1.8 Intake manifold gasket

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
neebishis

1.8 Intake manifold gasket

Post by neebishis »

I've been following this site for nearly 2 years...and picked up MANY useful tips from you guys. Maybe I can give one back. I have an '05 Vibe with 137,000 miles on it.....been getting an intermittant check engine light for the last 12 months. Just about the time I decide to do something about it, it goes out and I won't see it again for a month or so. The idle was a bit rough so I considered a tight valve, dirty injector, or oxygen senser. Then someone on this site talked about tripping a code and winding up with a bad intake manifold gasket. I thought....that could cause ALL my symptoms, and would be the cheapest thing I could do to cure them. When the local Toyota parts guy gave my my new gasket, he said, ''as you can see, these are red.....if yours is a black gasket, you'll know it is origonal, if its red, its already been changed out''. Mine was black and had a crack in it at #1 cylinder. An easy hour of work, and my problem is history!! It purrs like a ***** cat, and generally just runs much better......and the ck. engine light is out. Thanks guys for the great information!! By the way.....Type IV Toyota transmission fluid was only 4.50 a quart at the dealer....I picked up 4 of those for a drain and fill. I've heard GM is getting 11.50 a quart for this stuff.
lovemyraffe

Re: 1.8 Intake manifold gasket (neebishis)

Post by lovemyraffe »

I replaced my intake manifold gasket a few months ago with a black one, but I also didn't get mine from a dealer.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
torque2k

Post by torque2k »

Which dealer, Plainfield or Toyota of GR? That's a damn good price! Wittenbach Pontiac by me (Lowell) is running $9 per... Oh, and they told me I should change my timing belt.
Zimm

Post by Zimm »

hey, a Rockford member!i was just back there this morning. doesn't look like i've missed much there lately.RHS, class of '92.
'10 Black w/1.8L AutoAir/PW/PL/PM
keithvibe

Post by keithvibe »

the new red ones are designed with a different type of material to prevent what the black ones did (crack, split ect) Glad your ride is purring again
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
neebishis

Re: 1.8 Intake manifold gasket (torque2k)

Post by neebishis »

Torque 2.......that would be Kool Toyota on Plainfield Ave.
neebishis

Re: 1.8 Intake manifold gasket (Zimm)

Post by neebishis »

Zimm..........the only thing that's new is that the Mexican Resturant got its liquor licence last week............oh, and it looks like Rocky's is about to re-open for the season.
truepath

Post by truepath »

Good information on the intake manifold gasket. That's the kind of fix I like. That is a good price on ATF. I paid about $5.50 for it at a Toyota dealer in Minneapolis and thought it was a good price. (Believe it or not, but the local GM dealer out here in rural MN I checked with wanted $17+ a quart for it.)
jasonvibe

Re: 1.8 Intake manifold gasket (truepath)

Post by jasonvibe »

Mine gave me the code 133 that is likely what you had. And my symptoms are the same. Dealer said if the gas mileage goes down IT's surely the gasket(aka o-ring assy.) Muleage has now dropped. I need to do it. And How did you do it in just an hour? Also found an available replacemene intake @Advance Auto for $200 with bettr o-ings. For someone to make complete replacements> Obviously there is an issue with the entire manifold design. It's cold here and no garage for me......oh joy
2005 AWD PlatinumAlloys, Moon & TunesPower group...just enough to be fun
neebishis

Re: 1.8 Intake manifold gasket (jasonvibe)

Post by neebishis »

Jasonvibe....its been awhile since I did the job, and I'm old....but, as I remember, you remove the plastic cover over the valve cover, remove rubber intake air tube from aircleaner, remove nuts from the throttle body, remove the electrical plug and swing it out of the way (do not remove coolant lines). Then unbolt the intake from the head and wiggle it out. I see nothing wrong with factory intake manifold....it just had an o-ring gasket that was made of inferior material.....12 bucks for a new one and re-assemble. Get your new gasket from a Toyota dealer...and just tell him you've got a '05 Matrix with a 1.8 engine....you'll save yourself money and some hassle doing it that way.Ken
jasonvibe

