Which oil do you use?

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
P POPPR

Which oil do you use?

Post by P POPPR »

Just curious.
2004 Abyss MonotoneMoon & Tunes17" Aluminum Wheels/TiresAnti-Lock BrakesPower GroupAutomatic15% Tint, Rear WindowsHidden Hitch
d_m_kolb

Re: Which oil do you use? (P POPPR)

Post by d_m_kolb »

This is for all you Mobil 1 users. When they say "Nothing out performs Mobil 1" they are dead wrong.http://www.performancemotoroil.com/Mobil_1_test
michaelgt

Re: Which oil do you use? (Admin II)

Post by michaelgt »

Thanks for linking the test. I will plan not to go to work if it gets below a -54 degrees this winter!
dmitri

Re: Which oil do you use? (michaelgt)

Post by dmitri »

I use Cam2. I like their stuff.
Psychobroker

Re: Which oil do you use? (dmitri)

Post by Psychobroker »

Amsoil for my Vibe. Thanks again Derek . I ordered a case of 5W-30 and 4 filters so I won't have to worry about it for a LONG time Amsoil in as of the 9,252nd mile
Stang2Vibe

Re: Which oil do you use? (Psychobroker)

Post by Stang2Vibe »

I changed the oil and used my tried and true regular Pennziol. I will be changing to Amsoil as soon as I can. I'm going to have to get in touch with Derek about this.
Former owner of a 2003 Vibe GT---Great car that gave me 8 years and 83,000 miles of trouble-free service.Current owner of a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited AWD.
Vibe Rater

Post by Vibe Rater »

Mike's Peanut Oil?
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

you mean oil for my car right?? Hey, what were you thinking?? I use Mobil 1 every 6,000 miles or so.
futseal04

Re: Which oil do you use? (Admin II)

Post by futseal04 »

I see those Amsoil results, but i have a couple of comments.....First, it was on the AMsoil website, not an independant test, so the results might be dubious.Secondly, look at the margin that Mobil-1 trails Amsoil. Votlatility- 4.27%Wear- .2Flash/Fire Temps- AVG of 7.5 degrees C 12.5FPour Point- 3C, 6FTBN- 3.9My personal opinion is since i dont' do a lot of High RPM driving or racing, that Mobil-1 is a good oil for daily driving. Here is an independant test. It shows that they don't vary by that much, and the tests where Amsoil outperformed Mobil-1 by greater than 20% is only readily apparent during "Extended drain intervals."So if you are like me and change your oild every 5000 regardless, then the cost-benefit ratio evaporates. http://businessrpm.trishield.c...shtmlJust providing another point of view.....
'04 Vibe Base'97 Buick Riviera S/C'01 Suzuki SV650S
redlava

Re: Which oil do you use? (futseal04)

Post by redlava »

I let Car-X change mine. A lot easier than me trying to jack my car up and crawl around on the ground. I am pretty sure they use Exxon Superflo. They used to use Valvoline, but probably switched cause they got a better deal.
ToolGuy

Re: Which oil do you use? (silverawd26)

Post by ToolGuy »

Valvoline for the Vibe and MiataMobile 1 for my VetteMurrays Auto Store .99 oil for the PT which is a lease
zionzr2

Post by zionzr2 »

Just had my second oil-change and first tire rotation and went with MOBIL-1 0W-30 was running MOBIL-1 5W-30.
jake75

Post by jake75 »

Quote, originally posted by silverawd26 »Dealer here by me has a program going on now. When you go in for an oil change, the give you a coupon and stamp it that goes onto your keyring. Every oil change you get so much off. After 4 oil changes, you get 1 free one. I think that is great. And the first one is like $25.00, then $23.00, and the 3rd is $20.00 I think. Pretty cool set up. My dealer has an oil change club - $119.95 for 10 oil changes.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
jake75

Re: Which oil do you use? (d_m_kolb)

Post by jake75 »

Quote, originally posted by d_m_kolb »This is for all you Mobil 1 users. When they say "Nothing out performs Mobil 1" they are dead wrong.http://www.performancemotoroil.com/Mobil_1_testAmsoil is not an oil - it's a religion!
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
Turbo5Speed

