Recently Purchased a 2003 Pontiac Vibe Base Model...5 Speed...

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
nerdydaddyo

Recently Purchased a 2003 Pontiac Vibe Base Model...5 Speed...

Post by nerdydaddyo »

I'm new to the site so I apologize in advance if I'm repeating a similar post. I recently purchased a 2003 Pontiac Vibe base model with a five speed manual transmission. As those who are aware of the five speed transmission issues may be reading this, I'm sure you're laughing hard at the late-in-the-game discovery right now, but I had no idea it was an issue until it happened to me. Only after searching the Internet for the cause and finding this site were my eyes opened to such a dirty coverup by GM/Toyota in regards to the Toyota C59 five speed manual transmission which was used in the Pontiac Vibe, the Toyota Matrix, and the Toyota Corolla for several years.

Like many who purchased the Vibe/Matrix for the five speed manual transmission (but could not go for the six speed GT/XRS/M-Theory due to its poorer fuel economy and jaw-dropping price tag), I was excited to find a base model five speed in mint condition with only 67,000 miles on it and one owner. It's sole purpose was to replace my 2005 Nissan Quest van (equally a maintenance magnet) for my long commute to work since the fuel economy in the van was around 19 MPG combined. The Vibe was obviously smaller, but it had such a nice interior and handling to it that I could learn to live with less space.

About a month ago I was driving to work and I heard this obnoxious grinding sound that intensified only with acceleration between 4th and 5th gear, but not as much in 1st through 3rd. I dismissed it as being road salt since we had a lot of snow recently. Well, in a matter of days, I was on my way home from work when the sound went ballistic. I first heard a loud snap, then a metallic whirring sound, followed by immediate decrease in power. This happened at night on a two lane highway with no lighting on top of a hill, and the vehicle was not able to be moved. The transmission was completely seized and could not be taken out of gear. Efforts to push the vehicle out of the roadway were unsuccessful, even with the help of two other people. Having a mechanical background, my first thought was clutch failure, but that's highly unusual at such low mileage. The fact that it was also freezing rain and around 19 degrees F outside wasn't making the situation any more safe.

Once a flatbed tow truck arrived hours later (I live in the country and the Vibe broke down 25 miles from my house), I was able to get the car back home and in my driveway. We were still experiencing snow, so immediate repairs would not be possible outside. My first step was to figure out how to maneuver the car into my garage. In the snow and cold, I removed the half shaft and then reassembled the car. From there, the car inched its way into the garage with some assistance and ice cleats. Once in the garage, I placed the Vibe on jack stands and began to disassemble the vehicle when I realized that there was nothing wrong with the clutch or the slave cylinder: it was completely the transmission at fault.

Thanks to this group, I was able to learn that the SIX speed manual transmission, for whatever reason (possibly a cost cutting move since the GT was more expensive), was built better than the FIVE speed manual transmission offered on base models. I also read that the two were interchangeable and almost nothing needed to be carried over (IMPORTANT! You WILL need to swap out BOTH five speed manual transmission CV axles for the six speed manual transmission CV axles as the five speed CV axles are not long enough for the six speed manual transmission. If you do not, serious damage could occur due to the play of 1/4 inch on either side which amounts to 1/2 inch; that's A LOT). The next step would be trying to find someone somewhere who was selling that particular six speed manual transmission, because let's face it, if the five speed manual transmission has a catastrophic failure eventually, why buy another one?

With some luck on eBay, I was able to score a low mileage six speed manual transmission complete with a brand new, unused clutch kit without going too far into the hole (total price of 900 bucks: add that to the 7k I spent to buy the car). As I journeyed into the repair, I learned that the transmission output shaft seals, both left and right, are a nightmare to find. National Oil Seals list the left as 710419 and the right as 710199. I can tell you that they looked NOTHING like what was on either the five speed or the six speed. The most correct part was the SKF Seal that NAPA sells, 13616, that is nearly IDENTICAL to the left seal. For the right, I skipped that 710199 and instead used the 710110. Neither leak at all. The rear main oil seal was a must since I was already in there; it wasn't leaking, but given the age of the vehicle, it was a good idea to replace it (NAPA had a Japanese made seal through the Altrom Imports brand and it looked even better than the original). I also had to replace the radiator and upper/lower hoses, but that was because the radiator had damage I didn't see at first. I went with a Denso radiator since it was closest to factory, and the hoses were NAPA/Gates.

