100K Checkup

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
Hutchvibe

100K Checkup

Post by Hutchvibe »

My 2005 is just a few mi. from turning over 100,000 mi. I've done my best to take good care of it and it has been extremely reliable.
With the help of this forum I have successfully resolved the door check/window problem and the hvac fresh air door gear problem. THANKS GUYS1
Now I'm getting ready to make another trip from Pa. to Colorado and I'm wondering if there are maintenance items I could have overlooked.
At 50K I replaced the serpentine belt and did a tranny flush and filter. I will do these 2 items again before I go. The plugs are fresh, the MAS is clean and of course, the air filter, oil and filter and tire balance and rotate are all done. Brakes were replaced at 80K.

Am I overlooking anything? Do you guys repack rear wheel bearings at some interval? How about the power steering fluid, does it need replacement if all seems well? This car has been a gem and I don't want to miss anything and end up sitting on the roadside somewhere in the mid-west!

Help.
SeattleJeremy

Re: 100K Checkup

Post by SeattleJeremy »

The rear wheel bearings are not user serviceable. If they fail, the entire unit must be replaced. They should be inspected, but only replaced if something is wrong.
Power steering fluid does not have a service interval in the manual, the levels should be checked. If levels are low, top off, and watch for leaks.

Here is the owners manual, make sure everything else is uptodate (section 6-2)
http://www.genvibe.com/images/misc/manuals/2004vibe.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Many owners on this forum have 200,000 miles + on their Vibes, and many more Matrix and Corolla owners. Keep the maintenance in check, and you'll have no trouble.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
triz

Post by triz »

Coolant would be the only thing that comes to mind.
http://lubedealer.com/mr2ner/home.aspx Please use ZO#5172967
Member discounts when you sign up as Preffered Customer. New Amsoil Customers only
Hutchvibe

Post by Hutchvibe »

Thanks for the reply Jeremy. My wheel bearings seem fine and it's good to know that they don't require maintenance. The pwr steering is fine and the engine compartment looks near showroom when I wipe it down at every other washing so I know that everything is tight and dry.

Thank you too triz for mentioning the coolant. I did replace it at 50K and will do it again before this trip.

I'm still a little curious about the life span of coolant hoses...mine look fine with no sign of cracking or swelling so I'm trusting them. I am still curious about the bearing in the belt tensioner...it's smooth and quiet but in some vehicles I know it's replaced with the belt. Any more thoughts?

Oh, what about valve tappets? I've never checked or adjusted them as they are quiet and the car runs great..do many find them out of spec. when checked or do most go by "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". I don't want to damage my valves but I don't know who I'd trust to fool with mine.
zythr

Post by zythr »

Hutchvibe wrote:Thanks for the reply Jeremy. My wheel bearings seem fine and it's good to know that they don't require maintenance. The pwr steering is fine and the engine compartment looks near showroom when I wipe it down at every other washing so I know that everything is tight and dry.

Thank you too triz for mentioning the coolant. I did replace it at 50K and will do it again before this trip.

I'm still a little curious about the life span of coolant hoses...mine look fine with no sign of cracking or swelling so I'm trusting them. I am still curious about the bearing in the belt tensioner...it's smooth and quiet but in some vehicles I know it's replaced with the belt. Any more thoughts?

Oh, what about valve tappets? I've never checked or adjusted them as they are quiet and the car runs great..do many find them out of spec. when checked or do most go by "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". I don't want to damage my valves but I don't know who I'd trust to fool with mine.

You did not check the valves? Oh well. Even though labor intensive it does pay to have them checked. I don't know if all of them would make noise if they are out of adjustment. If one or more is, it is going to be time consuming and probably expensive since the camshafts have to be removed to access the shims, which means the timing belt has to be removed as well.

You're wise to have doubts on who to trust, some mechanics will say they did it and don't still charging you like they did. Others won't want to do it because of the time and labor. That leaves the honest ones. Where to go? Probably dealer, since independent would order any replacement shims (if needed) from the dealer anyway. Good luck
Hutchvibe

Post by Hutchvibe »

Well, they are quiet and the vibe is running like a top. I am familiar with other shim and bucket adjusted valves and in those engines almost nobody even bothered to check them with no resulting problems (high reving Honda v-4 motorcycles). I'm going with all the fluids and a general inspection and then just drive drive drive. Thanks for the response.
JohnO

Post by JohnO »

I would go ahead and change the radiator hoses when changing the coolant. I change the large radiator hoses on the second coolant change and all the smaller hoses on the 3rd coolant change. The larger hoses seem to age more quickly and I find after 8 years or so they are getting soft.
triz

Post by triz »

I don't think you have to worry much about the valves. At 100k miles if you have been taking care of it the way it looks like you have, its not an issue.

