Trans Fluid FINALLY Changed....

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
Wolfman213

Trans Fluid FINALLY Changed....

Post by Wolfman213 »

...at 175K... ...for the first time... :o :shock: :oops:

I'm prepared for all the flaming and hating that I rightfully deserve BUT

My trans guy (who has strictly been a trans guy for 30+ years) said that aside from the oil being BLACK, everything looked really good!!! Believe me, I'm not easy on the Vibe either haha. He also said that he's seen trans that have had 20K miles and looked worse than mine haha. I def pushed it beyond what it should have been and lucked out, but I will be draining and replacing yearly now.

Rather good testament to the drive train I think :D
April 2010 Co-MOTM * Custom LED Gauge Cluster swap * LED dome, HVAC, and shifter * Retrofit projector w/ blue halo * Kenwood KDC-HD942U * Herculined cargo area * Debadged *Wolfman's Garage
acvw74

Re: Trans Fluid FINALLY Changed....

Post by acvw74 »

...Wow! I've read lots of threads on other forums where there were lots of troubles after changing their fluid with so many miles.

I hope you don't..
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

I've heard of that as well. So far so good, but it's only been a couple hundred miles lol. I'm still gonna drive it like I have been and see what happens.
April 2010 Co-MOTM * Custom LED Gauge Cluster swap * LED dome, HVAC, and shifter * Retrofit projector w/ blue halo * Kenwood KDC-HD942U * Herculined cargo area * Debadged *Wolfman's Garage
SnowFish

Post by SnowFish »

Pretty sure the problems come from back flushing an automatic. Bad idea.

This appears to be a manual. Otherwise the fluid would be brownish (auto) instead of black (manual).

Think about it...........how can leaving all the ground up particles, and broken down oil/tranny fluid, actually be a benefit?

The ones that had trouble either had their automatic back flushed, and the wrong lube added to the manual, or had pending failures in the first place.
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

Mine is a slush box. Fortunately I didn't have any any kind of ground particles/shaving present. He was surpised that it had never been changed and it was in really good condition, aside from the color of the fluid. He did make a comment of how reliable the Toyota drivetrains were though.

As I was driving this morning, I starting pondering... The part of the computer that keeps revs under 4K till drivetrain (not sure what exactly is basis it on) reaches operating temps is one thing that has helped prevent further issues. Like I said, I don't baby the Vibe at all. I turn on the car and within 5 seconds am driving. Most of the time I'm running late so it get's a WoT from me the majority of the time. Just a thought about that.
Vaggeto

Post by Vaggeto »

I believe it has to do with the newer fluid possibly washing away/cleaning some of the old fluid causing potential issues.
2003 Pontiac Vibe. AWD, Shadow, Monotone. Moons & Tunes. 16" Konig Zero-In wheels. (My Garage)
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

I've only heard of the situation of getting the fluid changed and then having issues, never an actual account of it though. Has anyone heard the time frame that ppls trans started to fail after the change? I put around 600-700 miles a week on it. Probably about 85% is highway. Not sure if I should not worry about it anymore at the 1000 miles mark, or say 5000 miles?
acvw74

Post by acvw74 »

Wolfman213 wrote: Has anyone heard the time frame that ppls trans started to fail after the change? ?

I've read that it usually happens directly after the change...If your not having issue...run it!

For the record...I would have changed it to...the dark fluid would have made me insane....(more insane :lol: )
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

acvw74 wrote:I've read that it usually happens directly after the change...If your not having issue...run it!
And that I am haha