DRL PROBLEMS/ TAIL LIGHT

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
randyr316

DRL PROBLEMS/ TAIL LIGHT

Post by randyr316 »

I HAVE 03 PONTIAC VIBE, I START CAR AND THE HEADLIGHTS POP ON BUT TAIL LIGHTS AND CONTROL PANEL FOR HEATER DOESNT, EVEN THE DRL ICON DOESNT POP UP ON DASH? BUT IF I REMOTE START CAR EVERYTHING WORKS FINE? AND IF I MANUALLY TUN HEADLIGHT SWITCH FROM OFF TO MIDDLE ON POSITION, EVERYTHING WORKS, BUT WHEN I TURN CAR OFF, MY Tail lights and front parking lights are stuck on, i then have to remove relay behind glove box to turn off lights??? REMOTE START IS UNHOOKED.... WTH IS GOING ON WITH VIBE :x :x
Last edited by randyr316 on Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark

Re: DRL PROBLEMS/ TAIL LIGHT

Post by Mark »

I have an 04, and there is no DRL indicator on the dash, and the dash and tail lights do not light up in daylight either. When it gets dark, or if I cover the light sensor, the headlight indicator comes on, the dash lights dim and the tail lights are on. The only thing that's on during normal daytime operation is the headlights.

Based on what you are seeing, I'd say that your remote start is wired incorrectly, and when you start the car with the remote it turns the lights on, the same as if you turned the light switch to the on position. Because it's not also a remote stop, it doesn't have a way to shut them back off.
'08 Base Stealth, '05 Base Satellite
randyr316

Post by randyr316 »

Mark wrote:I have an 04, and there is no DRL indicator on the dash, and the dash and tail lights do not light up in daylight either. When it gets dark, or if I cover the light sensor, the headlight indicator comes on, the dash lights dim and the tail lights are on. The only thing that's on during normal daytime operation is the headlights.

Based on what you are seeing, I'd say that your remote start is wired incorrectly, and when you start the car with the remote it turns the lights on, the same as if you turned the light switch to the on position. Because it's not also a remote stop, it doesn't have a way to shut them back off.
EVERYTHING IS WIRED RIGHT, AND THERE IS AN DRL INDICATOR IN GUAGE AREA, THAT ALWAYS CAME ON, AND SO DID MY TAIL LIGHTS, NOW INDICATOR DONT COME ON OR TAIL LIGHTS, AND IF U READ MY POST AGAIN, IT SAYS I HAVE REMOTE START UNHOOKED WHERE IS THIS LIGHT SENSOR?
Mark

Post by Mark »

No, it's not right. And turn off your CAPS LOCK. There is no "DRL INDICATOR", there is a headlight indicator. It comes on when the headlights are on, along with the taillights.

The light sensor is on the driver's side on top of the dash, it's a round "button" about the size of a quarter.

Get in the car and start it during daytime. Get out and look, only the headlights are on. Cover the light sensor with a glove or something and wait a few seconds. The lights will click on, the dash lights will dim, the headlight indicator will come on, and the tail lights will come on. Uncover the sensor and wait a few seconds. The lights will click off, the dash will return to full daytime brightness, and the taillights will go out. The headlights will stay on, because DRL.

This is NORMAL operation in my 2000 Corolla, my 2004 Vibe, my 2008 Vibe, my 2010 Dodge truck and my 2012 Honda CR-V. It's probably normal in your 2003 Vibe as well. What you appear to consider NORMAL is in fact abnormal, and likely due to the improper installation of your remote start. Did you install it yourself? Is that why you're so certain that it's faulty operation is correct?
randyr316

Post by randyr316 »

Mark wrote:No, it's not right. And turn off your CAPS LOCK. There is no "DRL INDICATOR", there is a headlight indicator. It comes on when the headlights are on, along with the taillights.

The light sensor is on the driver's side on top of the dash, it's a round "button" about the size of a quarter.

Get in the car and start it during daytime. Get out and look, only the headlights are on. Cover the light sensor with a glove or something and wait a few seconds. The lights will click on, the dash lights will dim, the headlight indicator will come on, and the tail lights will come on. Uncover the sensor and wait a few seconds. The lights will click off, the dash will return to full daytime brightness, and the taillights will go out. The headlights will stay on, because DRL.

