbor Freight offers a DIY bearing press kit. Anyone ever use it?

I would buy the Matrix rear hub assemblies if I knew they were the same one's originally put on the car. Lets face it $297 + tax for one that lasts 10 years isn't that bad.

Sorry to make this so long, but I thought the info would help people. Thanks for your help and insight!!!

Timken Rear AWD hub:
http://www.amazon.com/Timken-HA590002-A ... op?ie=UTF8

Timken front bearing:
http://www.amazon.com/Timken-510063-Whe ... en+bearong

China Timken Thread
http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cob ... china.html

Bob the Oil Guy Thread
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub ... er=2593442
2005AWD

Post by 2005AWD »

Has anyone ever had their AWD rear hubs replaced at the GM dealership or bought the GM replacements? I'm curious if Toyota supplies them to GM or if GM outsources them from a cheap maker? I bet it's the latter!