Beyond that, everything bolted right up (using the EXACT same speed sensor that came with the six speed manual transmission; no need to exchange, but keep the old one as a spare). The shifter knob will eventually need to be replaced (for appearance only), and again, thanks to this site I have that OEM part number and know how to eventually get it. I am still looking into the TWM Short Throw Shifter and I expect it will take some time to locate since it's discontinued. Now that the reverse gear is far left and up instead of far right and down, it comes really close to the 12V outlet where I plug my phone in. I think the TWM Short Shifter's reduction in stick height will help considerably. I am also looking into all of the other suggested maintenance things: I've already purchased the orange intake manifold gasket and the throttle body gasket for the next warm day I have with nothing else going on, and I read up on the VVT valve cleaning as well and hope to get started on that next. If anyone has ANY suggestions or more potential issues I need to know about, please don't hesitate to reply. Thank you and glad to be part of such a helpful community.
Last edited by nerdydaddyo on Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:18 am, edited 24 times in total.
Me, my Vibe, and the open road...
lannvouivre

Re: Recently Purchased a 2003 Pontiac Vibe Base Model...5 Speed...

Post by lannvouivre »

Here's another short shifter you may consider:
http://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/produ ... ts_id=1195
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
nerdydaddyo

Post by nerdydaddyo »

I saw the MWR short shifter recommended in a thread on here before, but it looked like the reduction in stick height was not as much. The TWM short shifter claims a height reduction of 2.5 inches. That's a lot and possibly enough to make going into reverse a little less tight. I will keep the MWR version in mind but will keep searching for the TWM model until all options are exhausted. Thanks for the link to the MWR short shifter by the way!
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Welcome to the forum, nerdydaddyo!
What a story. As far as April fools jokes go that is a really bad one. But you got it fixed, so enjoy it!
Post some pictures, will yeah?
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
nerdydaddyo

Post by nerdydaddyo »

I totally forgot what day it was when I wrote that post yesterday! :lol: No, this was a real situation. The day the breakdown took place was March 3, 2015 which makes it almost a month ago today. The initial repair took 10 days total with locating the transmission/having it shipped and matching up the correct seals taking the longest. I did a tally of what the investment has been so far not counting new tools purchased (I don't count those because they can be reused for another repair or another vehicle altogether) and so far I'm only at 1350. So not too bad; definitely could have been worse. As soon as the sun comes up I'll post some pics. I've been so busy fixing it that I haven't stopped to admire it. Aside from the transmission and radiator it's an awesome car, and even though Pontiac shuttered it's doors on both the Vibe and the company in 2010, I don't think the Vibe/Matrix should be abandoned by a long shot. I've seen people online junk a perfectly good Vibe with extremely low miles over the five speed manual transmission failure, even with payments still being made on the car, and that's just absurd. We need to reach out to them and either help them fix theirs or take it off of their hands. If the money lined up, I'd consider another myself!
nerdydaddyo

Post by nerdydaddyo »

Here's a couple of pictures taken this morning:

Last edited by nerdydaddyo on Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
jayoldschool

Post by jayoldschool »

Thanks for the info. I'll keep my eyes open for a 6 speed to do at clutch time. Any difference in the top ratio? Mileage implications?
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

I've seen people online junk a perfectly good Vibe with extremely low miles over the five speed manual transmission failure, even with payments still being made on the car, and that's just absurd. We need to reach out to them and either help them fix theirs or take it off of their hands.
I think you give me an idea here. My son's '98 Protege is falling apart from rust. The left rocker panel actually fell off. The car runs fine and is not unsafe yet. So we have time to find a replacement. Why not a 5 speed Vibe in distress? He would love it and he would get a working A/C along with it. And I like a mechanical challenge.

By the way the pix don't show.
Go to Attachments
click Add files find a file small enough and open it
click Place inline
done
355.jpg
355.jpg (101.87 KiB) Viewed 12095 times
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

nerdydaddyo

Post by nerdydaddyo »

Sorry about the delay in pics. I opted for Photobucket to keep them at full resolution. It is a good mechanical project and not too bad to work on. Space in the engine compartment wasn't really an issue and everything is accessible.
trb

Post by trb »

Welcome and congrats on the new Vibe! You got a baptism by fire for sure with the 5 speed, but it sounds like you came out OK after all of it. The car looks really clean, too.

I had a similar situation on my 03 GT I bought last year. The PO had the clutch replaced about 9K miles before I bought it, so I was happy to not have to worry about that job. But then several months later, the disc grenaded on me so I had to replace it anyway! Luckily it was only about $280 or so in parts (exedy clutch and turned flywheel) and my own labor.