Re: Which oil do you use? (jake75)

Post by Turbo5Speed »

Same goes for the latest choice. I mean, just look at what the guys on Fight Club did with it.
nismo

Re: Which oil do you use? (Turbo5Speed)

Post by nismo »

Yeah, right now I'm running Royal Purple, gonna bounce to Amsoil next Inder
2008 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbo - Fun stuff under there somewhere 1998 Nissan Sentra - Sold2004 Pontiac Vibe - 107k and SoldCosmo CAI
jake75

Post by jake75 »

Quote, originally posted by silverawd26 »Dealer here by me has a program going on now. When you go in for an oil change, the give you a coupon and stamp it that goes onto your keyring. Every oil change you get so much off. After 4 oil changes, you get 1 free one. I think that is great. And the first one is like $25.00, then $23.00, and the 3rd is $20.00 I think. Pretty cool set up. Dave Gill Pontiac in Columbus has an oil change club - get a card good for 10 oil changes for $119.99 plus sales tax. Also avoid the stupid "shop materials fee" of x% that way. They say that fee is to cover towels, soap and misc. small parts such as "screws". You know who is getting the "screw" on that deal. Like I should add 3% to my fees to cover pens and pencils!
ragingfish

Re: Which oil do you use? (jake75)

Post by ragingfish »

Wow, $12 for an oil change is good!!!
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
3.6L V6 (256 HP @ 6300 rpm, 248 ft-lbs. @ 2100 rpm)
clwcrw

Re: Which oil do you use? (ragingfish)

Post by clwcrw »

Bought the car 2 days ago (2003 Vibe GT). Oil was pretty dark on the dipstick. That didn't really matter. I always change the oil/filter when I get a used (new to me) car.Went with Mobil 1, 5W-30 pure synthetic. Also, couldn't get an AC Delco filter at Autozone, so I tried the STP brand, S4967. Looks really close to the AC Delco filters I have been using for years.I am open to trying Amsoil. What would it cost for oil and filter at my next oil change (in 5000 miles)?ChrisLansing, MI
Currently:'03 Vibe GT'94 9C1 Caprice, stock'01 Suzuki GSXR 600, full system hindle pipe w/Ti can, PC III, K&NNo longer with me:'02 Cavalier LS Sport, 5 speed, ecotec, '97 Grand Prix GTP'94 Camaro Z-28, 6 speed, '98 Suzuki TL1000R
simon

Post by simon »

I run whichever 5W-30 semi-synthetic oil is the best price. I've got over 98,000kms on my base Vibe so far in two years of driving. I change the oil every 12,500 kms and it always looks a little dirty but not black.
nismo

Re: (simon)

Post by nismo »

Next week or so I have to change my oil, So I will be running Amsoil Inder
2008 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbo - Fun stuff under there somewhere 1998 Nissan Sentra - Sold2004 Pontiac Vibe - 107k and SoldCosmo CAI
vibebob

Post by vibebob »

I traded in a 02 VW Golf with a diesel engine. on the diesel forums there are two oil's of choise, Mobil one Delvac or Amsoil fully synthetic.
no longer a vibe owner"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding." Albert Einstein.
Cue-Ball

Post by Cue-Ball »

Amsoil all the way, in all 3 of my cars. I am a dealer also so if anyone needs anything let me know.Dirk
Man of Steel

Post by Man of Steel »

I use whatever 5W-30 dino is on sale and change every 3 to 4,000 miles. Valvoline, Penzoil, Havoline, Shell, Exxon, Citgo, Proline to name a few.
05 AWD.
Cue-Ball

Post by Cue-Ball »

I have to tell you that changing your oil every 3-4k miles really is over kill. Even with conventional Dino oil you can go about 6k.I run amsoil and just had a sample tested that I ran in my Jeep for 25,xxx miles on the same filter even and the analysis came back as time to change but only as CAUTION not as STOP DON't DRIVE CHANGE NOW.This was an EXTREME case Amsoil recommends changing the filter after 12-15k miles and topping off with a new qt. at that time.If anyone would like to see the report on my 25,xxx mile oil let me know I would be glad to email it to you.All I am saying is even under extreme conditions it worked. If you chnanged the filter as recommended you would be set. The oil itself is recommended for 25K miles.Why is it that EVERYONE is not running full synthetics?? I just don't get it. The price really is not that bad, it is cheaper over a year than changing every 3k in dino oil.Well if you would like the oil report email me at amsoildirk@yahoo.com.Dirk
binary

