Derale Tranny Cooler

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
rtrvibe2006

Derale Tranny Cooler

Post by rtrvibe2006 »

Hi, I picked up a Derale Transmission Cooler for the Vibe with intentions of towing my 15' boat. I've googled the site, but curious if anyone has experience installing a Derale Tranny cooler? Any pics of your install would be appreciated? Tips/Pointers? Is it possible to install the cooler without removing the front facia?

Cheers
RTR
cthomasparr

Re: Derale Tranny Cooler

Post by cthomasparr »

I have a series 8000 that I have not installed in my 2004 vibe. I kind of remember thinking there was lots of room to install without needing to remove anything. Not sure if you have the 2005+ front end. I didn't install it when I was doing some work recently which included replacing the radiator and changing the transmission filter and fluid. Would have been the perfect time, but it was the beginning of winter and I wanted to make sure the filter and fluid were ok. May do it before the weather warms up.

Let me know if there is something specific that you were wondering about and if you have the same setup.
cthomasparr

Post by cthomasparr »

Sorry. I see you have a 2006 !!

I just looked at my vibe and I see there is lots of room in front of the A/C condenser and I can put it in that area and have lots of access from below. I may be missing a protective plastic cover. When I look down between the grill and condenser I see only my driveway. It appears that it might also fit between the radiator and condenser, but that looks tight and not the suggested install.

The one thing that looks like it might be a challenge is threading the clamps through the condenser. Not sure how easy it will be to put the plastic ties through the condenser without moving the radiator out of the way. Pulling the radiator out should be easy enough. I think if you remove the upper clamps, you can tilt it toward the firewall enough to get enough access to put in the ties.

When are you planning on installing yours?
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

rtrvibe2006 wrote:Is it possible to install the cooler without removing the front facia?
Well, I know you don't want to remove it, but if you have a 2003-08 model, removing it isn't that bad. You have 5 rivet-style plastic clips and 10 crews and bolts to remove, and KITT I think has a guide on these forums somewhere... If you're working alone, you can tape the painted areas of the fenders with painter's tap to prevent the bumper from scratching it while you pull it off or put it on. This is a great skill to have since many newer cars are intentionally designed to prevent you from changing your bulbs without pulling the bumper and headlights (I'm looking at you, GM).
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
Water boy

Post by Water boy »

MOST IMPORTANT ! ! !
Get a Stacked Plate cooler.

This is what I installed on my work van.
http://derale.com/products/coolers/tran ... kit-detail

I know, not for your application. I bypassed the radiator completely. Trans temp is running 124* this week. That is the temp sensor that is right after the torque converter which is the hottest point. Water temp is running 188* this week as well. I've got 336,000 miles and all is still original.
47,891 Added new horns
47,900 Yokohama Avid 205/55-16 $492.40 drive out w/TPMS rebuild kits
69,036 Added sound deadening
70,395 Battery
106,019 Yokohama YK580 205/55-16 $589.19 drive out
rtrvibe2006

Post by rtrvibe2006 »

cthomasparr wrote:Sorry. I see you have a 2006 !!

I just looked at my vibe and I see there is lots of room in front of the A/C condenser and I can put it in that area and have lots of access from below. I may be missing a protective plastic cover. When I look down between the grill and condenser I see only my driveway. It appears that it might also fit between the radiator and condenser, but that looks tight and not the suggested install.

The one thing that looks like it might be a challenge is threading the clamps through the condenser. Not sure how easy it will be to put the plastic ties through the condenser without moving the radiator out of the way. Pulling the radiator out should be easy enough. I think if you remove the upper clamps, you can tilt it toward the firewall enough to get enough access to put in the ties.

When are you planning on installing yours?
Thanks to all that replied... cthomasparr -- I do have a 2006, and I have a Derale Series 8000 Plate and Fin. That was what Etrailer recommended for the Vibe.

I am wondering if I need the additional GM adapter fitting ? I don't think I need it after nosing under the hood tonight, but wanted to confirm with the group here?

Anyone that has used mounting brackets vs the zip tie arrangement through the rad fins?

Cheers
rtr
rtrvibe2006

Post by rtrvibe2006 »

Can anyone offer suggestions on how to route the hoses on the tranny cooler install? Things look pretty tight on the pass side with the only access that exists stock with what looks like lines to the freon reservoir?
Any help, suggestions would be appreciated!!!

Cheers
rtr
cthomasparr

Post by cthomasparr »

Missed your replies. Notify feature not working well for me on several posts. Let me know if you have done the install yet. I will take a look tonight and check this thread in a few days. Thanks.
cthomasparr

Post by cthomasparr »

I think the supplied Insta-dapt adapter should work with the OEM radiator. That was built by Denso even though it has a GM badge, most parts are Toyota OEM suppliers. The other part of the hose should clamp to the metal lines that are removed. I will verify. I have a spare Denso radiator that I have not installed yet so I can check that the adapter threads in the trans lines.
cthomasparr

Post by cthomasparr »

Looks like flexible rubber tube from the transmission attaches to the metal connectors that are attached to the radiator. In cars that have hard metal lines to the radiator, you would remove those and use the supplied adapter. For the external cooler, you would just disconnect the return rubber hose from the radiator and slip on the external cooler's line on that fitting on the radiator with a hose clamp. After the cooler is mounted now you have a return line from the cooler and the lose return to the transmission. I believe that you can use the supplied insta-dapt connector with two hose clamps for that. The screw on part of the fitting would have to be pushed to the center of the tube in this case and really wouldn't do anything. That long length of hose should probably be zip tied to the other line to keep it from bumping into things. I realize that was the other part of the question and I would have to take a better look at where lines could be routed.
cthomasparr

Post by cthomasparr »

actually attempted the install this morning. I have A/C and I noticed the receiver/dryer was in the way of a horizontal install. I tried to fit it vertically (resulted in an upper and lower hose). The supplied hose seemed to short to get two lines from the lower part of the radiator up through the access area on the top and back down for both connections. I will probably pickup more hose and give it a go another day.

My earlier suggestion about using their adapter seems unnecessary. I noticed that the piece of rubber hose on the lower connection to the radiator was short and could be removed resulting in two "flared" metallic factory tubes.

If you did the install, would be interested in how you arranged it.