06 Vibe maintenance, what to do if anything.

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
chadlyt

06 Vibe maintenance, what to do if anything.

Post by chadlyt »

I've got a 06 Vibe with 96,000 miles on it now. I've had it since new and am wondering what i need to do, if anything at 100K miles? All i have needed done to the Vibe is change the oil 11 times, all with Mobile 1 and change the tires 3 times. Other than this, I have not done a thing to the car or had a problem with it. With 100K miles coming up, I was wondering if i should change the tranny fluid or coolant. I am always a sceptic with interval fluid changes and know it is recommended that these fluids should be changed. But i am not sure i should mess with a good thing?
silverbullet

Post by silverbullet »

I would recommend doing a drain and fill of the trans, and spark plugs, just don't do it with a warm engine or you can destroy the head, and be sure to use anti sieze. Perhaps an air filter if it needs it, cabin air as well. That's all you should be worried about. Unless you want to go nuts and change the power steering fluid as well, not necessary tho. Brake fluid is not worth the trouble. I only would do mine if you need a repair and end up with an open system anyway. I don't remember what they are off the top of my head but make sure you get the factory recommended plugs, people have had problems in the past from using other types. Beyong my understanding but this engine is can be picky about plugs. If you have awd I would imagine you should be changing the differential fluid but I don't know much on the matter, I am fwd. Good luck
trb

Re: 06 Vibe maintenance, what to do if anything. (chadlyt)

Post by trb »

My son's 06 has half that mileage, so I'm going to make sure that there is nothing else we need to do either. I read through the owners manual, but don't recall the coolant or trans change intervals. All we've done is oil/filter changes, air filter and cabin filter so far. About ready for tires though.The one thing I might disagree on, is changing the brake fluid if you have ABS brakes. They really do recommend flushing the fluid every 5 years or so just to make sure the ABS parts continue to work properly. The brake fluid has absorbed all the moisture in the lines for 5 years and it can not hurt to start over with fresh fluid. For me, that is not a problem since I do my own brakes. Costs me just a few dollars for a couple of large containers of brake fluid. But if you think you may need a brake job in the next year or so, just flush it when the brakes are done.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
moongdss

Re: 06 Vibe maintenance, what to do if anything. (trb)

Post by moongdss »

That owner's manual is about the most useless thing I've ever seen LOL! It tells me more about how to strap a baby seat in than it does about how to care for my car I'm at 97k and doing the very same research as you guys. I had the tranny fluid done not too long ago (80k?) so I'm looking at radiator drain/fill, plugs, inspect belts and toss in some injector cleaner. I had my brakes done (rotors turned) around 90k, so I'm sure a significant amount of fluid was added then.Anything else I'm missing?
Pandora the 2006 Pontiac Salsa Vibe, 17"wheelsMods: tint, "Pandora" windshield decal, front badge skull overlay, rainguards, hoodguard, Projectorz headlite covers, black painted grills, FIAMM dual-tone horns, black grafxwerks overlays, redouts, Genvibe decals, splashguards, scangaugeII, 12v console outlet, DRL interrupt and I turned off that @#$% seat-belt beep! upcoming: red interior LEDs
knightrace

Re: 06 Vibe maintenance, what to do if anything. (chadlyt)

Post by knightrace »

may want to replace the serpentine (spelling?) belt. I changed mine around 110,000 miles and it had cracking on the ridges... not too bad but just telling me that it was going bad.
2005 Frosty White, Moon & Tunes, Leather, AutoDisabled DRL & AHLDouble Compartment Armrest Hella Super Tone Horns
Kamikaze

Re: 06 Vibe maintenance, what to do if anything. (knightrace)

Post by Kamikaze »

I'd probably do a coolant drain and refill if never been done. (I believe they recommend every 100k or 5 years)Timing belt & water pump @ 120k (but that's cause I'd do it myself)Plugs, and tranny drain and fill.I say drain and fills, b/c I don't believe actual flushes are a good idea unless there is a problem and you are doing it as a last resort. (as you are prob aware flushes sometimes losen particles that can cause new problems)I guess that's about all I can think of, I have an 06 w/60k on it, and plan on doing tran, & coolant this summer. might do the plugs while I'm at it b/c I'll probably be bored.
August 2009 VOTM Click HERE for my Garage
zaxellord

Re: 06 Vibe maintenance, what to do if anything. (Kamikaze)

Post by zaxellord »

Quote, originally posted by Kamikaze »I'd probably do a coolant drain and refill if never been done. (I believe they recommend every 100k or 5 years)Timing belt & water pump @ 120k (but that's cause I'd do it myself)Plugs, and tranny drain and fill.I say drain and fills, b/c I don't believe actual flushes are a good idea unless there is a problem and you are doing it as a last resort. (as you are prob aware flushes sometimes losen particles that can cause new problems)I guess that's about all I can think of, I have an 06 w/60k on it, and plan on doing tran, & coolant this summer. might do the plugs while I'm at it b/c I'll probably be bored.Doesn't the Vibe have a timing chain? :}
KNINE

Re: 06 Vibe maintenance, what to do if anything. (zaxellord)

Post by KNINE »

Quote, originally posted by zaxellord »Doesn't the Vibe have a timing chain? :}yes
"Don't look to the government to solve your problems, the government is the problem." Ronald Reagan"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin.
circuitsmith

Re: 06 Vibe maintenance, what to do if anything. (moongdss)

Post by circuitsmith »

Quote, originally posted by moongdss »That owner's manual is about the most useless thing I've ever seen LOL! there's a separate Maintenance Guide that came with my Matrix.Here's the extra things I recommend:Replace transmission fluid/oil every 30k miles.Replace brake fluid & lube caliper sliders every 3 years.Drain and refill power steering reservoir once a year.Drain and refill coolant (use Toyota Super Long Life), replace thermostat & radiator cap every 5 years.Change plugs & check valve lash every 60k.
2006 Matrix 5-sp