tranny fluid

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
Nitr0

tranny fluid

Post by Nitr0 »

bout due for a filter change and adding fluid, what are your thoughts on synthetic fluid? not worth it in the tranny unless it comes from the factory?
lovemyraffe

Re: tranny fluid (Nitr0)

Post by lovemyraffe »

The T-IV fluid is all that is necessary in the Vibe.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
Nitr0

Post by Nitr0 »

could that found in a parts store or would it be wise just to get it from a dealer?
lovemyraffe

Post by lovemyraffe »

I'm not sure if you can get it from a parts store. Just ask for Toyota T-IV transmission fluid.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
neebishis

Re: tranny fluid (lovemyraffe)

Post by neebishis »

The Toyota T-IV is a synthetic fluid. Buy it from a Toyota dealer for five dollars and change per quart....Gm could ask you to pay Eleven Dollars per quart.
blindman10

Post by blindman10 »

It is my understanding that T-IV is not a full synthetic fluid but a blend. Having said that, I think it's mostly useless to go with an expensive synthetic unless you are pushing your transmission really hard (far beyond typical driving). Toyota views the T-IV fluid as a 'lifetime' fluid in our vehicles so I have a hard time seeing any need for anything 'better.' Just stick to factory fluid and it should be happy.I orded a case of T-IV through toyotaparts.com and the price ended up being cheaper per quart (even after shipping) than any local dealers. YMMV there tho...
Nitr0

Post by Nitr0 »

what are everyones thoughts about mixing the stock stuff from the factory and the valvoline stuff that is "recommended for use as T-IV"?
djkeev

Post by djkeev »

As a rule of thumb it is best not to mix oils for any application.The two brands may meet the requirements for use in a given unit but may not play well together. (or they could be fine)With the price of a transmission or a rebuild, why take that chance??Stay with one brand if you can. Others will disagree I'm sure but this is my opinion as one who has been in the "Biz" starting in the early 70's.Dave
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
Nitr0

Re: tranny fluid (djkeev)

Post by Nitr0 »

tranny filters? cheapest is good enough or should I stick to a specific type?
joshuaeb09

Post by joshuaeb09 »

I mixed in Kendal Versatrans and mine is doing just fine. Every few oil changes I drop whats in the pan and then top it off with the VersaTrans. Of course I also get the VersaTrans for free so I'm not complaining. But my transmission also doesn't see your "average" driving
2009 Silver Vibe GT AutomaticI/H/E/Unichip @ 93octaneMy Garage : http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=43521" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Gone (Sold)
2005 Expedition Limited 2WD|4R75W 4SPD Auto|3.73 Gears|I/E|5Star Tuned@ 91|3" Lift/Level - Current Ride
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

I run AMSoil and a Tranny cooler. My engine is boosted and live in OKie Land so it's HOT. The car isn't abused, mostly a daily driver, but will have some fun pushing it from time to time. IMHO Any quality brand T-IV will work just change it on a regualar basis (70K) and hopefully it'll last a long time.
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
Nitr0

Post by Nitr0 »

I run amsoil 0w-30 in the engine and love it, granted I put it in when it had about 25k and it has 56k now and no problems whatsoever, I was lookin at usin amsoil for the tranny too but I just see that as bein quite pricy to drop the pan and fill like 3 or 4 times
Cougar Vibe

Post by Cougar Vibe »

I use the OEM T-IV fluid namely because it's generally the same price as the non-boutique ATF stuff, if not cheaper. Recently my local WallyWorld raised the price on the Valvoline ATF to $6/qt; I can get the Toyota fluid for $4.50 if I buy a case at the local dealership. As far as fluid "quality" goes, there are so many A/T Corollas and Camrys on the road...of which I'm sure many still have the factory fill IV or III...that I'm not worried at all about T-IV. My Vibe's A/T will most likely never be an issue under my ownership, though I'm trying to take care of the next guy by doing drain & fills every 50K miles.
rgnjc

Post by rgnjc »

I did my drain & fill + filter change on mine today. Took about 3.8 quarts, used the Toyota T-IV ATF, about $5.50 ea. from the Toyota dealer.
2005 Vibe base AWD w/ M&T, 191k miles (as of 8/2022)
2007 Vibe base FWS w/ M&T, 150k miles (as of 8/2022)