Post by binary »

If you're changing the filter as recommended - you're replacing about 1/4 of the oil anyway aren't you? Why does it seem like Amzoil is the Amway of autmotive fluids? Interesting marketing methods... IMHOAlso, trying to make a point and a sale in the same thread helps neither.
Man of Steel

Re: (binary)

Post by Man of Steel »

I almost always get my oil on sale for as little as 79 cents a quart and usually a Puralator filter for $2.50. You may be right about my 3-4 K OCI being overkill but one thing is certain, it's inexpensive, won't hurt my engine, and it's a good excue to hang out in the garage and smoke a cigar. Besides I know a few people who've taken their engines close to 200K miles and all of them tell me they change their oil every 3-5K.
05 AWD.
Cue-Ball

Post by Cue-Ball »

First off Amsoil is NOT the Amway of automotive fluids, at least that is NOT how I approach it.All I can tell you is my own experience, nothing more nothing less.Steel you are absolutely correct changing the oil more often does not hurt your engine and if you get a good deal on oil and filters then by all means change it often (this is by far the BEST thing for the engine).All I am saying is there are other alternatives to changing every 3,000 miles is all. I am not here to try and sell the oil to everyone here, not at all. I just throw that out there and if someone is interested then I can help, if your not interested then NO problem I will still be here to help with any knowledge or opinions on vehicles I can provide.
johnsoax

Re: (Cue-Ball)

Post by johnsoax »

Quote, originally posted by Cue-Ball »Why is it that EVERYONE is not running full synthetics?? I just don't get it. The price really is not that bad, it is cheaper over a year than changing every 3k in dino oil.Last time I checked, it would cost me more to run amsoil in my car over changing the oil every 5000 with dino oil. More. Not cheaper.An oil change costs me roughly $15.00 every 5000 miles. I drive roughly 20-30k a year. 25k for easy math. So $75 bucks a year in oil changes.Amsoil is $11/qt (at least is was when I priced it). So if I do the extended drain, I will need the initial 5 qts, plus 1 at filter change so 6 qts 11x6 = $66 Filters were $10 a pop for Amsoil so add another $20. $86 vs $75 ? Yes there is less work involved, but as I do my own changes, not a big deal. I personally think that the benifit of new oil 5 times more often is better than the loss of labor.
Stereo Mod - Cargo carpet - Phone on ash tray. - Hidden HitchProjects: Fix CELMileage - 50050 - 31.41 MPG Ave
jasonvibe

Post by jasonvibe »

Point of fact. These are aluminum block engines. Very much like a motorcycle. The most important thing is an anti-oxidier package in the oil. BECAUSE when aluminum oxidizes it gives off particles that are rated #2 in natural hardness...diamonds are #1. The filters can only hold so much crap. Mobil 1 and Amsoil have excellent antiox packages. A cycle magazine(Motorcycle Consumer News) have done some serious tests with all types/brands of oils, confirming this. But changing the oil every 5k is as far as anyone should go, no matter what the oil manufacturer says. There is just too much crap in it by 5k...no matter what filter you use.
2005 AWD PlatinumAlloys, Moon & TunesPower group...just enough to be fun
21Rouge

Post by 21Rouge »

I currently am 1 k miles into a run of M1 0W-30.
AJ_'04 Vibe

Post by AJ_'04 Vibe »

Is Amsoil API (American Petroleum Institute) certified? I forget.
'04 VibeSalsa4 spd AutoNo mods yet, but just wait!!
RePo

Re: (Cue-Ball)

Post by RePo »

