1.8 Intake manifold gasket

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
ddbest

Re: 1.8 Intake manifold gasket

Post by ddbest »

I was told by the dealer that sometimes when the throttlebody and the intake manifold are separated, the gasket may need to be changed and it may cause the engine to idle rougher or higher. Now I've already done this job (now twice, and replaced it with a toyota orange one :-) ), and I have yet to have this issue.
biodieselrabbit

Post by biodieselrabbit »

ddbest wrote:I was told by the dealer that sometimes when the throttlebody and the intake manifold are separated, the gasket may need to be changed and it may cause the engine to idle rougher or higher. Now I've already done this job (now twice, and replaced it with a toyota orange one :-) ), and I have yet to have this issue.
So the dealer was saying that you should replace the throttle body gasket (between throttle body and intake manifold) when you are going in to replace the intake manifold gasket (between intake manifold and head - orange one)? Seems reasonable. When I replaced my intake manifold gasket I also put in a new throttle body gasket, however, it was probably unnecessary given its condition. The throttle body gasket does not see extreme temperature changes and therefore is unlikely to degrade like the intake manifold gasket.
2003 Pontiac Vibe
jstokes3

Post by jstokes3 »

I switched out my gasket this morning on my 2004 FWD. Really happy with the result. The idle is so much smoother now. In case anyone wants to tackle this diy, I found a great step by step with pictures at this site. http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/132-9 ... -pics.html Thank you for all the information on GenVibe.
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Thanks for posting. I will be doing mine soon. P0171 code. I bought the gasket & throttle body gasket as well. 10 bucks total at the Toyota dealership.
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

I did mine today. Pretty straightforward. Not nearly as difficult as I thought. I REALLY took my time & was done in 2 hours total. Hardest part was reattaching the vac hose on the back of the intake manifold. I didnt remove any of the coolant lines as detailed in this thread. The old gasket was a black rubber compound & flattened out, but there wasnt any signs showing it failed. After I loosened the intake manifold bolts it didnt take much at all to break it loose, so im assuming it was pretty much worn out. Since the manifold was off I took a peek at the valves, and i didnt see any built up carbon as if the gasket failed. All the valves looked the same. Not sure if I cured my problem because the wheather has warmed up my & my CEL went out. I really wont know until next year when it drops into the 50s. If it does, I will clean out the IAC valve. Oh well, at least i was able to clean out the throttle body from behind, but it wasnt bad at all anyhow. It had some small carbon buildup around the throttle blade. Car runs a BIT smoother at idle too. Also replaced the TB gasket as well, it was in really good shape & could have been reused. Thanks again all you well informed members ! 8-)
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
VibeN4

Post by VibeN4 »

Hi everyone!

I'm new to the group. I love reading all of the great information shared on this forum. Hopefully, I'll be able to contribute something valuable in the future.

Anyway, my '05 base Vibe with 120k miles had also showed similar symptoms as many of your Vibes have: sporadic Check engine light (P0171), rough idle, decreased fuel mileage. What I also had going on was a loud clunking sound coming from the engine bay along with the rough idle upon starting my Vibe and shifting her into reverse first thing in the morning. It would still be loud while waiting at a stoplight, but as she would warm-up the clunking sound would disappear. I brought my car to Pep Boys and they determined that the trouble code popped up because I needed a new intake manifold gasket, which they replaced last Friday, but since then it has still been making that clunking sound and idling rough while in gear first thing in the morning. What the hell could be causing the clunking noise? I talked to one of the service writers at Pep Boys and he said replacing the gasket wouldn't fix the clunking noise. He said it may be a problem with the bearings or the valves. What do you guys think? Is this something that several treatments of fuel injector/valve cleaners like Sea Foam or Gumout in the gas tank would fix or am I looking at a potentially expensive repair job? Thanks for any insight you have to share!
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

Hey VibeN4,
Search the site for "motor mounts", sounds like yours may be shot. Also sounds like you need to find a decent mechanic. Welcome to the group!
Start a new thread for the clunk, if you strike out on the search.
Chiadog
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Looks like my cold idle problem is solved. This morning was 49 degrees out & after the car warmed up, the idle didnt drop below 900 RPM-ish. I was having the idle problem in 60 degree wheather. Im a very happy camper right now. I was worried for a bit.Thanks again Genvibe 8-)
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
circuitsmith

Post by circuitsmith »

After 19 months and 13k miles the orange gasket I installed seems to be failing.
I hooked up my OBD-II scanner partly out of boredom after not using it for over a year.
The LTFT was +10.x. I was hoping it was just dirty fuel injectors so I put a bottle of Techron in the tank and filled up.
After 35 miles of running errands yesterday 50/50 city/highway now the LTFT is +19.
When I rev the engine up to ~2500 rpm in neutral the STFT swings negative and LTFT drops to single digits.
I was careful to clean the gasket surfaces when I installed the new gasket, but I vaguely remember it being folded up when it came in the mail.
I also replaced the throttle body gasket the last time.
I have another gasket on order and I hope I don't get a CEL in the meantime.
At least this time I can skip cleaning the throttle body.

On further thought I didn't check fuel trims before or after changing the gasket.
So it might have had this issue from the day I changed the gasket.
In fact, it might have been better before I did the work (changed it before there were any symptoms).
2006 Matrix 5-sp
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Try spraying carb cleaner on areas that may be leaking while the engine is running. It will suck the cleaner into the leaks and idle badly if you hit one. That is a fast way to find leaks. You can also blow cigar smoke into it while it's off with the intake inlet blocked and see if you can spot smoke exiting a leak.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
circuitsmith

Post by circuitsmith »

I'm familiar with the carb cleaner (or unlit propane torch) test; and I've advised it to others.
And yet I've been so flustered the last couple of days that my car isn't in tip-top shape I haven't been thinking straight.
I've been troubleshooting (mostly electronics) for over 40 years and look forward to solving mysteries, except when my own stuff breaks.
I think I'm losing my taste for the unexpected.
As Bette Davis said "growing old isn't for sissies".
2006 Matrix 5-sp
circuitsmith

Post by circuitsmith »

So I tried the carb cleaner: no effect on idle or fuel trims.
I sprayed around the manifold, throttle body and vacuum hoses.
I pinched off the brake booster and PCV hoses: no change.
Pinching off the hose to the EVAP purge had no effect when the solenoid wasn't active.
STFT dropped ~5 counts when hose pinched with the purge solenoid was clicking.
Cleaned the MAF sensor: no change.
LTFT stays at 10-11 and I'll just live with that as long as there are no codes.
2006 Matrix 5-sp
johnz

Post by johnz »

i've never had a CEL come on since owning my 05 vibe (have had close to 4 years now) but have some of the symptoms described here. get the low/rough idle on certain days (almost always in the morning on a cold day less than 30 degrees after it was warmer the previous day). my vibe WILL stall sometimes when moving in third or fourth gear, so I'm considering replacing the gasket soon. anyone else have a similar experience with the car stalling while moving?
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

circuitsmith wrote:I have another gasket on order and I hope I don't get a CEL in the meantime.
Try using a thin coat of gasket sealant (I like the Permatex black rubber sealant and conditioner) when you install the new one, if you didn't use any last time.
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
petervivian

Post by petervivian »

My car got code P0171 today. Will check for any vacuum leak after the holiday.
05 Vibe (Frosty), 13 VW CC (Fortana Red)