Best of luck with it!
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
nerdydaddyo

Post by nerdydaddyo »

That's a nice blue Vibe you have there! I wanted that two-tone scheme with the grey trim instead of the solid color like mine. Looks more like an Aztek with the grille and trim (I almost bought an Aztek years ago; maybe I'm living out that dream in the Vibe?). I've read in several places where the GT goes through the clutch quick unless you purchase a new high performance flywheel mated with the Exedy 16800 Stage 1 clutch kit or Exedy 16950 Stage 2 clutch kit and install that to keep from burning the clutch up too quick. Apparently in yet another glorious oversight the stock clutch installed at the factory for the GT Vibe was too weak and better suited for the base model. I think it had to do with the 180 HP the GT motor cranked out being too much muscle for the standard clutch. Having said that, since the base model Vibe motor is only 130 HP, the standard Exedy clutch kit shouldn't be an issue for those looking to do the five speed manual transmission to six speed manual transmission conversion. I say Exedy because the factory clutch I pulled out of my Vibe was Valeo and it was ugly. Very cheap looking. I sure as heck wouldn't put that brand back in, but that's just an opinion influenced by my breakdown most likely. I saw an article today talking about how the Vibe was a car that was under appreciated and overlooked; I agree. I haven't had mine that long, and even with such a bad history already, I love the car! There's just something about it...

http://www.edmunds.com/pontiac/vibe/
Last edited by nerdydaddyo on Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nerdydaddyo

Post by nerdydaddyo »

I just realized that I failed to mention in my original post that I put a brand new flywheel on as well. It was a NAPA brand flywheel, ran about 80 bucks with no core. All new, not remanufactured in case anyone is interested. I try to pass on places I find parts and deals I've gotten whenever I can.
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

I agree, there is just something about the Vibe.
I really look forward driving my car every morning. It is nimble, easy to take care of. After modifying the seat in 2 ways I find it ergonomically good enough as well. The small size has so many advantages: wipe the whole windshield from one side, open the doors all the way in parking lots, get done cleaning in short order. I would say you are probably lucky having the Vibe rather than an Aztec. By the way your vibe looks mighty fine!
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

trb

Post by trb »

nerdydaddyo wrote:That's a nice blue Vibe you have there! I wanted that two-tone scheme with the grey trim instead of the solid color like mine. Looks more like an Aztek with the grille and trim (I almost bought an Aztek years ago; maybe I'm living out that dream in the Vibe?). I've read in several places where the GT goes through the clutch quick unless you purchase a new high performance flywheel mated with the Exedy 16800 Stage 1 clutch kit or Exedy 16950 Stage 2 clutch kit and install that to keep from burning the clutch up too quick. Apparently in yet another glorious oversight the stock clutch installed at the factory for the GT Vibe was too weak and better suited for the base model. I think it had to do with the 180 HP the GT motor cranked out being too much muscle for the standard clutch. Having said that, since the base model Vibe motor is only 130 HP, the standard Exedy clutch kit shouldn't be an issue for those looking to do the five speed manual transmission to six speed manual transmission conversion. I say Exedy because the factory clutch I pulled out of my Vibe was Valeo and it was ugly. Very cheap looking. I sure as heck wouldn't put that brand back in, but that's just an opinion influenced by my breakdown most likely. I saw an article today talking about how the Vibe was a car that was under appreciated and overlooked; I agree. I haven't had mine that long, and even with such a bad history already, I love the car! There's just something about it...

http://www.edmunds.com/pontiac/vibe/
Thanks. And I was really looking for a solid color Salsa GT, but I could not pass up the blue one. Even with 207K miles when I bought it, it is in amazing shape, except for paint chips on the hood and peeling clear coat on the roof, which I painted black Rustoleum!

The clutch the PO's shop installed was a cheap Seco brand from Korea. I have the paperwork from the repair, and can't believe what he paid for it all, like 5 times what I did. I found a company on Amazon that sells turned flywheels cheap, like $45 shipped cheap, so that is what I got, plus the standard replacement clutch. The PO told me the original clutch went out after 40K and the one he just replaced lasted 158K before it started to slip. I hope I get some decent miles from this one.

The Vibe is certainly under appreciated, but we've found the light! I'm on my 3rd one, if you count driving my son's car for a year while he was in college.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2004 Satellite Vibe &
nerdydaddyo

Post by nerdydaddyo »

If your Vibe has reached 207,000 miles and is still going strong, then there is no doubt that I purchased the right vehicle! :lol:. You also taught me something new: I had no idea that the name of the color was Salsa Red. I even looked it up, and sure enough, the factory color name is...Salsa Red. That's actually a cool name for it, one I wouldn't have guessed in a million years. You have had three Vibes? It must be a great car to keep coming back like that. I'm already planning on scoring a GT down the line. I know I could get a Matrix XRS and be getting pretty much the same vehicle, but I prefer the Pontiac body styling over Toyota.

