Any bad areas (on the car) for rust?

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
j42.snyder

Any bad areas (on the car) for rust?

Post by j42.snyder »

I do my own oil spraying (using Krown's K40 product here in the Rustbelt of Ontario Canada), and was wondering if there are any rust-prone areas that have been noticed over the years on the Vibes. I know that there was a substantial redesign for '09 (which mine is) - but underneath I don't think things changed too much. I try to get "everywhere" - but since I do it myself - if there's a real troublesome spot somewhere, I can do it a few times a year if necessary.From what I've read, people seem to mostly have issues with the tailgate on the 1st generation models, and from stone chips. Maybe that's part of the reason for the loss of the opening hatch window for '09 (although most likely just to be cheaper).Here in southern Ontario, it's very damp for much of the year - and mixing a healthy dose of road salt and other chemicals over the winter doesn't do nice things to our vehicles. If anyone else has had issues with areas like suspension, subframes, oil pans, door bottoms, etc. - I'd like to hear. I'd love to prevent the problems from starting - rather than try to keep them at bay once they get going. I was quite successful with my 2002 Sunfire I had - I've seen other newer ones around here with holes rusted through the quarter panels already. Still not a spot on the Sunfire (car's still in the family). Hopefully I can do the same for the Vibe. I'd really like to try to get at least 15 years out of this one...To be honest, I really haven't seen any Vibes or Matrix's looking rusty at all around here yet - but I haven't been underneath many either. Sometimes looks are deceiving. I've just lost a few of my favorite cars to structural rust over the years - so perhaps I'm just a little paranoid. I'm looking after my brother's identical car too though - so any help I get will help him too (and make me look better Thanks,John
ou.grizzly

Post by ou.grizzly »

I seen many 1st Gen Vibes have rust stains in a "seeping-pattern" coming from the door handles.I would remove the tail lights and open the rear glass - hit the hatch and doors well.
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
j42.snyder

Post by j42.snyder »

I've actually pulled off all the door panels and hatch panel to spray thoroughly inside already. I'll take a closer look around the tail lights. The bulb areas are easy to access from inside the car - but I didn't look at removing the entire assembly yet. Hopefully I can just get enough spray in around them without removing them entirely. I'm always afraid of making a scratch during the removal/install process that would create more of a problem than I'll likely be solving...I'll make sure I concentrate around the door and hatch handles as well. The one on the hatch looks like a very good place for moisture to hide out...Thanks,John
ric36012

Re: Any bad areas (on the car) for rust? (j42.snyder)

Post by ric36012 »

Our 2003 Vibe (white/2-tone) has been rusting in a number of spots over the past few years. The worst is under the hatchback glass. Also along the door handles (streaking down the panel) and in spots along the border of the windshield. Dealer said it was not covered under warranty (only rust-through is). I see a lot of posts about the hatchback rust. I've sanded & primed but it's a tought area to get at (under the rubber seal). Any suggestions appreciated.
ou.grizzly

Re: Any bad areas (ric36012)

Post by ou.grizzly »

Quote, originally posted by ric36012 »Our 2003 Vibe (white/2-tone) has been rusting in a number of spots over the past few years. The worst is under the hatchback glass. Also along the door handles (streaking down the panel) and in spots along the border of the windshield. Dealer said it was not covered under warranty (only rust-through is). I see a lot of posts about the hatchback rust. I've sanded & primed but it's a tought area to get at (under the rubber seal). Any suggestions appreciated.If the vehicle was still under warranty, there was a TSB on some of the areas you mentioned. more specifically the rear hatch. Best way to remedy that now, is if you have the income, have a local body shop fix the area.
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
kowell

Re: Any bad areas (ric36012)

Post by kowell »

Quote, originally posted by ric36012 »Dealer said it was not covered under warranty (only rust-through is). I hate dealers who wheezel out of rust problems with the "only rust-through" thing. My brother's 2003 mazda3 was severely rusted at a few places and the dealer said that "sadly" it was nost rust through and thus not covered under rust warranty, which was coming close to the expiration date.....Why don't you go get a coffee or something and I swear when you get back it will be through...In the end he got into an accident and the insurances changed a few body panels, thus solving most of the problem...but still.
2009 Vibe 2.4L 1SC - Red Hot Metallic
2011 Sienna V6 CE - Sky Silver
Bastranz

Re: Any bad areas (kowell)

Post by Bastranz »

My car wash place has an option to use something called Rustex. Would that do any good in preventing my Vibe from rusting?I purchased mine used, and haven't seen any noticeable issues. I imagine its previous owner kept it in the garage, but I park mine outside. I just worry about the potential for serious rusting to start occurring.
Owner of the first official "Brando-mobile", the "Silver Streak". 2003 Base Vibe, FWD.
Moved into the next generation, what's new is "Azúl" 2010 2.4 Vibe, AWD
msmyer

Re: Any bad areas

Post by msmyer »

I have some on my SMALL rear window...That's because of the crappy 2003 paint!!
‘03 Vibe with 317k and still going.............................

Other Mods: Sony X-Plod Headunit & Reflective White GVC decalMy Car at Cardomain.com... http://www.cardomain.com/id/msmyer
joatmon

Re: (ou.grizzly)

Post by joatmon »

Quote, originally posted by ou.grizzly »I seen many ... http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=5097