Why would anyone pay the extra $ for synthetics? The claimed benefit of sythetic is that it has a very long service life. That's terrific, but what is the purpose of changing your oil AND FILTER? Is it because the oil breaks down, or it is to remove the carbon contaminents from your lubrication system? Even at 5,000 miles non-synthetic oil is still good, but it is replace because of the contaminents. I would NEVER buy an engine that has been neglected with 10,000 plus miles between changes, regardless of what type of oil was used. Quote, originally posted by Cue-Ball »I have to tell you that changing your oil every 3-4k miles really is over kill. Even with conventional Dino oil you can go about 6k.I run amsoil and just had a sample tested that I ran in my Jeep for 25,xxx miles on the same filter even and the analysis came back as time to change but only as CAUTION not as STOP DON't DRIVE CHANGE NOW.Why is it that EVERYONE is not running full synthetics?? I just don't get it. The price really is not that bad, it is cheaper over a year than changing every 3k in dino oil.Dirk
I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code
dkim1

Post by dkim1 »

i agree with mr. cue-ball there...but didn't bring one point out.try synthetic if you never have...your engine will run better with it. you can change it at 3K if ya want or 15K. if you are afraid or don't think it is better, then don't.the #1 reason why i use synthetic is not the long change interval (which is a plus if you don't race), it's because it doesn't break down, if any at all. so, it will run the same or better like the day you got it from the dealer or whoever and feels the same up to 15k minimum. but, conventional oil does and in time you will start to lose power such as loss of compression. of course, you won't notice it because it is a gradual effect and it takes time. about 1k into conventional oil, the smaller molecules burn up leaving you with the larger ones. that's why the engine feels heavier after this initial breakdown of small molecules, slowing down your car. after an oil change though, the car feels like it has just been revitalized by GOD himself and has all this power back. naturally, the more expensive the oil, such as castrol, it won't break down the smaller particles until you get close to give or take 3k. also, i (believe) most conventional oils have parafin in theme (essentially wax). where do you think this stuff goes: slowing down your car even more. i'm with you cue-ball, i don't care what these non-belivers think. j/k.anyhoo, mobil-1 oil filters will last 7,500 miles.
Cue-Ball

Re: Which oil do you use? (dkim1)

Post by Cue-Ball »

Not sure where you think it is cheaper to go with regular oil changes, and where you are getting $11 per qt. of Amsoil. I sell it for alot less than that.Also the Amsoil filters are good for the same amount of time as the oil 25,000 miles. So there is NO need to change the filter in between oil changes.Before you guys start posting opinions might be worth it to do a little research.If your interested I would be willing to share all my oil samples from the Jeep that I have (am not doing testing on the Vibe's oil). Just email me at dirk@4x4oil.com.Dirk
VoodooVibe

Post by VoodooVibe »

I've always used Amsoil in all of my cars, so naturally, when I bought the Vibe in Dec '05, I switched it over to Amsoil 0W30 Series 2000 (and now I also use their new EaO filters - used to use AC Delco).Just a bit about why I like to use Amsoil:My old car was a 1996 Chrysler Intrepid, bought brand new by my father, and passed onto me when it was 2 years old (in '98). I've used Amsoil in it ever since then, and changed the oil every 20,000 km (12,500 miles). I drive mostly in city traffic with a bit of highway everyday, tow a boat trailer regularly, drive in both very hot and very cold weather, and that car gave me no engine problems whatsoever.When I got the Vibe, I sold the Intrepid with 300,000 km (~190,000 miles) on it. It still ran great. I've also used Amsoil Interceptor 2-stroke oil in my Seadoo since 2000 (when I rebuilt the engine), and the inside of the cylinders still look brand new even after 100 hours of use since the rebuild.
2003 Vibe w/M&T, Shadow, 5-speed M/T
isaaclud

Post by isaaclud »

CASTROL GTX.......for years now I've been using thatCASTROL GTX is the TRUTH!!!
PEACEISAAC
binary

Post by binary »

Not to beat a dead horse... but I've put well over 200k miles on vehicles running mobile1. It doesn't make me an expert, but I pay attention and keep track of things as my vehicles run.12k-136k on a duratec V6 - compression was almost exactly the same at 136k as it was new, and I did 8-10k oil changes because most of my trips were long distance >40 mi each way.I don't really care if anyone else switches to synthetic - but you won't get me away from M1.
mathteacher'04vibe

Re: (binary)

Post by mathteacher'04vibe »

