Loud Startup......2008 base

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
mktrat

Loud Startup......2008 base

Post by mktrat »

vibrologist wrote:
mktrat wrote: Still trying to figure out my noisy warmup. I start the car and let it run, it starts off really loud (like an exhaust leak) then as the engine warms up it quiets down. Inside the cabin smells a bit of exhaust? When I accelerate I get lifter like noise. It's probably all related, I'm thinking maybe the exhaust manifold gasket?

Any ideas Guys/Gals?
Use a piece of paper and hold it near the places that you suspect to leak while the engine idles. Disconnect the fan if needed. Alternately use a length of garden hose as a stethoscope to narrow down where the noise comes from.

Just got a P0171 code. Intake gasket has never been replaced (I am the original owner) so maybe start there? I can knock that job out pretty easy so for the cost of the gasket, it probably should be fixed anyway.
vibrologist

Re: Loud Startup......2008 base

Post by vibrologist »

That would be a good start. When I replaced mine the Toyota Dealer gave me a new black gasket. I expected an orange colored updated version. I wanted to replace the TB gasket as well but they did not have it handy. I used sensor save silicone along the outside circumference of the the original gasket.
Find a Toyota Matrix VIN for the matching model to use when you go to the Toyota dealer.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
mktrat

Post by mktrat »

vibrologist wrote:That would be a good start. When I replaced mine the Toyota Dealer gave me a new black gasket. I expected an orange colored updated version. I wanted to replace the TB gasket as well but they did not have it handy. I used sensor save silicone along the outside circumference of the the original gasket.
Find a Toyota Matrix VIN for the matching model to use when you go to the Toyota dealer.

The more I'm thinking about it, I think it's on the exhaust side of things. Something that expands when it heats up, and seals. Thoughts?
jayoldschool

Post by jayoldschool »

Sound going away on heat up is classic exhaust leak. Block to manifold, broken manifold bolt, manifold to down pipe are the three likely causes.
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

I'll trust jayoldschool on that.
Put it on jack stands and run it in cold idle mode feel for leaks with your hands. Without touching metal of course.

However: A lean code is still there and most likely it is caused by a vacuum leak on the intake side. Once it is warmed up the computer tries to compensate which can also affect the sound of the engine.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

mktrat

Post by mktrat »

vibrologist wrote:I'll trust jayoldschool on that.
Put it on jack stands and run it in cold idle mode feel for leaks with your hands. Without touching metal of course.

However: A lean code is still there and most likely it is caused by a vacuum leak on the intake side. Once it is warmed up the computer tries to compensate which can also affect the sound of the engine.

Actually the code cleared. I'll try to get it on stands tomorrow.

What's "cold idle mode"?
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Idle after cold start. At that time the computer is in "open Mode" using programmed data. Once the ECT sensor tells the computer that the engine is warm it will switch to "closed mode" and use the data from all the sensors.

For you it is simple: for as long as it is running loud you can find the leaks.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

mktrat

Post by mktrat »

So I followed the suggestion of jack stands and hands/paper to find the leaks. Yeah, NO.

My baby is going to the doctor, she has an appt this afternoon. Hopefully it'll only be minor surgery. :lol:
Jbenrod

Post by Jbenrod »

I would guess you might find the leak at the exhaust manifold to pipe connection coming out of the rear of the engine. If this is it then these are the parts that will need to be replaced:

Vibe exhaust bolts|springs and gasket
Walker 36454 + 31639

Let us know what you found out.
2005 Base - 220k
mktrat

Post by mktrat »

Exhaust Manifold replacement......... :shock:

That's a kick in the teeth.
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

mktrat wrote:Exhaust Manifold replacement......... :shock:

I have a good spare in storage if you live in TX.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
mktrat

Post by mktrat »

lannvouivre wrote:
mktrat wrote:Exhaust Manifold replacement......... :shock:

I have a good spare in storage if you live in TX.

I truly appreciate that, but Michigan is home for me.
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

Junk Yard would be cheaper!
mktrat

Post by mktrat »

Chiadog wrote:Junk Yard would be cheaper!

True.

And yet, I have virtually no replacement part cost into this car after 8.5 years of ownership (regular maintenance excluded). I'll take the hit on this and make it easier for myself. My time is too precious these days.

Sorry to totally go against the genvibe ways, but sometimes.......
mktrat

Post by mktrat »

She is all better, even though the first part that was ordered was defective from the stealership.

$700 dollars and no broken bolts later she purrs again.
SOMWS6

Post by SOMWS6 »

Hello! :) New here, but not necessarily to Vibes or cars.

Would those headers work on a 2003 Vibe GT? I have a busted manifold, and am surprised how difficult it is to find an inexpensive repair. These would repair, and maybe add some (intentional) noise. Thanks for the help.
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

No, it's different.

https://www.amazon.com/DC-Sports-THC440 ... B0049TY7YS

THC4403 is the one you'd need, although the GT manifold is actually already a header. If you can get a GT replacement used one, that would be about the same.