Post by jasonvibe »

Okay, I took it apart. I really looked and checked everything. And I found I had one of those steel bushings pressed too far it...right from the factory. SO the gasket was not sealing as forcefully at the head as possible. And then , after a couple years ...during cold starts is when I got my 1st code 133. But as everything heated up...it would seal. And code would disappear. Now this year the gasket had finally gave up...dried up I supose. But, It was not torn. So much for Toyota quality check on the intake manifold. I took a small hammer and carefully tapped the bushing "the other way". I got the toyota gasket...was not orange or red. It is black. Same as Felpro. I think Felpro makes it. Advance sells Felpro them for about $5...Toyota $7.75 retail. The bushing thing may be something to check whenever the maniforld is OFF. A simple straight edge wiill show the flaw. If it "rocks" it's not correct. Also OEM Toyota IV tranny fluid I get for less than $5/qt. at an CarQuest Auto by me. Thank you for you reply
neebishis

Re: 1.8 Intake manifold gasket (jasonvibe)

Post by neebishis »

Jasonvibe....isn't that steel bushing just supposed to ''float'' inside the hole in the plastic manifold??A-OK on your prices on gasket and type IV.Now the important question.......does it run better, and did the code go away??Ken
jasonvibe

Post by jasonvibe »

steel bushings are pressed in...rather tight. This is to keep from crushing the lousey plastic intake. But if pressed in too far. It may eventually cause issues . Possibly not allowing a solid seal on the gasket. This plastic design...is poor. And almost everyone is using it. There is a replacement manifold from "Dorman". Look it up at Advance Auto. I only recomment this Dorman if your orignal is damaged..cracked, etc. The Dorman's ports for emission hoses are not flanged and causes intake leaks(how stupid) unless you use "screw" claps of some kind on the hoses. And 2- 8 x 45 bolts are needed to be purchased for us AWD and 03 and 04 FWD. Lastly the Dorman uses BRASS every where including the threaded spots for tightening the throttle body. And the brass can strip at the standard 22 ft/lbs. where the the OEM uses quality STEEL fittings. With the brass you can only tighten to about 10 ft/lbs.
wallyuwl

Post by wallyuwl »

Do you guys have a specific set of instructions for changing the gasket? Do you have a Toyota part number for the new gasket? I'm looking to replace the cat and O2 sensors, and am thinking of replacing this gasket at the same time so I don't eventually get the 133 (or whatever it is, can't remember off hand) code that will end up ruining the new O2 sensor.
jasonvibe

Post by jasonvibe »

what's the mileage on your car? O2 sensors usually go way past 80k before issues pop up.In fact it's the law in many states like Cali. If you are less than 80k...don't waste your money. .
wallyuwl

Re: (jasonvibe)

Post by wallyuwl »

120k miles. '03 base. have p0420 cel code. had p0170 (i think that was it) and new maf sensor seems to have fixed that.
wallyuwl

Re: (wallyuwl)

Post by wallyuwl »

Found this on how to replace the intake gasket. Seems like pretty good instructions, though it suggests changing the coolant at the same time. From what those on here have said this is not necessary.http://www.toyotapart.com/M.I....7.pdf
jasonvibe

Post by jasonvibe »

on the non-drive by wire engines. AWD and pre 2005 FWD The 2 coolant hoses surely do NOT need disconnecting. I did not need to do it on mine. The bulletin says to disconnect the neg. battery cable to reset the computer. Something I did not do. Which I might. This is 1 hour job. Depending on how you work and how clean the parts are to start. Also the bulletin does it slightly out of order. 1st-re,ove plastic engine cover, 2nd- disconnect the snorkel throttle body to airbox, 3rd disconnect throttle body and cable. Then it's manifold time.
wallyuwl

Post by wallyuwl »