The more time I spend with the Vibe, the less I regret not purchasing an Aztek. I really just wanted it for the cargo area tent. I can always slap on one the Vibe! :D . Speaking of the cargo area, if anyone has the rear cargo mat (convenience mat) and wants to know how I was able to keep it from sliding, I can post the instructions and exactly what I used with pics. When I was done and showed it to friends and family, their response was "it looks like it was supposed to be that way already" so you will end up with a factory look.
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Cargo Mat:
Of course we would like to know how you solve the problem of a sliding cargo mat. If you go to the Board Index and scroll down tot he 4th section there is a "Interior" forum and in the 5 section there is a "Do it Yourself" forum.
Also, may I suggest: keep a log in the GeVibe Garage. It's a great way to keep following a guy's or gal's dealings with their Vibe. I got a bunch of ideas that way.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

nerdydaddyo

Post by nerdydaddyo »

The Cargo Mat How-To is posted!

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=44221

Hopefully this helps many people out as it drove me insane for a week straight. :lol:
nerdydaddyo

Post by nerdydaddyo »

Also working on a list of parts and how-to guides in the Garage. Thanks for the advice! It's good to have for my records too. :D

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=44222&p=504012#p504012
trb

Post by trb »

nerdydaddyo wrote:If your Vibe has reached 207,000 miles and is still going strong, then there is no doubt that I purchased the right vehicle! :lol:. You also taught me something new: I had no idea that the name of the color was Salsa Red. I even looked it up, and sure enough, the factory color name is...Salsa Red. That's actually a cool name for it, one I wouldn't have guessed in a million years. You have had three Vibes? It must be a great car to keep coming back like that. I'm already planning on scoring a GT down the line. I know I could get a Matrix XRS and be getting pretty much the same vehicle, but I prefer the Pontiac body styling over Toyota.
I'm actually at about 215K right now, and plan to put a good 30-40K on it before I end up giving it to my twin boys who are now 14. I told them I might get them twin Vibes, but one of them wants my Mustang instead. Yeah, right! :D

Pontiac did some creative naming on the colors. Blue is Neptune, bright red is Lava, etc, but the best name IMO is the green color Envy! :lol:

I drove my son's car his freshman year in college, which we bought for him in high school since it was perfect for him to haul around his band equipment in. I decided then that is was a great all around car, especially since I got almost double the gas mileage of my Mustang. After my daughter drove my son's car for the first 4 months her senior year and got tired of dropping me off/picking me up at the bus, I bought myself the 2010 GT, which was a great vehicle too. I planned to drive it for a long while, but only had it for 2-1/2 years until it was rear ended while my daughter was driving home one day. At that point we bought her a new Rogue for college and there was no question what I wanted as a replacement car for myself, since I could not get a new Mustang! Made sense to buy a Vibe for cash and found the 03 GT for $2,900. When I end up passing the 03 GT down in a couple of years, I hope I can find another red 09-10 GT with a manual trans this time, in great condition.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2004 Satellite Vibe &
nerdydaddyo

Post by nerdydaddyo »

I hope to keep this Vibe long enough to pass it down to my daughter who turns 10 this year. However, I think that kids today prefer everything automatic given the Internet generation. Not to mention the fact that I may have a hard time parting with my Vibe; maybe I'll get her the AWD model which doubles as both great for bad weather and has the automatic transmission. I kind of wish that they had a GT version with AWD and six speed manual transmission or even a base model with AWD and a five speed manual transmission that could still be converted to the six speed manual transmission. It's a shame that you have to choose one or the other on certain options, which leads me to my next question: what is the "Moon and Tunes" package and what all does it consist of? I've already thought about adding a moon roof to my Vibe, preferably one out of another Vibe, but as far as the sound system goes, I don't know what the next level up would be. I know there is a cargo net available and that is absolutely on the to-do list. Are there any more cool options I need to know about? I'm already making my girlfriend jealous with this car. She warned me not to treat it like the 1985 Honda Ch150 Deluxe scooter I restored a couple of years ago, but that was much smaller and not as addictive! :lol:
jolt

Post by jolt »

Past experience with manual transmissions in race cars and a old VW beetle has shown to me that synthetic gear lube is far superior to regular gear lube. Being a one time expense, the added cost is well worth it. Hot and cold weather extremes are were the synthetic's really work. They don't break down and they flow to where they are needed for lubrication. Cold winter sub-zero days and the old VW shifted like it was summer at start up. I would be putting synthetic lube in if I had a manual transmission in our Vibe but it's an automatic. It may save some of the 5 speeds out there.
nerdydaddyo