This is NORMAL operation in my 2000 Corolla, my 2004 Vibe, my 2008 Vibe, my 2010 Dodge truck and my 2012 Honda CR-V. It's probably normal in your 2003 Vibe as well. What you appear to consider NORMAL is in fact abnormal, and likely due to the improper installation of your remote start. Did you install it yourself? Is that why you're so certain that it's faulty operation is correct?
YES IT IS RIGHT. ARE YOU IN MY CAR TO SEE ITS NOT RIGHT? AND REMOTE START IS NOT HOOKED UP ONCE AGAIN NOT HOOKED UP AND MY LIGHTS KICKED ON EVERYTIME I TURNED MY CAR ON DAY OR NIGHT, i could hear it click, now it doesnt without turning light switch so anybody with any knowledge why this is doing this let me know
bluneon

Post by bluneon »

first things first; was the car acting like this BEFORE the remote start install?

process of elimination would determine......

regardless, since removal of the remote start; have you checked the fuses?
beemerphile1

Post by beemerphile1 »

First, on internet forums, all capital letters is considered screaming and is difficult to read.

Secondly, attacking with smart azz responses to those attempting to help will scare away people from helping, thus I have no motivation to help.
NE Ohio - home to the most successful Pontiac drag racing team in history - Bill Knafel's "Tin Indian" and also home to Summit Auto Racing.
2009 Vibe base 1.8L auto towing 2009 Aliner Sport hardsided pop-up
randyr316

Post by randyr316 »

beemerphile1 wrote:First, on internet forums, all capital letters is considered screaming and is difficult to read.

Secondly, attacking with smart azz responses to those attempting to help will scare away people from helping, thus I have no motivation to help.
more like u have no clue, but THANX FOR UR INPUT
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

eh...let him figure it out himself...
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

randyr316 wrote: more like u have no clue
No, actually, whether you acknowledge it or not, beemerphile1 is correct. You came on here asking for help, people ask questions, and you reply back with attitude. Most people will react to that by leaving you to solve your problems alone. A lot of car forums are full of hostile insecure people, but this is not one of those car forums. If you are one of those people, then you should probably look for another forum. If you want the people here to try to help you, exercise some courtesy and understanding.

You must understand that we see a person who has an uncommon electrical problem in a car that has aftermarket electrical modifications. It is difficult for us to help you unless we have more information. So, if you have the patience, I have a few questions that your answers may help the people here help you.

1. Did the lights ever behave correctly?

2. If they did, what changed between when they worked right and when they started to not work right?

3. Your car has a remote start, which was not a factory option. Who installed the remote start? Do you have any wiring diagrams showing how it is supposed to be hooked up, or how it is actually hooked up?

4. Did the lights start to not work right when the remote start was installed?

5. You said that the problem still exists when the remote start is unhooked. Do you mean that the power to the remote start controller is disconnected, or that the remote start is completely disconnected and all wiring is returned to factory configuration?

The Tail relay above the glove box is (supposed to be ) activated by the DRL module. Power to the TAIL relay comes from the unswitched TAIL fuse. If the relay was stuck, the tail lights would be on all the time, but since you say they only come on once the car is started, then the relay is probably not stuck closed. Initially, I'd say that either the DRL module is bad, or that it is getting the wrong signals, perhaps from a wiring error. Sorry to say, but my first inclination is to suspect something incorrect in the remote start install or deinstall. Could be something else, but really, we don't have much info to go on yet.

---------------------------

Mark, the 03-08s are definitely all the same, they have a headlights on indicator. The 09s and 10's are very likely the same. I think of it more of a Tail Light indicator, and refer to it when it's raining or foggy, or other times when I want to be sure to be visible to other drivers, and if I think I should have more lights, then I turn them on manually with the stalk.
Mark

Post by Mark »

joatmon wrote:Mark, the 03-08s are definitely all the same, they have a headlights on indicator. The 09s and 10's are very likely the same. I think of it more of a Tail Light indicator, and refer to it when it's raining or foggy, or other times when I want to be sure to be visible to other drivers, and if I think I should have more lights, then I turn them on manually with the stalk.
Yes, tail light indicator or just "lights on" indicator would be more accurate. I do the same thing when it's rainy/foggy, but I through an old black glove that I keep in the car over the light sensor. Then I can't accidentally leave the lights on.
circuitsmith

Post by circuitsmith »

Another possibility is the remote start module WAS installed correctly, but now it's malfunctioning.
Many of these aftermarket gadgets are not built well enough to survive long term in the harsh environment of a vehicle.
2006 Matrix 5-sp
Mark

Post by Mark »

circuitsmith wrote:Another possibility is the remote start module WAS installed correctly, but now it's malfunctioning.
Many of these aftermarket gadgets are not built well enough to survive long term in the harsh environment of a vehicle.
True, but then there's this thread: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=43902&p=501285&view=show#p501285" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It can't possibly be the remote starter or the installation (I tried to type that all in CAPS, but I just couldn't bring myself to hit Submit), it has to be the crap junk money pit car. Maybe it found that tree he was looking for.