Oil Capacity??

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
sparky494

Oil Capacity??

Post by sparky494 »

Sorry if this topic has been beat to death already but I am gonna throw this out there. I brought home my '09 GT a little over 2 weeks ago. I decided to change the oil right away because I didn't trust the salesman when he told me that the oil was just changed, along with the 144 point inspection. (yea right) I looked in the Pontiac owners manual and it said 4.5 qts with filter change. Then I checked the Toyota owners manual online and it said 4.0 qts with filter change. I changed the oil, dumped in 4qts drove to work (30 miles) and checked the oil before I left for home. I am reading about 1/8 of an inch above the upper dimple on the dipstick. I am curious as to what other 2.4l 2AZ-FE owners do. Do you use 4 or 4.5 qts?
Just for the record I use Mobil1 full synthetic and NAPA platinum filters on all my vehicles.
Rayven01

Re: Oil Capacity??

Post by Rayven01 »

I put 4 qts in and it's right where you said yours was. The GM manual is full of inaccuracies (wrong transmission fluid, wrong coolant, wrong capacities, etc). I pretty much gave up even looking at it and just go straight to the Toyota Matrix one.
Image  Image
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Same here. I first put in the 4.5 quarts and the dipstick was 1/4" over the full mark. The next oil change I just put 4 quarts in and it war right within the range. Don't even get me going on all the errors that GM published related to any documentation pertaining to our 2009-10 Vibes :(
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

4 quarts here too.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
hiker147

Post by hiker147 »

Four quarts also.
Glenpointe

Post by Glenpointe »

4 quarts is the correct amount. 2.4L owners should make an effort to check the oil level regularly. My story is: Changing oil in my son 2009 Vibe with 2.4L with 105K miles. Only two quarts of oil came out after 4,900 miles since last oil change. The engine is so clean so safe to assume the engine is burning oil. After I did some search, and I realized the 2009 2.4L engine is known to consume oil excessively. The Vibe is still in great shape and runs great, and I wanted to fix the oil consuming problem. This means, I have to remove the head and the lower half of the engine block to be able to remove the pistons. Or should I just buy a short block and swap it? Or keep adding oil every 1,000 miles...still debating. :-(
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

I'm pouring a full bottle of Seafoam into the engine 200 miles before my oil changes to see if it will unclog the oil return holes at the bottom of the piston head. When I change the oil, I have one of my quarts replaced with Lucas Oil. I have done this once and will do it two more times before reporting back here as to whether I am able to keep my alcoholic car from bellying up to every Irish bar it passes. I wouldn't throw any significant money at the Vibe given that you might have to put in a newly designed piston to actually solve your problem. Not worth it in my book. I'll try my $20 experiment for awhile and if it doesn't work, feed it cheap dinosaur oil until the next major issue comes along. Then it's over the cliff with this baby.