Replacing AC compressor....any advice ?

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
cptnsolo77

Replacing AC compressor....any advice ?

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Took the Vibe down to a local shop and the compressor is shot. I know I need to replace the filter drier as well. Has anyone taclked this project ? I searched but all I could find is a clutch swap. I tried other sites too. LOOKS pretty simple, but we know that can be decieving. 3 bolts, a connector for the pressure switch and the suction/discharge lines which is one bolt.
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
Chiadog

Re: Replacing AC compressor....any advice ?

Post by Chiadog »

I haven't done it to a Vibe, but I've done several compressor swaps on other vehicles and I found it to be very easy and straightforward! AC Shop evacuates system - you do the swap - AC Shop adds the correct AC oil (if necessary) and charges the system, etc. No sweat.
trb

Post by trb »

I replaced the whole ac system on my Mustang. It was not too hard, once I figured out that I was missing an O ring on the low pressure switch! I used the vacuum pump and gauges from Autozone to evacuate the system and pull a vacuum on it to dry it out, making sure it did not have any leaks, then I filled it with refrigerant to the proper amount. It was working great when the engine blew a few years later.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Thx guys, it looks pretty straightforward. I found a couple of youtube vids to guide me as well. Dont forget compressor oil if not preoiled 8-)
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

trb wrote:I replaced the whole ac system on my Mustang. It was not too hard, once I figured out that I was missing an O ring on the low pressure switch! I used the vacuum pump and gauges from Autozone to evacuate the system and pull a vacuum on it to dry it out, making sure it did not have any leaks, then I filled it with refrigerant to the proper amount. It was working great when the engine blew a few years later.
Great idea! I didn't know Autozone had gauges / vacuum pumps.
How did you ensure there were no leaks before charging the system? Let it sit 24 hours and recheck system pressure?
trb

Post by trb »

Chiadog wrote:
trb wrote:I replaced the whole ac system on my Mustang. It was not too hard, once I figured out that I was missing an O ring on the low pressure switch! I used the vacuum pump and gauges from Autozone to evacuate the system and pull a vacuum on it to dry it out, making sure it did not have any leaks, then I filled it with refrigerant to the proper amount. It was working great when the engine blew a few years later.
Great idea! I didn't know Autozone had gauges / vacuum pumps.
How did you ensure there were no leaks before charging the system? Let it sit 24 hours and recheck system pressure?

Most shops vacuum it down to -29? or whatever the lowest it will go, and then make sure it does not loose vacuum over a certain time period. I ran the vacuum pump for several hours to dry it out and then left it over night just to be sure it held the vacuum, and then charged it up to specs. It was kind of an experiment since I converted the system over to r134a with a bigger condenser to help with cooling. I ended up getting with a friend that does AC work on cars to locate the leak since he has a leak detector. It was pretty obvious when he put it over by the pressure switch!
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car