Fuel injector flush at Toyota dealership

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
oldsman350

Fuel injector flush at Toyota dealership

Post by oldsman350 »

Just brought my wife's 07 vibe with 130,000 miles for a coolant exchange. Dealership recommended a fuel injector flush, is it worth it? The car doesn't get the fuel mileage it use to and I was wondering if it would help restore the MPG. I replaced the plugs and PCV valve at 100,000.
lovemyraffe

Post by lovemyraffe »

How much are they charging?
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
oldsman350

Post by oldsman350 »

They want $129.95 for a 3 part fuel injection flush.
circuitsmith

Re: Fuel injector flush at Toyota dealership (oldsman350)

Post by circuitsmith »

Not worth it if the engine is idling and running smoothly.If not smooth pour a bottle of Chevron Techron fuel system cleaner in the gas tank before you give the stealership $$.
I use a bottle of techron once a year.
To save gas check tire inflation and wheel alignment.
Check for a dragging brake: after cruising with minimal brake use stop and see if a wheel is hotter than the others.
Change the thermostat and get the MAF sensor cleaned.
Is basic maintenance up to date? Should have replaced plugs & PCV valve and checked valve lash by now.
Last edited by circuitsmith on Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
2006 Matrix 5-sp
lovemyraffe

Post by lovemyraffe »

Definitely not worth $129. It will take 10 years before that would pay off.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
oldsman350

Post by oldsman350 »

What is valve lash and how is it checked? I wish I would have checked my post before I told them yes. Guess I just ate $129. Got an alignment done as well today.
Salsa Guy

Re: (oldsman350)

Post by Salsa Guy »

Quote, originally posted by oldsman350 »I wish I would have checked my post before I told them yes. Guess I just ate $129. Got an alignment done as well today. Yea ouch! I would done the Chevron Techron (or others) for a couple tanks and see what happens. They are making a VERY good profit on those services. My local garage offers a $70 B&G Fuel system flush. But I'll still stick with my $10 bottle of fuel system cleaner.
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
djkeev

Re: Fuel injector flush at Toyota dealership (oldsman350)

Post by djkeev »

Quote, originally posted by oldsman350 »Just brought my wife's 07 vibe with 130,000 miles for a coolant exchange. Dealership recommended a fuel injector flush, is it worth it? The car doesn't get the fuel mileage it use to and I was wondering if it would help restore the MPG. I replaced the plugs and PCV valve at 100,000.I'd look at the VVT filter system and make sure other parts of the fuel / air / timing system are in good shape.If you are running a major brand fuel, all the additives you'd ever want are in every gallon of fuel. Even some off brands have cleaners.If you are burning the absolute bottom of the tank crap that is sold in many cities for way less than going price, yeah, start purchasing techron and adding that every few tank fulls of gas.Dave
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
xbeaus

Post by xbeaus »

$70 is about maximum charge at the quick lube/super lube places. Chevron Techron smoothed out my idle lump
rAERRK

Re: (oldsman350)

Post by rAERRK »

Quote, originally posted by oldsman350 »They want $129.95 for a 3 part fuel injection flush.hahaha
jasonvibe

Re:

Post by jasonvibe »

oldsman350 wrote:What is valve lash and how is it checked? I wish I would have checked my post before I told them yes. Guess I just ate $129. Got an alignment done as well today.
These 1zz up thru 2008 ENGINES SIMPLY are OVER GROWN MOTORCYCLE ENGINES w/ dual over head cams. As SUCH, THEY DO NOT HAVE HYDRAULIC valve LASH ADJUSTMENT LIKE OLD CHevy's. Your owner's manual says check them every 60k. I checked mine @70k. All mine were dead center of the "spec". Dealer will hit you up for 2 hours to check them BUT the engine must be dead cold. And a good dealer will tell you to drop the car of the night before they do it. Bad news is if any are out of spec. This is an expensive and involved job....5-6 hours...if they have the parts. FYI...GM dealers do not stock the parts...the lifter buckets. And most Toyota dealer may not have the parts either. It's $20/lifter from toyota. But that's small change compared to the labor you will pay...$500-$600. If you valves are "too tight" lack of clearance...you can burn a valve damaging the engine. Dealer by me has seen this damage at least once. I hope your toyota dealer is a good one. This is something you want done properly. Starting 2009 model year I believe all Toyota engines have gone to hydraulics...basically because they are afraing of the E15 coming out which absolutely causes valve wear. We only have this valve wear issue due to E10 now and the possible coming of E15 only makes it worse. aka ...ethanol is killing your engine
2005 AWD PlatinumAlloys, Moon & TunesPower group...just enough to be fun
bluneon

Re: Fuel injector flush at Toyota dealership

Post by bluneon »

the 3 part fuel induction service actually does work.

the whole fuel, intake system and combustion chamber is cleaned out and will improve fuel economy. one part goes into the fuel tank, one through the fuel rail and one is injected into the intake before the throttle body. a new air filter and/or spark plugs are recommend for full efficiency.

the second part is supposed to be fed through the fuel rail w the engine running and the fuel pump deactivated; that way the rail, injectors and combustion chamber will be flushed w the solution. unfortunately the 1zz doesn't have a valve at the fuel rail so the injection system cleaner will be injected pre-throttle body.

the 3rd part is atomized, either through engine vacuum or air pressure into the intake before the throttle body w the engine running. this will clean the throttle body, intake runners and intake valves. this part will also flush the combustion chamber.