How do you repair the shifter light on an automatic transmission

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
jrpend

How do you repair the shifter light on an automatic transmission

Post by jrpend »

Greetings!! -I searched the forums and I could not find instructions on repairing the the shifter illumination. A couple of people said they had and some kind soul showed hoow to remove the whole dash (I don't think I'm quite up for that).2005 vibe. The light that illuminates the shifter position (PRNDL) is burned out. Can anyone tell me how to replace that bulb?Thanks,Jerald Pendleton
jrpend

Re: How do you repair the shifter light on an automatic transmission (jrpend)

Post by jrpend »

Well, answering my own question.I undertook this repair primarily due to the radio backlight being out. (Joatman - if I ever meet you face-to-face, I'm going buy you a beer)I decided that while I had the radio out, I would fix the burned out shifter light. The radio went well. Piece-o-cake as they say. But the shifter light...WHAT A PAIN.It turns out you have to remove the shifter assembly to replace the bulb. As usual, the worst part was getting the trim off. I used a taped flat blade screw as suggest elsewhere. It was still a booger. I understand Kragen sells a trim remover. I would buy one.For anyone who takes this on again.Read the 2003 Matrix manual that another kind forum participant posted - For my car it was about the same. Once the trim is off, it is not so bad getting the shifter unbolted. With 20-20 hindsight, I would suggest *NOT* removing the AT shifter knob. I did that and despite warnings in manual I broke the internal wires. I don't think it is even necessary to loosen the knob and in any even it can be removed later is necessary.The light - at least on my can is in a twist out socket in the upper corner. You do have to split the plastic piece that holds the PRNDL indicator. It is not hard but be careful. The only reason you need to split this is to get enough wire to give the little socket a 1/4 turn to remove it. If you think you can do without splittng the plastic piece go for it.It is a replaceable bulb and it is very small. remove it from the socket by pulling firmly upwards.Getting the bulb is interesting...I discovered the local GM dealers are less than enthusiastic about stocking parts for the Vibe. The GM parts place I went to first, the guy rummaged around in the back for a while before he gave me a bulb that was close.Unfortunately close is not good enough here. I think this bulbs base was like 1/16 of inch short. Wouldn't work.Trotted off to the local Toyota dealer:Me: "This is the shifter light out of a 2005 Matrix. It's really a Vibe, but we won't say anything about that.Him: "We're seeing a lot Matrixs with this funny triangular badge on them..."We chatted a bit and speculated on where Toyota would relocate the Matrix line (it was built in Fremont at NUMI, but when GM bankrupted, GM walked away from NUMI and Toyota closed it). I was glad to hear Toyota was planning on continuing the Matrix line.Anyhow, the part cost $6.85 cents (AC206C 90981-11018)I fixed the shifter on my kitchen table and then reassembled. It was about 3 hours to disassemble. About 45minutes to reassemble.Now the bloody light works.Good luck to all that follow.
lovemyraffe

Post by lovemyraffe »

Welcome to the site. Great write-up on this. I hope I never have to do it, but if I do I will use this as reference.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
tribalman

Post by tribalman »

when i was cleaning my car a month ago i took out the PRND21 plastic thingy to clean it i did see a bulb i didn't try to remove it. actually, i need to replace mine, it's acting funky. it doesn't illuminate all the time. sometimes when in park it stays off and if i shift slowly out of park it will turn on but if i got fast it won't. might have knocked a wire lose or something.
None. Vibe is gone.
jrpend

Re: How do you repair the shifter light on an automatic transmission (tribalman)

Post by jrpend »

When I was replacing the bulb inserting it was an issue. It is a very tight fit and it has exactly the right bulb. It does sound like yours might be loose. But don't think I'm an expert or anything.I tried the "Remove the strip" fix first. It might be just my car, but mine had a little piece of plastic over the bulb.
theamdman

Re: How do you repair the shifter light on an automatic transmission

Post by theamdman »

I recently replaced this bulb in my Vibe, I'd like to add a couple of notes. I found a compatible bulb that will replace the 90981-11018 Toyota bulb. Sylvania/Osram 73. At first it didn't seem as if it fit correctly, but after wiggling it a bit, it fit perfectly. The 73 bulb is slightly larger but seems to be of the same brightness and fit in the cavity without any issues. I was able to get a pack of two for $4.99.

I used this video as a guide, it was extremely helpful. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44UV_UF-_Wk

This is what I purchased: http://www.autozone.com/electrical-and- ... 477_18269/