Post by nerdydaddyo »

Jolt, I can't agree with you more. I use Redline MT-90. I've done the research and though it's astronomically expensive it's the best there is. All synthetic, long life.
trb

Post by trb »

The "moon and tunes" is basically the moon roof and radio, with an amp and sub in the back on the later models. They actually changed it to "sun and sound" later on. The Vibes have 3 different radios that I know of; base, 6 disc CD changer and the navigation one. If you want to upgrade, I would just get an aftermarket unit. I got my son a nice double DIN unit for his car.

I don't think it would be feasible to try and install a stock moon roof since it is integral to the whole roof of the car. MAJOR body surgery. I know a guy that had a sunroof on his Mustang, and he spent like $1,200 to have a whole roof from a non sunroof car installed since his was rusting out. Plus the paint job!
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2004 Satellite Vibe &
nerdydaddyo

Post by nerdydaddyo »

I guess from that perspective the addition of the moon roof is definitely a bad idea then. For the tunes part, I saw some pics with what looked like tweeter speakers on the inside of the front doors opposite the side mirrors. That probably wouldn't be too difficult to add. The amp I could skip, because like you said, the aftermarket head units are way more powerful and a 20 dollar install kit and a 10 dollar wiring harness would make that a breeze. I'm already scouting a head unit because without an aux jack I can't listen to my songs. Too many songs for CDs. Those days are over! :D
nerdydaddyo

Post by nerdydaddyo »

You mentioned a nice double DIN unit. Do you have a link to it? Trying to see if the double DIN unit is a better deal. Thanks.
trb

Post by trb »

This is my son's unit:

I paid a bit more than I really wanted to, (under$400) but my son does use it a lot and it was his only Christmas present a year ago. I just did not like the look of many of the units with the knobs and buttons on the front, so the flat panel screen is a lot cleaner, plus it is removable to maybe prevent theft. It was really easy to install with the right adapters and then the trim piece for the radio surround. I ended up modifying the stock metal brackets to mount the radio instead of the cheap plastic mounts that came with the kit. We got the parking brake bypass, bluetooth mic, dvd player, remote usb mounted in the glove box, and eventually I will install the back up camera I got for it. We haven't upgraded the speakers or anything, but if he wants to, he will have to pay for it.

My GT has the door mounted tweeters and they should be a pretty easy addition if you want to add them to yours. My speakers are a bit blown, and I was looking at a set that had the mid range for the door and a separate tweeter for the top location. Someone on here had them I think.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2004 Satellite Vibe &
sideshowalan

Post by sideshowalan »

nerdydaddyo wrote:Jolt, I can't agree with you more. I use Redline MT-90. I've done the research and though it's astronomically expensive it's the best there is. All synthetic, long life.
I'll mention this any change I get.
My 2003 5-speed transmission made it to 180K miles in one piece before I sold it because of Redline mt-90.
2008 Pontiac Vibe
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
(Former 2003 5-speed Vibe owner)
nerdydaddyo

Post by nerdydaddyo »

Sideshowalan: That's the story I always hear about Redline MT-90. It's supposed to be top of the line and can work miracles which you have proven in the five speed manual transmission. It's expensive as heck, but it's a one-time deal.

Trb: what brand is that radio? I was looking into the ones offered by Pioneer, Alpine, and Kenwood. I'm more of a Kenwood fan so I'm leaning towards the Kenwood DPX501BT if I forego navigation. Still undecided. Just depends on the cost. As far as the factory tweeters, if I can locate them, I'm definitely going to add them to improve the juke box on wheels experience. That makes commutes and road trips more bearable.

I do have more tricks up my sleeve for this car, but I need to try out a few more things before I post pics.
trb

Post by trb »

It is a JVC, one of their KW-AV series, but I don't know the exact model. Regular price was like $395 and I got it for about $340 as a demo model, plus the adapters and dash kit.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2004 Satellite Vibe &
sideshowalan

Post by sideshowalan »

nerdydaddyo wrote:The shifter knob will eventually need to be replaced (for appearance only), and again, thanks to this site I have that OEM part number and know how to eventually get it.
I have an OEM 6 speed GT shift knob.
See pictures in this thread where I tried to sell it last year.
$40 shipped.
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=42908
2008 Pontiac Vibe
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
nerdydaddyo

Post by nerdydaddyo »

sideshowalan wrote:
nerdydaddyo wrote:The shifter knob will eventually need to be replaced (for appearance only), and again, thanks to this site I have that OEM part number and know how to eventually get it.
I have an OEM 6 speed GT shift knob.
See pictures in this thread where I tried to sell it last year.
$40 shipped.
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=42908
Set it aside and this Friday (possibly sooner) I will buy that shifter knob from you. Thanks, sideshowalan!

