Transmission fluid for 2010 Vibe

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
etsinko

Transmission fluid for 2010 Vibe

Post by etsinko »

Hello,
I have a 1.8l Pontiac Vibe 2010 with an automatic transmission. The car has about 92000 km on odometer and I think its about time to flush the transmission and replace oil in it.
I took the car to the GM dealer to do a transmission flush and they told me they were out of Type IV fluid so they couldn't do the flush. I booked a new appointment and went away. Later that day I checked owner's manual and found that WS ATF fluid is required instead of Type IV.
Would it cause any problems if they had Type IV fluid and used it in my car's transmission? Should I insist on using WS ATF on my next appointment?

Thank you!
trb

Re: Transmission fluid for 2010 Vibe

Post by trb »

Check the dipstick to see if it needs WS or T-IV. I think all 09-10 use WS, and for sure make sure before you let them change it. WS is thinner and T-IV wont work if it needs the thinner fluid. Toyota does not cross the two types from what I've seen. I'm sure others will chime in too.

Edit: did a search and found this. See the 5th post on a GM service bulletin:

viewtopic.php?t=31600" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You are very lucky they did not change it when you went in the first time, or your trans could have been damaged.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
vzDean1600

Post by vzDean1600 »

It takes ws fluid, I get my vibe serviced at the Toyota dealer. I had it to the gm dealer for a warranty water pump, and they put dexcool into it. I need to get that stuff out of it ASAP, and replace it with Toyota pink. Toyota definitely knows the drive train (and the rest of the car, imho) better than GM.
Dean
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

I'm glad they were out of the T-IV fluid since it is wrong. As the others have rightfully stated, your transmission has World Standard fluid in it, as indicated by the WS on the dipstick shaft. Your car also has Toyota Pink Super Long Life Coolant (SLLC) and can be confirmed by the pink color in the overflow jug. I too went to my Toyota dealer and negotiated a price of $200 out the door for the World Standard fluid flush. I also bought the SLLC recently to top off my coolant overflow jug due to the GM technicians taking my tank off and losing some of the fluid during the camshaft actuator installation. I am fortunate that they did not try to top me off with Dexcool, given that our owner's manuals incorrectly state we have Dexcool and T-IV.
etsinko

Post by etsinko »

Thanks for the replies guys!
You all sound like adding dexcool is as bad as using type IV liquid in transmission. What is the problem with Dexcool coolant? The reason I'm asking is because I topped up coolant with Prestone Dexcool approved 50/50 mix.
cq358

Post by cq358 »

I found a good site on doing a complete /partial flush from T nation, Thanks Hardtop
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/104-5 ... -pics.html
I also add the diagram for the best return line disconnect location
Attachments
MatrixU250Eflush.jpg
MatrixU250Eflush.jpg (62.25 KiB) Viewed 8589 times
Vulcan05

Post by Vulcan05 »

Just take it to a Toyota dealer. GM dealers have a hard enough time figuring out GM junk.
2010 Vibe. Moon roof, Monsoon, 2.4 engine, 5 speed auto, cruise, dark gray.
cq358

Post by cq358 »

I called the dealer's service department point blank asking how much they charge for a Vibe's WS fluid.
They told me Dextron VI would be the correct one... :roll: Then I said "Okay Then"...
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

cq358 wrote:I called the dealer's service department point blank asking how much they charge for a Vibe's WS fluid.
They told me Dextron VI would be the correct one... :roll: Then I said "Okay Then"...
Good lord, no; As the previous poster stated, take it to a Toyota dealership and have them do the service with World Standard fluid. I did. I am now trying to the same Toyota dealership to do my front brakes since they have a great deal going. The small print says "Toyota cars only" but I'll keep pestering them to see if they will do them. They did my tranny; I don't know why they won't do the front brake pads. The numbers for the ('09) Matrix and Vibe are the same according to Rock Auto. I know the brake pads that the GM dealership uses are pretty low grade, so I thought I might try the Toyota ones since they have a great deal going at my local dealership.
trb

Post by trb »

cq358 wrote:I called the dealer's service department point blank asking how much they charge for a Vibe's WS fluid.
I would have said, "Okay, Then, will you be paying for my new transmission when it blows up because you used the wrong fluid in it? This is a Toyota drivetrain, not a GM one, or don't you have a clue about any of your products?" :roll:
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car