I know this thread is old, but I had to see what others are using. I just bought some Castrol Syntec and did some research and discovered that some people claim it's not synthetic since it is derived from petroleum. Either way, I have used Syntec and have used Mobil1 in other cars. My Camaro has gotten Syntec every 5k miles since I bought it w/62k miles. Now at 126k, all is well. I started my grand am on syntec and went to mobil 1. I had several problems including water pump and intake manifold gaskets. Though I think it has nothing to do with the oil, I wonder what would've happened if I consistently used the Syntec.My reason for purchasing Syntec was price and satisfaction. In my Camaro, I get better fuel mileage w/synthetic as well as higher oil psi. When I change the oil, the dipstick is never black--5000 miles later. Syntec 5qt at my local wal mart $21.67, while mobil1 is $23.68. Should I be spending the extra $2.01???
'04 Vibe 1.8VVT-i, K&N Typhoon S/R, Fullboar muffler w/3.5" resonator tip. Sony CDX-GT500 h/u + Fosgate mono amp w/2 10" woofers & cap. Tinted side rear windows, SilverStar headlights and Cool Blue fogs. DC Sports Headers. 2.5" stainless pipe from stock resonator to muffler. Limited 903's (17x7.5) Gunmetal Gray with 225/45/R17 Strata tires. Link to my photobucket videos: http://s100.photobucket.com/al...ideos/
Cougar Vibe

Post by Cougar Vibe »

I've used M1, PP, ST Synthetic, and QS Q-Torque in my Vibe. Seldom to they darken in color, and other than price, I don't notice any real difference between any of them. At this point in my "synthetic experiment," and having read a lot of Corolla info on various forums/boards, I'm thinking of going to $.59 Chevron Supreme. The fact that my Vibe seldom sees cold weather starts (garaged, 30F+) and summer isn't really a problem environment (I live in the PNW) probably means I should be running a cheap, name-brand dino and nothing more.I suspect that, while still under warrantly, all the money I've spent on synths has been a waste. When my Vibe is out of warranty, extended OCI's might make a return to synthetics worth it. BTW: I don't see how oil type would have any relevance upon your Grand Am gasket issues. If I recall, intake manifold problems were part and parcel with 90's era Grand Am's. Also, oil color is not a good indicator of oil performance; some argue that oil that is still amber/clear at 5K means it's not cleaning your engine. I don't know about that, but it's typical corresponding argument I've seen when people discuss oil color.
Atomicpunk

Re: (Cougar Vibe)

Post by Atomicpunk »

If you really want to see clean oil pull the dipstick on an engine that runs on natural gas or propane. You can't tell it needs to be changed by looking at it. You have to keep track of how many hours the engine runs or oil analysis. It does change color a little, it gets more yellow or sometimes grey if you don't change the air filter(s).The best way to tell when to change your oil is use YOUR favorite brand and have the oil analyzed a period of time with different drain intervals to see what your engine likes. It will change as the engine wears.
mathteacher'04vibe

Re: (Atomicpunk)

Post by mathteacher'04vibe »

Atomic punk wrote "If you really want to see clean oil pull the dipstick on an engine that runs on natural gas or propane."I have seen this...I changed heads on a ford 460 that ran on propane. You would think it was a brand new engine (yet it had 270k miles on it). No carbon deposits on the heads, intake, anything.
'04 Vibe 1.8VVT-i, K&N Typhoon S/R, Fullboar muffler w/3.5" resonator tip. Sony CDX-GT500 h/u + Fosgate mono amp w/2 10" woofers & cap. Tinted side rear windows, SilverStar headlights and Cool Blue fogs. DC Sports Headers. 2.5" stainless pipe from stock resonator to muffler. Limited 903's (17x7.5) Gunmetal Gray with 225/45/R17 Strata tires. Link to my photobucket videos: http://s100.photobucket.com/al...ideos/
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

Just to throw some interesting reading at any of you that care to reaserch your decisions about oils... This id the holy grail of oil information... http://theoildrop.server101.co...s.phpAnd if your really interested in what is TRUELY going on with your oil, you can have a Blackstone Oil Anylasis done for 22.50 (if you search hard enough, i think you can get your first free) here... http://www.blackstone-labs.com....htmlEnjoy...