Trb, I looked into Nav double DIN units, and they just cost too much right now. I'm also a Kenwood fan, have used Kenwood in almost all of my vehicles (have tried Alpine and Pioneer but prefer Kenwood), so I may start off with the more affordable non-Nav double DIN Kenwood unit eventually and work my way up to the Nav unit.
trb

Post by trb »

Yes, the nav units are crazy priced still. Most were like $200-300 more than I paid. Luckily my son uses his phone if he needs directions. No way I'd ever pay for a factory nav system!
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2004 Satellite Vibe &
nerdydaddyo

Post by nerdydaddyo »

Since I am partial to Kenwood head units (though I am disappointed that they are now merged with JVC), I have found some great 2 DIN decks with some bells and whistles (Bluetooth, etc.) that I will initially purchase. Looking at any DVD/GPS Navigation head unit (not just Kenwood), the price tag starts out around 500 dollars and goes up from there. I won't be buying one of those just yet, but once I get the less expensive head unit minus the DVD/GPS Navigation I will post my experience just in case anyone else is in the market for a new deck to spruce up their sound system. Thanks to sideshowalan my factory 6 speed shifter knob is on the way, so after the head unit my next step will be a short shifter. I am really enjoying my Vibe so far and the memory of the catastrophic failure on the 5 speed transmission is fading fast.
sideshowalan

Post by sideshowalan »

nerdydaddyo wrote:Thanks to sideshowalan my factory 6 speed shifter knob is on the way, so after the head unit my next step will be a short shifter.
Hope you enjoy it.

I can't speak to other units but I tried the TWM short shifter for a few weeks in my old 5-speed and did not enjoy it. The shifts were much shorter but the effort was increased greatly and the already vague shift feel felt even worse. After I went back to stock it felt like a mazda (dreamlike) shifter by comparison.

If you're looking for a shifter upgrade, grab some brass shifter bushings. The stock ones are rubber and 'give' when you pull on them, the brass replacements give a much more positive feel. You can find them on ebay by searching for either vibe or matrix shifter bushings.
2008 Pontiac Vibe
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
nerdydaddyo

Post by nerdydaddyo »

Thanks, sideshowalan. I'll definitely look into replacing the rubber bushings first with the brass ones since it's not only a less expensive option but also much easier and quicker. I only wanted the short shifter because the reverse gear comes too close to the console (6 speed reverse is hard left and up for those not familiar with it while the 5 speed reverse is hard right and down). That causes me to hit the 12 V outlet with my knuckles a lot and sometimes I accidentally knock out the cables I have plugged into it. If the short shifter can eliminate that by increasing space, then I'm sold. If it makes no difference, then it's definitely something I'll have to reconsider.
nerdydaddyo

Post by nerdydaddyo »

It arrived!

tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

A bit late here BUT Welcome to GenVibe Nerdman! ;) That's quite a story you have there and glad you shared it with us. Out of all the correspondence you never mentioned where you're located. Update profile for us, we just could be one of your neighbors and not even know it. Beautiful color (I'm partial to reds) and now that you've invested all this work into it make sure you keep it for many years to come!
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
nerdydaddyo

Post by nerdydaddyo »

I apologize for that! I could have sworn I filled out my location at least! I've updated my profile with more information, but let me know if I left anything out. Thanks, tpollauf! And thanks for the welcome too. Of all of the sites I've been a part of for ANYTHING (not just vehicles), this one has been the most helpful and fun to be a part of. Let's put it this way: without GenVibe, I wouldn't have a Vibe to drive anymore and would be out several thousand dollars and a lot of great recent memories that came along with continued ownership of my Vibe.
nerdydaddyo

Post by nerdydaddyo »

So I'm on to my next project which is replacing the AC Compressor Clutch. I have the factory AC Delco kit, but I've already run into an issue. I cannot keep the outer plate from spinning while trying to undo the T30 bolt. Any advice on how to do so? AC Clutch Compressors I have done in the past had somewhere to wedge the screwdriver to keep the plate from spinning, but this one doesn't seem to.
nerdydaddyo

Post by nerdydaddyo »