One thing I almost forgot is the diffs. I don't know what it entails on the Vibe but that's something you might want to change at some point in time.
http://lubedealer.com/mr2ner/home.aspx Please use ZO#5172967
Member discounts when you sign up as Preffered Customer. New Amsoil Customers only
Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

How long has it been since the brake fluid has been changed?

I do mine every two years, and bleed them on the years I don't change the fluid.

It's amazing how much better the brakes feel, with all new brake fluid.

Brake fluid is hygroscopic, and old fluid can damage your master cylinder, calipers and wheel cylinders, if not replaced at reasonable intervals.

A year after I change the fluid, I'm always bleeding out cloudy fluid. The system isn't nearly as well 'sealed' as you might think.
Hutchvibe

Post by Hutchvibe »

Good recommendation on the brake fluid. On The older Honda cycles with the hydraulic clutches, the fluid in time looks like mud and causes seal leaks and internal corrosion. I'll get out my mighty vac and get a jug of fluid and suck fluid out of each wheel cylinder till all 4 run clear.
circuitsmith

Post by circuitsmith »

I change brake fluid every 3 years. Drain & refill reservoir, bleed out old fluid.
I drain and refill the power steering reservoir once a year. Easy peasy.
I change thermostat & radiator cap every other coolant change.
2006 Matrix 5-sp
Blueridge9

Post by Blueridge9 »

Hutchvibe, Congrats on taking care of your Vibe to 100K and beyond! I just reached 100K too and appreciate all the maintenance tips.
:idea: :)
Blueridge9 2004 Base, 1.8L "The Vibe is a melding of muscular looks, ..utility & economy, sportiness & road-hugging tractability." -Road & Track Magazine Sept. 2008 Pictures: http://s278.photobucket.com/user/blueridge9/library/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Water boy

Post by Water boy »

circuitsmith wrote:I change brake fluid every 3 years. Drain & refill reservoir, bleed out old fluid.
As a side question, what method have you been using?
47,891 Added new horns
47,900 Yokohama Avid 205/55-16 $492.40 drive out w/TPMS rebuild kits
69,036 Added sound deadening
70,395 Battery
106,019 Yokohama YK580 205/55-16 $589.19 drive out
circuitsmith

Post by circuitsmith »

Water boy wrote:
circuitsmith wrote:I change brake fluid every 3 years. Drain & refill reservoir, bleed out old fluid.
I use a piece of small (3/8") flexible hose and siphon.
2006 Matrix 5-sp
Water boy

Post by Water boy »

circuitsmith wrote:
Water boy wrote:
I use a piece of small (3/8") flexible hose and siphon.
So you use the "motor off" method as compared to a "running flush".
47,891 Added new horns
47,900 Yokohama Avid 205/55-16 $492.40 drive out w/TPMS rebuild kits
69,036 Added sound deadening
70,395 Battery
106,019 Yokohama YK580 205/55-16 $589.19 drive out
circuitsmith

Post by circuitsmith »

If the old fluid is still in decent shape there's no need to completely flush.
2006 Matrix 5-sp
Renthorin

Post by Renthorin »

I too am closing in on the 100k mark. When is it recommended to replace the timing chain/belt (not sure which) on a 2008 vibe?
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

Renthorin wrote:I too am closing in on the 100k mark. When is it recommended to replace the timing chain/belt (not sure which) on a 2008 vibe?
I've seen people talk about replacing the timing chain, but have yet to find a definitive answer on when it should be changed. My car has 158,000 miles on the original chain, and no signs that it needs to be changed yet.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
dnoishere

Post by dnoishere »

...well I'm at about 92000 mi. and ready to change all the struts and some new treads with an alinement. I just did a radiator flush refill and replaced the lower hose. Upper hose was done a while ago as was front brakes. A new belt is coming and some power steering/brake fluid refreshments...New spark plugs @91000 mi....Tranny fluid was changed year ago but not the filter...maybe a spring time job. Gonna check on that MFS cleaning....
Attachments
DSCN1601_Fotor.jpg
DSCN1601_Fotor.jpg (14.61 KiB) Viewed 3388 times