What should I use to clean where the gasket goes before I put the new one on? Brake cleaner and a rag? Something else?The TSB for the fix says torque all the bolts and nuts for the intake to 22 ft lbs. I've heard someone else say the nuts 22, and the bolts 37. Anyone know for sure?Should I put a bit of grease on one side of the new gasket to help it seal, or just put it in there? Do I need to remove the throttle body? Saw a thread on toyotanation where the person removed all the hoses but left the throttle body on. Is it one or the other (remove hoses from throttle body and intake, or keep hoses on throttle body and remove from intake but then you have to remove throttle body)?Any other suggestions?After reareading the TSB (I originally saw it a few weeks ago), I'm convinced the gasket is bad, likely caused the O2 sensor to go bad, and thus made the cat go bad. Been a problem for four years in the cold.
jasonvibe

Post by jasonvibe »

ALL BOLTS AND NUTS are to be 22 ft/lbs. Whom ever said different is totally wrong. The head is aluminum not iron!Otherwise you'll damage the head. Take it from me.I have the manual. Yes, remove the throttle body. The coolant hoses have enough length allowing you to strap it off to the side, use a bungi. Also it makes it easier when removing the Emissions and vacuum hoses. There is a gasket(oring) at the throttle body. But it does not get hot and likely will be good. Heat is what ages o-ring type gaskets. So not to worry. If you want to use some grease. Make sure it's waterproof and rated for hi-temps. Marine grease is good. But should have some transparencey to it. The new gasket has a high silicone content and does not require grease. I cleaned my intake with laquer thinner and a cotton cloth. Brake clean is harsh on some plastics. So I did not want to go with that.Do not use laquer thinner or brake clean on the gaskets. Simply-If you do as I did and others who told me the same "how to" here. You cannot go wrong. Just remember. DO NOT remove coolant hoses. Simply work from Right to left during disassembly. With the snorkle 1st. Then hoses and throttle bocy. During assembly when torquing the intake down there is a specific order. 5 nuts & bolts. hope this makes sense. 5, 3, 1, 2, 4. Don't forget the throttle body support..#6 on the engine block,after you mount the T-body.
wallyuwl

Post by wallyuwl »

Not sure what bolts correspond with those numbers 1-5? Do the nuts get tightened last?
jasonvibe

Post by jasonvibe »

sorry I meant the 5 fasteners. 2 nuts , 3 bolts they are basically across the intake. That is the order as listed in my last post...middle is 1st. then right of middle and so on..got it?
jasonvibe

Re: (jasonvibe) UPDATE-still PO133

Post by jasonvibe »

if some are folowing this. I did recently replace my intake gasket. Which pretty much cured the rough idle. Especially during warm up. But now today,the PO133 has returned along with a somewhat rougher than normal idle during warm up. in gear and stopped. BUT Not as bad as prior to the gasket swap. But still, suddenly worse. I did not change the throttle body gasket. Toyota says you should. But mine was in very good shape. NOT flattened out. Since this latest today PO133 I decided to change SOME of the hose clamps at the intake manifold. Thus far, new clamps = no change. ALSO if the O2 sensor was bad, I think I would get an additional or different code. Any ideas out there?
wallyuwl

Re: (jasonvibe) UPDATE-still PO133 (jasonvibe)

Post by wallyuwl »

I think I am going to change the throttle body gasket as well. It is a $3 part. Plus clean the IACV and replace that gasket since I'll have the throttle body off anyway. It does involve taking off two coolant lines, but I'm not too worried about that since a lot of people have taken off the coolant lines for this repair without any problems.http://matrixowners.com/topic/...incld/I think I understand the order for the fastenders for the intake now. I haven't actually looked at the engine yet, wife has been gone with the car when I've been home. But I'll figure it out. Are there any bolts holding it on on the bottom? I'm still not sure about exactly what hoses to, and not to, take off the throttle body and intake during the repair? Sorry, can't help you with the new code. The things I've seen to fix it are the manifold gasket and upstream O2 sensor.
jasonvibe

Post by jasonvibe »

once you remove the large plastic engine cover ...all is obvious. But I am still having issues with mine. Seems I used an outdated intake gasket. Prone to problems at very cold(subfreezing) temps. I posted elsewhere...I will be changing to the correct orange gasket and likely the t-body one as well.
jasonvibe

Post by jasonvibe »