I'm gonna offer the answer I came up with to my own question. The answer is: you need a special spanner wrench to hold the clutch plate still. I purchased the Autocraft A/C Compressor Clutch Spanner Wrench part number AC3270. It seems to be the only surefire way to remove the screw without causing any damage. OEM makes a similar tool as does OTC, but those ran about 50 bucks; I was able to get the Autocraft one for 20 on eBay. As for the snap rings, my drug of choice has been the Craftsman Professional Retaining Pliers Internal/External part number 47412. You can pick them up at Sears or Kmart for a little over 20 bucks as well. Since things are heating up outside, if you have any plans to service your A/C system, you may want to grab these tools while you can (I noticed a lot of stores were out of those specific tools with restock dates in June).
nerdydaddyo

Post by nerdydaddyo »

If someone in here owns a 6 speed GT, can you please take a photo of the back of the motor on the right side (passenger) CV axle? I think that bracket will not attach to the non-GT engine, and if that is the case, then the right side CV axle from the 5 speed is the only option. It will have 1/4 inch of play, but the setup is nothing like the right side CV axle for the 6 speed. The right side 6 speed CV axle has a bearing that mounts to a bracket, and without the bracket, the axle cannot be used and instead the right side 5 speed axle MUST be used. I'll be able to tell once I see the photo.
trb

Post by trb »

Yes, there is a bracket bolted to the block to mount the bearing to it.

Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2004 Satellite Vibe &
nerdydaddyo

Post by nerdydaddyo »

I examined the 1ZZ-FE and there are no bolt holes to add that bracket. So for the 5 speed manual transmission to 6 speed manual transmission conversion my advice is to get the left side CV axle for the 6 speed manual transmission but reuse the right side CV axle. I posted the information in the garage, but basically the 5 speed manual transmission left side CV axle is too long by millimeters, and the 5 speed manual transmission right side CV axle is too short by 1/2". Given the options, it is better to have one correct axle. That's my game plan anyhow. The alternative is to go through so much money trying to get a 2ZZ-GE engine and honestly it's not worth the trouble. I know mechanically it's not ideal to have 1/2" of play on a CV axle (right side), but that's better than having an axle that is too long (left side) adding strain to the transmission. I know some people on here have done the conversion without switching axles at all and I have not seen any bad results by doing so. This is merely a suggestion to get the most life out of the Vibe.
2010VibeIN

Post by 2010VibeIN »

I had an 03 that was an automatic but totaled it in 2011. Best car I owned until I got my 2010 Vibe. I am considering on buying a Gen 1 Vibe since I liked it so much. Before I bought my 2010,I was looking at I think an 05 or 07 that was AWD and had 78,000 miles on it. I found out repairs would be way to expensive if the AWD messed up so I went with the 2010 even though it had a lot more miles.(131,000)
I've had to do some work to the 2010 but it has been good to me so far and I have been keeping up on oil changes.I put a lot of miles on my car for work so I change the oil every 4,000 miles since I put that on there within 2 months time.
Sorry you had a problem with the transmission.
nerdydaddyo

Post by nerdydaddyo »

Thanks, 2010. I am not upset that the 5 speed manual transmission failed on me for several reasons: One, it led me to this site; Two, it was apparently a very common occurrence; Three, I now have a 6 speed manual transmission which is much more fun to shift; and Four, it has woken up the mechanic in me (I am one year shy of ASE certification since 1995) and I have actually had a blast fixing it -- even moreso driving it! I don't think this is a car that deserves to fall into obscurity. I just finished installing the AC Compressor Clutch Kit yesterday, and I still didn't have air. Jumping the contacts in the relay as described in another thread showed that the clutch was engaging, so my next step was to check the system charge. Using this http://idqusa.com/product/gbm-3cs_r-134 ... seandgauge , I was able to check to see that the system was low. One 12 oz can of Carquest branded straight R134a (I don't use stop-leak stuff because it causes more problems) and I was back to cold air in 10 minutes. I've worked on a lot of cars over the past 20 plus years, but the Vibe has been the one vehicle where the payoff and satisfaction has almost been instant. I'm already thinking about owning another eventually because of the knowledge I've gained from working on this one and how dependable it really is. Transmission failed, yes, but everything else has not. :D
nerdydaddyo

Post by nerdydaddyo »

Today I have some photos that I forgot to upload which will help support the reasoning behind my decision to swap out the base model 5 speed manual transmission driver's side (half shaft) CV axle for the 6 speed version:

Comparison between the 5 speed and 6 speed manual transmission driver's side (half shaft) CV axle (5 speed version is on bottom):

Note that the construction and materials used in the 6 speed CV axle is visibly better than the 5 speed version.

