Is my $3900 "STEAL" turning into a robbery?

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
Chiadog

Is my $3900 "STEAL" turning into a robbery?

Post by Chiadog »

Found a new "chink" in my new 2005 Vibe. Noticed that the ATF cooling coil in the radiator is NOT hooked up (see pic.)!
Car fax lists an accident in 2008. So, 4 years and 100'000 miles approx. without an ATF oil cooler.
It gets better. Also NO engine cooling fan! the 40amp fuse was blown. Also since accident? At least this now explains the black tar-sludge under the oil cap.
I hope Toyota engines and trannys are TUFF! We shall see.
chiadog
Attachments
002.JPG
002.JPG (51.86 KiB) Viewed 2607 times
zyzyix

Re: Is my $3900 "STEAL" turning into a robbery?

Post by zyzyix »

Good ,luck in that regard.
Canker

Post by Canker »

I really doubt the cooling fan hasn't worked since 08. Engine would have blown up long ago. Probably just happened.
Did they just hook the cooling lines for the trans together?
03 Pontiac Vibe95 Mazda Miata
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

The factory installed radiator does not have a transmission oil cooler. It's common for aftermarket radiators to come with this feature and never have it hooked up to the transmission.

Have you had any cooling problems? Is there a fan on the radiator? Have you replaced the fuse, did it blow again?
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

Hey Canker,
CarFax lists one accident in 08. Looks to have been a good hit - Original inner wheelwells are there and are worn-out where tires wore thru them. I'm assuming new radiator/ AC radiator as both show NO damage. Underside of engine oil cap was caked with black/brown tar, showing overheated engine.

Hey Seattle J,
1. My brothers 05 (bought new) has the in-radiator ATF cooler (comes with AC option?).
2. Cooling problems? - NO, but I have only driven it 200 miles on the highway in the rain. The engine cooling fan runs fine now (with new 40a fuse) when I turn on the air conditioner. I have not driven it since fan fuse replacement, waiting for title and fresh fluids, etc.

Thanks Guy's,
chiadog
bluneon

Post by bluneon »

sludge under the oil cap does not indicate overheating. it indicates insufficient oil maintenance.
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

Yes, to the oil maintenance. That's what I've read in one of my manuals. But i am guessing when it comes to breaking-down oil, there's more than one way to "'skin a cat". Especially since this car had no operational cooling fan.
chiadog
cq358

Post by cq358 »

But shouldn't be the fan come on when the AC is turned ON? I see AC line from your pic, and Factory never use gear clamps for hose as well looks like they had changed the rad as well.

If you have an automatic, it should have those transmission line connected to the rad as well. I not sure about the States, but 100% of Toyota in Canada has transmission line run to the rad.
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

Hey CQ,
From what I understand, You are correct on all accounts!
I discovered the non-functioning radiator fan while troubleshooting the non-functioning air conditioning. The 40amp fuse for the engine/air conditioning fan was blown! Replaced the fuse and now have great air conditioner, plus the fan runs at high engine temp as it should.
On the Tranny cooler. I have re-connected it, as I believe ALL auto transmission Vibes came from the factory with the radiator ATF cooler.
A little history on the car, 2005 Vibe. I bought the car in August 2012. Inspection showed a pretty major front-end hit in its past: Both plastic inner wheel wells are worn thru from contact with the front tires.
The repair for this damage was half-fast, if you know what I mean. They installed new parts - radiator, AC condenser, etc. But, never hooked-up Tranny cooler or tested the air-conditioning. If only cars could talk!
chiadog
cq358

Post by cq358 »

Hey Cdog,

Since the purpose of this car is a beater, as long as car can stop and drive properly enough to get certified that all you need.

Corolla /Vibe is a very easy vehicle to fix so I think even the front end pushed in, as long as the car is tracking straight, there is no cut at any of the wiring harnesses during body repair (causes electrical problems), car fired up and not stalling, that basically all you need. Can turn A/C on or all power window stuff are considered a bonus.