2010 Vibe - need rust protection?

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
Jack99

2010 Vibe - need rust protection?

Post by Jack99 »

My region is now entering winter snow/ice months - where lots of road sand / salt is used.

I can buy rust proofing spray for $100 or save the $100 (and take the risk).

We plan to keep our Vibe for another 7-9 years.

From your view, does the 2010 Vibe's underbelly design need rust spray protection?

thanks.
SeattleJeremy

Re: 2010 Vibe - need rust protection?

Post by SeattleJeremy »

Rust Proofing spray is generally applied to the underside surfaces of the car where the body meets the suspension parts and in the seams. Vibes are unabody cars have less seams than body on frame cars of the passed.

Having wide areas of body rust is very uncommon in Vibes. When rust is discussed it's normally when talking about doing brake repair, suspension work, of exhaust. Areas where rust proofing spray is not effective or not applied. Here's a thread talking about the rust Vibes actually encounter.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=41505" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hopefully someone with a second gen Vibe in the rust\salt belt can chime in, but I wouldn't suggest paying for a rust proofing spray service.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
Jack99

Post by Jack99 »

Thanks for your feedback.

Based on your feedback, I did some google surfing and also noticed there wasn't too many "rust problems" posts for the Vibe model.

Thus, supporting your post.

Thanks again for your feedback.
j42.snyder

Post by j42.snyder »

In my area, I don't think any vehicle is impervious to rust and corrosion. We have frequent freeze/thaw cycles, lots of salt and calcium chloride brine sprayed on the roads, and plenty of moisture the rest of the year to help keep things going.

I've thoroughly kept mine sprayed since new to hopefully prevent issues from starting. Most vehicles I've owned over the years came off the road due to corrosion issues long before being worn out. I'm aiming for 15 years out of this one, so hopefully my plan of spraying it at least annually keeps things healthy. So far, so good. I also give everything under the hood and around the wheels a thorough cleaning every spring, and then re-spray it as soon as it's dry. Even the fittings on my brake lines still look shiny and new after cleaning. My brother had a '09 that was only sprayed once, and before he got rid of it last year all the same fittings were crusty and brown on his. The body on his didn't have any obvious rust starting yet, but most vehicles don't until they're at least 5 years old these days.

Over the years I've been under many cars around here (southern Ontario), and very few have ever looked to me like they really didn't need any extra protection. In fact the only one I ever saw that was a few years old and still looked extremely clean (for daily use) was a Volvo XC70. Not exactly in the same price category as a Vibe.

If you only want to keep it 7-9 years and not have it LOOK too rusty, these appear to be made with decent enough materials (and seams sealed well enough from the factory) that you may be able to skip extra protection. However, often it's the stuff like brake and fuel lines that can get pricey to fix when they rot out, and things get harder to fix when they're all corroded together as well. If I can spend around $100 per year to get a potential extra 5+ years from the car, I think that's a pretty good investment. Even if my needs change and I need something different, at least I have a car that will retain more of its value, and if when that time comes my kids need a vehicle, I know of one that will still be solid and safe for them to take over...

John
SomeYahoo

Post by SomeYahoo »

What do you spray yours with John? Doesn't sound like the standard rubberized coating I'm thinking of...
Currently:
2004 Vibe GT Abyss 165k mi - FOR SALE
Past:
2003 Vibe GT Sold Loooooong ago
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

The best way to keep rust off the car is wash it even during the winter months. Living in New York/Wisconsin I can remember my dad going to the manual car wash in cold weather. Down south here I give it a bath after every snow storm when the roads are clear.
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

John. Seeing how you're up there in "the great white north", I really like the Krown rustproofing theory & techlonogy .... http://www.krown.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; It's not available down here in the states but a short drive over to Windsor and I could have mine done if/when I will actually drive it more in the winter. I believe they spray some sort of petroleum based product all over the underside and it then "creeps" into seams & other prone areas where rust could surface. Also I believe this needs to be done annually to stay on top of it. Money well spent if you plan on keeping the car for a very long time
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
j42.snyder

Post by j42.snyder »

I use Krown's product and do it myself. I've known the guys that run the Krown locally here for over 20 years now. I buy the product by the pail, and use my own spray gun to apply it. I wish they'd just give me a break on the price! Fortunately, it only takes a bit over a liter to do the whole car properly, so my pail lasts for a while - even with doing other family member's cars as well.

I do the entire undercarriage including suspension, under the hood, inside the doors (spray up through the drain holes), all hinges, and inside any other cavities I can get access to (inside front fenders from under the hood, inside the rocker panels from removing the door sill trim, etc.)

Their product seems very similar to engine oil rather than a tar. It's light, so it can creep well inside seams where moisture likes to collect. My displacing the moisture and providing a barrier from oxygen as well, it helps to keep the rust from being able to start.

I know that there are other similar products out there, but I've seen many vehicles treated with this product over the years and I know it works. It definitely needs to be done annually to be most effective since it is rather light, and washes off the most exposed surfaces in that time.

Hope this answers any questions.

John
SomeYahoo

Post by SomeYahoo »

How messy is it to do the self-application? Do I need to park the car on a giant piece of cardboard to spray it on? I've been to the Krown website and they talk about drips and how to clean them up, so I can imagine that spraying a car in the driveway/garage would cause issues...
Currently:
2004 Vibe GT Abyss 165k mi - FOR SALE
Past:
2003 Vibe GT Sold Loooooong ago
j42.snyder

Post by j42.snyder »

Yes - it can definitely be a messy job! Not only during, but for a while afterwards it's going to drip - especially during warmer weather. Park over cardboard, gravel, or grass for a couple of days if possible. It's not supposed to stain, but I wouldn't test that claim.

Outdoors is a must, unless it's a dedicated facility. The mist will cling to everything. I wear a dust mask at a minimum, and always try to be "upwind". Avoid really windy days too though - they can get rather wasteful and the neighbors won't like you very much.

My equipment is at my in-laws house. Fortunately they have a gravel driveway there. Let's just say that dust isn't a concern...

I'd strongly recommend getting it done professionally. They have the best equipment for the job, and most are pretty thorough. My father in law already owned the equipment for me to use, so I've stuck mostly to doing it myself to save $$. I have paid them a couple of times to do it if I bought a vehicle at a time of year where I didn't want to try doing it outside myself. It's not exactly the most enjoyable job even in nicer weather.

To get under the car, all I have are a couple of fairly standard steel ramps with extensions to help with low ground clearance cars. It's a bit tight crawling under the center portion of the car, but I still fit. My back, however seems to be less impressed with my choice to do so with each passing year :)

John