5 speed CV axle inserted into the base model Vibe steering knuckle:

6 speed CV axle inserted into the exact same steering knuckle (the steering knuckles are identical for both base model Vibe and GT):

The hub side of the steering knuckle with the 5 speed CV axle:

And the 6 speed CV axle in the same situation:

The 6 speed axle is slightly longer than the 5 speed axle on the hub side, but it will not affect anything at all. The important part is the distance between the opposite side of the steering knuckle and the transmission.

Also, because there are not any reliable instructions on how to do this properly anywhere online, I am including a picture of the driver's side transmission output shaft seal installed correctly to show proper depth and fitment. If done correctly and with the correct part (see my garage thread), this seal will not leak.

tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Awesome write up and EXCELLENT photos. Too bad I don't own an older 1st gen BUT this will certainly help others out there who do! Keep up the good work ;)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
nerdydaddyo

Post by nerdydaddyo »

As promised, and long overdue, I have pictures and instructions posted for my other easy mod, the Moto-Gate: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=44670&p=507767#p507767
randomguyother

Post by randomguyother »

2006 Vibe that just grenaded the c59 transmission. Bearing at shaft disintegrated and caused all sorts of gear chipping/debris. Just tore it down and replaced all bad parts and installed a rebuild kit. Works fine now. Essential info below.
I worked through toyota for all of my parts and dealer info.

- my main sources:
- general transmission removal: https://www.toyotanation.com/threads/di ... cs.959473/
- general c59 disassembly: http://www.tcorolla.net/overhaul-1203.html
- c59 differential ring removal and install: http://www.tcorolla.net/overhaul-1212.html
- output and input shaft gear pulling and pressing: various youtube videos.
- main culprit: The bearing that looked worst had the following identification on the inner race ("HTF...B25-163Ag") and outer race ("NSK...JAPAN...630Z"). Note that the replacement bearing that came in the rebuild kit was identical. I opted to use a different bearing (totally sealed on both sides, unlike the original) from toyota. I just let the parts department identify the superseding part.
- "Rebuild Kit": Note that there are two very similar kits out on the market. Go to "www.transmissionpartsdistributors.com" and see the difference between their "BK418BWS" and "AWS" kit. A difference of 0.020". Easy to mix up and not everyone offers both kits to choose from. The "BWS" worked for my vibe.
- Advice: Go to friendly dealer. Give them car info. Have them print out all schematics of: internal shafts and gears, differential and bearings, overall trans case. During tear down, identify all parts to replace. Have them identify all toyota part numbers (the numbers in the schematics are the short 6 digit codes that aren't specific enough). Use the real toyota part numbers to buy for 60% the cost using an online toyota parts dealer.
- Advice: Be organized during tear down. Take photos. Ensure all parts are removed and laid down so you know the orientation/order. label all parts against the step number for reference.
- Minimal tools: Press. Various pipes (measure the exact sizes you need to press bearings and gears and order from mcmaster carr. Cut to 6" or 12" lengths.). Inside diameter blind pullers (expand to allow hammer pulling from one side). Outside diameter bearing pullers (various sizes). Bench grinder (you'll need to grind your pullers to fix exactly and be prepared to get replacement pullers). Impact gun to make pullers work better. Clamps to hold pullers in place while using impact gun. Small plate with and without holes to protect pointed tips of pullers when pulling on shaft without a hole.
- Advice: On the differential, I just approximated bearing preload by spinning the differential teeth with a long screwdriver. Did not use a tool in the middle hole.
- Advice: Note that not all bearings are pressed and bottomed out. Read the instructions from toyota above at each step.
- Advice: When the two case halves are sealed and bolted together - you will probably fail to get the two shafts to stick out far enough for the snap rings to be installed. Don't panic. Tap (with wood block) on the input shaft in the bellhousing from below while pulling up on both shafts to get them moved up a little. You don't need to tear it all apart and repress bearings.
- It won't be clear exactly what parts the rebuild kit comes with compared to your toyota part numbers. Plan on sucking up a restocking fee from someone. If you're getting close to a 30-day return window - contact the distributor and get an allowance of time in writing.
- Advice: If you're hammering when you should be pressing during reassembly, you're doing something wrong. Make sure it all gets seated correctly and straight.

My rebuild cost ~$1,300 on trans internals (new shaft, diff ring gear, some gears, and rebuild kit). ~$350 on new clutch and rear main seal.

have fun. don't rush. if something seems too tough - walk away and think on it.
nerdydaddyo

Post by nerdydaddyo »

Highly recommend the 6 speed trans over rebuilding the 5. Still going strong almost 5 years later.