Coolant System Maintenance Question

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
KevinV

Coolant System Maintenance Question

Post by KevinV »

My 2005 base Vibe is about to hit 222k miles and I've been doing a fair bit of preventative maintenance on it the last few hundred miles. I'm getting things together to do a coolant system flush with distilled water next week and filled back up with fresh coolant, and put on new upper/lower radiator hoses. My question is two-fold.

1) Should I change the thermostat and radiator cap since I'm going to be digging this far into it?

2) Will the parts prescribed for the 2005 Matrix from the Toyota dealer fit? (He says he's 97% sure they will).
circuitsmith

Re: Coolant System Maintenance Question

Post by circuitsmith »

If the coolant still looks good I would just drain and refill with the same type (Toyota pink?), no need to flush.
I did this on my '06 Matrix at the 5 year mark.
IMHO yes, you should change the cap and thermostat (Toyota parts); I plan to change them at the 10 year mark.
2006 Matrix 5-sp
KevinV

Post by KevinV »

Thanks for your advice. I thought about it a little more and have decided to definitely change the thermostat and cap. I'll do the heater hoses while I'm at it too on recommendation of Chilton's. I'd rather do it now preventatively than have to do it later and spend more on the coolant again. I'm also going to do the reverse flush with compressed air on the heater core while I'm in there. The car is my wife's primary vehicle and the peace of mind it will add far exceeds the cost of the parts.
Water boy

Post by Water boy »

KevinV wrote:Thanks for your advice. I thought about it a little more and have decided to definitely change the thermostat and cap. I'll do the heater hoses while I'm at it too on recommendation of Chilton's. I'd rather do it now preventatively than have to do it later and spend more on the coolant again. I'm also going to do the reverse flush with compressed air on the heater core while I'm in there. The car is my wife's primary vehicle and the peace of mind it will add far exceeds the cost of the parts.
Can you expand on that please?

But, I sometimes believe it is best to not kick a sleeping bear.
47,891 Added new horns
47,900 Yokohama Avid 205/55-16 $492.40 drive out w/TPMS rebuild kits
69,036 Added sound deadening
70,395 Battery
106,019 Yokohama YK580 205/55-16 $589.19 drive out
KevinV

Post by KevinV »

Water boy wrote:
Can you expand on that please?

But, I sometimes believe it is best to not kick a sleeping bear.
Mine isn't clogged, so I don't plan to run any chemicals through it. I just want to clear the coolant out of it before I start flushing with distilled water. I figure with the radiator and block drained, and the heater blown clear, I should have very little old coolant left in the system.

Here's a video of the process.
Vulcan05

Post by Vulcan05 »

Every two or three years, I open the radiator drain. When it quits draining, I fill the radiator with new antifreeze and check it a couple of times after driving to make sure there were no air pockets. Been doing this with EVERY vehicle I have ever owned for OVER 50 years. New and used. Have never had a problem.
I also do much the same with the trannys. If they don't have a drain, I use a suction device thru the dipstick hole. Just measure what you take out, and replace a like amount.
Remember, KISS (keep it simple, stupid). Like a previous poster said, "No need to kick a sleeping bear".
2010 Vibe. Moon roof, Monsoon, 2.4 engine, 5 speed auto, cruise, dark gray.
Flip-Side

Post by Flip-Side »

KevinV wrote: I'd rather do it now preventatively than have to do it later and spend more on the coolant again. I'm also going to do the reverse flush with compressed air on the heater core while I'm in there. The car is my wife's primary vehicle and the peace of mind it will add far exceeds the cost of the parts.
This is definitely the right move if you drive a lot like me. Keep toyota coolant in it, change the hoses, and make sure to use toyota OEM thermostat and cap. Do not use a auto part store house brand. Go to toyota and buy a real thermostat. I learned this after 2 premature failures, and sitting on the roadside taught me do just as what was suggested by others above. The aftermarket thermostats for the 1z and 2z flow like garbage.
Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others have labored hard for.