I changed both the intake to the orange and the throttle body gasket also. Pretty much the same in cold weather. Good start up....then I think when the IDLE speed control(ISC) no longer is "kicking" the idle up. But the car is still not fully warmed up. It's not smooth like it used to be. Maybe ISC shutting off too soon?
wallyuwl

Post by wallyuwl »

Ok, so yesterday I did the repair for the intake manifold gasket. I also ceaned the IACV and put in a new valve oil filter. It was getting dark, so I didn't start it up.Today when I started it up it idled very rough, and then wanted to die, so I shut it off. I've started it a couple times and it is better (still not idling normal), but still after a minute or two wants to die.The weirdest part is I have no brakes. The brake pedal is stuck into its up position. Anyone have any ideas? Everything is hooked up and back in its original position. I did disconnect the coolant lines from the throttle body which could have let air in. Would air in the cooling system cause all these problems? Really don't want to have to take it to a dealer...
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

Disconnect the battery for a while and make sure all the lines are back in the right spots. Are all the manifold bolts torqued properly?As for the brakes, they're not getting vacuum so you have no power brakes.
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
wallyuwl

Re: (star_deceiver)

Post by wallyuwl »

I gave up and brought it to the Toyota dealer. turns out it was a tube going into the manifold that I forgot to put back on. I have no idea what tube it would be, I still can't find a tube connected to it that is not one I took off, and put back on, for the repair. But $49 later it works fine. Then I replaced the O2 sensor and changed the oil. Still have to replace the cat, but that will wait until another day.
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

On the intake manifold of my 09 1.8 there's an unused vacuum port. Perhaps there's one on the first gen that a plug came off.
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
jasonvibe

Post by jasonvibe »

There are THREE manifold hoses. The hose you missed is the one you cannot see. once you put the throttle body on. It faces the firewall. AGAIN, there is no reason to remove the coolant hoses. ANd the hose you missed was likely due to your attention to the coolant hoses. Which block the view when they are connected. Sounds like it took the dealer/ mechanic 10 minutes to fix it.
wallyuwl

Post by wallyuwl »

I felt around a bit and looked using a flashlight. Is the hose I likely missed just to the left (as looking at the engine) of the coolant hoses for the throttle body? It is hard to see and faces the firewall, and seems to go into the inake (best I can tell).If so, I never even took that one off, but it must have come off on its own when I moved the manifold once I unbolted it.
jasonvibe

Post by jasonvibe »

yes,,,that's it. It gives vacuum to the power brakes. I am 5'9" and it's something I could barely notice. But knew it was there. If you are <5'6" you may not notice it. But again. You removed the manifold and should have seen 3 vacuum ports sticking out. You must have pulled hard to make that hose just come off. It's on there pretty good. Glad it's all good now.
biodieselrabbit

Re: 1.8 Intake manifold gasket

Post by biodieselrabbit »

Anyone have the toyota part number for the throttle body gasket (not the intake manifold gasket)? Figure I will replace them both while I am in there doing the intake manifold gasket.
2003 Pontiac Vibe
ddbest

Post by ddbest »

So the other day I went to GM in whitby and bought an intake manifold gasket. They assured me that this was the part, but they gave me an ac delco gasket (black)

Am I right to assume this gasket will fail?? or is this an updated one for gm vehicles

Not looking forward to taking this apart again, but it'll be another 45 minutes wasted!

Ths is 4 a 2004 pont vibe base btw.
biodieselrabbit

Sounds like you got an old one that has been superseded by part number 17171-22060. If it is either part number 17171-22030 or 17171-0D020 then it is the older version. The new ones are a burnt orange. From what I have read it sounds as though a recently replaced older version gasket will still last a couple years but will eventually crack or warp just like I am guessing your last one did.
2003 Pontiac Vibe
ddbest

Post by ddbest »

Car has 194000 Kms. So when it does fail I don't expect to still have that car!!
ddbest

Post by ddbest »

If this makes any sense. The GM part number is 88969024 and manufacture date of 2012.12.20
biodieselrabbit

