Attempting Oil Change myself for first time...

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
Mikeximus

Attempting Oil Change myself for first time...

Post by Mikeximus »

OK, I am new to the boards, and have started doing my own maint. on my 2006 Vibe (Base). I am tired of paying $60+ for oil changes, and the crazy prices for breaks, etc, etc...

I have already done a spark plug swap out myself, I did the MAF Cleaning, and the Air filter myself. I have also replaced various headlight, tail lights myself. So I am getting pretty good at this.

Today is my first Oil Change. I have found a good video on Youtube that shows how to do a Oil Change on a 2006 Vibe, but my question for you guys here is, What do you folks recommend as far as a oil filter brand. I know cheapest isn't always best, but the more expensive isn't always best either, so I am all ears as to what you guys think...
millster

Re: Attempting Oil Change myself for first time...

Post by millster »

I've used Purolator Classic on my wife's Matrix the past couple of times and they seem to hold up well.
Wix filters have always served me well, too. I generally use those on my turbocharged Saab and have yet to have one fail.
Not to sound like a broken record, but I generally shy away from Fram. While I can't say they've been consistently bad, I've had 3 collapse internally and cause oil pressure issues on two different vehicles over the years when I've never had that happen with any other filter. That makes me just nervous enough to keep from using them. I've not seen better results from more expensive filters. If I'm honest, my Saab had a Wal-Mart SuperTech filter on it when I purchased it with 200,000 miles and the engine in it is nearly flawless. I think a lot of it comes down to personal preference and with the notable exception of collapsing Frams, they all seem to do a decent job within the scope of their service specifications.
-Millster-
2006 Toyota Matrix XR
1995 Saab 9000CSE 2.3T
1986 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas (GM Drivetrain Conversion)
2007 Outback XT EJ257 2.6L Build
jake75

Post by jake75 »

I would be tired of paying $60+ for oil changes. However, my GM dealer has an oil change card - 10 changes for $189.00. And somehow I am more comfortable having my oil changes done at a dealer than Jiffy Lube. [It was $119 for 10 - I am still have one LOF left on that card.]

At $18.90 per LOF the difference in cost compared to buying your oil and filter just isn't worth the bother unless you actually enjoy the experience.

P.S. The nearby Goodyear dealer often runs coupons for $19.95 oil changes, or $29.95 that includes a tire rotation. I have had my T&C serviced there especvially when I need a tire rotation.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

I'm fine with anything this side of a Fram orange can of death on the Vibe. ;) Knowing what I know now about OCOD's thanks to the interwebs, I cringe at how I (and my father) used to run these things exclusively. I can say have never had one fail though...

In the Vibe, I started out using AC Delco but discovered I could get what appears to be the same exact filter for less in the Supertech brand. (made by the same company.) Those worked fine.

Wix and Purolator are also great choices. I am currently running a Purolator PureOne and plan on sticking with them. Seems to be a great filter and at the local Meijer I can usually get them cheap or free in an oil combo deal. I really like the grippy textured paint on them, makes it easier to work with. ;)
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
trb

Post by trb »

I just posted on a similar thread on my local reef aquarium website! LOL!

The Toyota filters for our Vibes only run about $5-6 from the local dealer. You can order them online too if you want to buy several, some even have free shipping. I usually run the Motorcraft filters on my Fords, unless I get a discount on a premium filter (Bosch premium, K&N, Pure One etc) with the oil change package from Advance Auto. I'm running Mobil 1 and a Mobil 1 filter on my 2010 Vibe GT right now that I got for $30. I should have bought about 2 or 3 more packages when they were on sale, can't beat that price. Usually I get the synthetic blend package and it comes with one of the better filters above in the deal for about $22-24. But I don't pay more than about $5-6 for a filter if I buy it separately from a package. My son has a Toyota filter with the synthetic blend oil right now. I did not change his oil myself for two years due to the free oil change coupons from GM and the $9.99 coupons from my dealer, but I prefer to do it myself if it is going to cost me more than $25.

Good luck with it!
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

I use purolator oil filters, usually the pureOne's, sometimes the regular, but my completely lazy and unscientific reasoning is that I have a filter cap, a pressed metal cup that fits over the bottom of the filter and takes a 3/8" drive. I know it fits purolator filters, and it makes it so easy to change the filter, that I keep using purolators rather than risk some other brand where I might have to fight to get the cursed thing off the next time.
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

^^ Very important to select one that works with your filter cap! I don't know what the heck happens on the Vibe, but the filter tends to weld itself on despite being fairly certain I didn't put it on very tight. And the cap I have doesn't work right with certain filters, it just breaks loose and spins around. I hope it works OK with the PureOne, will see when it's time to change again.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
trb

Post by trb »

Oh, yes, those filter cap tools are great, but only the metal ones. I had a plastic one, and it would slip, eventhough it "fit" the filter. With the plastic splash shields on the new cars, it makes it much easier to change the filters.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
Mikeximus

Post by Mikeximus »

Thanks for all the info guys! I had to postpone the oil change to next weekend as I got called into work. However, I have taken from this to stay away from fram filters! I am going to watch autozone to see if they have any of those deals where you get a free or reduced oil filter when you purchase the oil itself.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

I have used nothing but OEM Toyota oil filters on our 2009 Vibe GTs for the past 3.5 years with no issues. I order a 10 pack from TRD Sparks and it breaks down to about $3.50 a filter which is a couple bucks cheaper then getting them directly from my semi-local Toyota dealer. Every time we change the oil on the Vibes, my dad always comments on how the ends of the Toyota oil filters come wrapped in plastic and how much he likes that because you don't have to worry about any kind of junk getting in there before installation.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
ThePatriot

Post by ThePatriot »

Purolator, Bosch, and Wix are all just fine. I use purolator because they are easily accessible for me. The white ones are now on the shelves at wal mart for about $3.50 where I live. There's probably nothing to gain for a 5,000 mile oil change between the white classic and the pure one; however, I still use the pure one :D

Most of the other brands will get you by in the world, otherwise every car with an oil change at a quick lube would be blowing up. Really, stay away from the Frams though. They are of absolutely pisspoor construction.
- 2007 Vibe
- 2004 CR-V
KNINE

Post by KNINE »

I prefer Pure One because it rated very high in particle filtration in an article I read several years ago. I use the GT filter because is has a higher capacity, even though I don't have a GT. I don't know if it really makes any difference. I'll use other brands if they come with an oil change special. I won't use FRAM, though. I've heard too many bad things about them failing.

I have 196,000 miles on my car using only synthetic oil. It still doesn't use any oil. The dipstick always reads full when I pull it. This formula has been working out for me so far.
"Don't look to the government to solve your problems, the government is the problem." Ronald Reagan"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin.
MNvibe

Post by MNvibe »

Interesting. I had never heard any bad press about Fram before. I've been using whatever was cheapest (often Fram) for years with no issue. Same thing with the oil. Sold my previous car at 287,000 still running like a champ. Learn something new everyday....
2004 neptune Pontiac Vibe base with 6-speed
Mark

Post by Mark »

I only use NAPA Gold or Platinum oil filters. Gold with conventional and Platinum with synthetic.

My Vibe and my truck both have Platinum filters, the Vibe is running Mobil 1 5W-30 and my truck is running Rotella T6 5W-40. I would be running 0W-30 in the Vibe if I could find it around here.

My 2012 CR-V is getting it's first oil change tomorrow, and will be going to 0W-20 Mobil-1 and a NAPA Platinum filter.
'08 Base Stealth, '05 Base Satellite
omega2551

Post by omega2551 »

I've been using Purolator Classic. They are the second cheapest at the store i go to.