Aftermarket Front Bumper Cover

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
MNZach

Aftermarket Front Bumper Cover

Post by MNZach »

Hello, I purchased a 2003 Salsa Red Base model, and I am in the process of making it "a nice car." Mine has the in-mold gray textured cladding around the bottom of the car, and the front bumper cover is (of course) cracked from the previous owner running into something. I wanted to replace this piece and found a very affordable part from a company called Auto Lighthouse on eBay. I ordered it and it was sent to me fairly quickly and the shipping was free, but the part is not gray - it is actually tinged blue. I am trying to convince them to pay to have the part shipped back to them because this box is huge and it will be quite expensive to ship. My problem is this: They claim that the bumper needs to be primed and painted by a local body shop, even though the part is an in-mold textured part. My guess is that their customer service reps do not understand the finer points of plastics...
At any rate, before I call them and explain exactly why I can't paint the bumper (which I am physically capable of doing since I paint parts at work quite frequently), I figured I should verify that the cladding did in fact come from the factory gray, and not bluish-gray.
So, does anyone know if the trim on these puppies came a bluish-gray from the factory and then faded to just normal light gray, or did the cheap Chinese manufacturer neglect to match the color of the OEM plastic in their aftermarket part?