A few pictures of when I changed out the intake manifold gasket and throttle body gasket today on my base 2003 Vibe.
Dirt accumulating around center bolt at intake manifold gasket. This is why I suspected that the intake manifold gasket was bad (in addition to the fact that I knew it was the older black one). When it is cold out, the vibe does the idle hunting thing. Hopefully this replacement cures it.
Dirt accumulating around center bolt at intake manifold gasket. This is why I suspected that the intake manifold gasket was bad (in addition to the fact that I knew it was the older black one). When it is cold out, the vibe does the idle hunting thing. Hopefully this replacement cures it.
ManifoldGasket 003.jpg (21.73 KiB) Viewed 24611 times
2003 Pontiac Vibe
biodieselrabbit

Input side of throttle body after removing the rubber hose (snorkel) from air box. Very clean.
Input side of throttle body after removing the rubber hose (snorkel) from air box. Very clean.
ManifoldGasket 014.jpg (25.68 KiB) Viewed 24610 times
Last edited by biodieselrabbit on Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2003 Pontiac Vibe
biodieselrabbit

Output side of throttle body. Much dirtier. Probably ought to clean it at some point but didn't have the time today.
Output side of throttle body. Much dirtier. Probably ought to clean it at some point but didn't have the time today.
ManifoldGasket 016.jpg (20.69 KiB) Viewed 24610 times
Last edited by biodieselrabbit on Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2003 Pontiac Vibe
biodieselrabbit

Throttle body removed and tied out of the way. I did not detach any vacuum hoses or radiator fluid lines from the throttle body.
Throttle body removed and tied out of the way. I did not detach any vacuum hoses or radiator fluid lines from the throttle body.
ManifoldGasket 015.jpg (29.15 KiB) Viewed 24610 times
2003 Pontiac Vibe
biodieselrabbit

Whole engine bay with intake manifold removed.
Whole engine bay with intake manifold removed.
ManifoldGasket 023.jpg (33.76 KiB) Viewed 24609 times
2003 Pontiac Vibe
biodieselrabbit

The vacuum hose you see is the one most people forget to reattach to the intake manifold when they reinstall. In total, I removed 3 vacuum hoses from the manifold to completely take it out (did not unhook any from the throttle body).
The vacuum hose you see is the one most people forget to reattach to the intake manifold when they reinstall. In total, I removed 3 vacuum hoses from the manifold to completely take it out (did not unhook any from the throttle body).
ManifoldGasket 022.jpg (23.93 KiB) Viewed 24609 times
2003 Pontiac Vibe
biodieselrabbit

Taking a look inside.
Taking a look inside.
ManifoldGasket 018.jpg (17.45 KiB) Viewed 24609 times
2003 Pontiac Vibe
biodieselrabbit

New intake manifold gasket (Toyota Part #17171-22060). Notice how it is the burnt orange color.
New intake manifold gasket (Toyota Part #17171-22060). Notice how it is the burnt orange color.
ManifoldGasket 026.jpg (27.66 KiB) Viewed 24609 times
2003 Pontiac Vibe
biodieselrabbit

New throttle body gasket (Toyota Part #22271-0D030). The old one was likely fine but since I was taking it off anyway might as well put in a nice new one given the relatively low cost.
New throttle body gasket (Toyota Part #22271-0D030). The old one was likely fine but since I was taking it off anyway might as well put in a nice new one given the relatively low cost.
ManifoldGasket 027.jpg (30.17 KiB) Viewed 24609 times
2003 Pontiac Vibe
biodieselrabbit

I will report back in a few weeks about whether this fixes my idle hunting problem. Thanks to all those who blazed the way and documented their work. It made my replacement much smoother.
Reassembled Engine.
Reassembled Engine.
ManifoldGasket 029.jpg (30.59 KiB) Viewed 24609 times
2003 Pontiac Vibe
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

Nice write-up with PICs
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
biodieselrabbit

So unfortunately the idle hunting still persists. The good news is that it appears to be less severe, meaning it presents at lower temperatures, lasts for a shorter duration and jumps to a lower rpm than before. I did not use gasket sealant on either the intake manifold or throttle body gasket but read elsewhere on the forums that someone who did had good results.
2003 Pontiac Vibe