Battery replacement - how to?

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
chrisblues

Battery replacement - how to?

Post by chrisblues »

I am not very mechanically inclined. I need a new battery for my 2004 Vibe (still have original). Someone told me I need to keep juice going to the car so the computer doesn't get messd up.Is this true?Or can I just replace the battery like normal?
L5K

Re: Battery replacement - how to? (chrisblues)

Post by L5K »

Just replace it like normal. THe computer might need a few minutes to reconfigure itself when you're done, but it was designed to do so.
03 GT, Abyss with tupperwareTo Do List: (will take a long time)Front/Rear swaybarsStrut tower barTint windowsReplace rear bumper cover (previous owner rear-ended)Replace upper front bumper cover (cracked)Replace VVTL-i engine cover (previous owner was Hercules)
lovemyraffe

Post by lovemyraffe »

You don't need to keep power to save the computer. Like L5K said, the computer will take a few minutes to reset itself. Every time I work on my car and have to disconnect the battery, everything comes out fine in the end.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
joatmon

Re: Battery replacement - how to? (chrisblues)

Post by joatmon »

In the service manuals, almost every procedure begins with "disconnect the battery", so it's fine to do, no worries.When disconnecting the cables from the battery, do the negative side first. That way, if the tool hits the fender, it's just ground to ground, no problem. If you do the positive side first and short the tool to the body, you have an arc welder. I have done that, and it is quite "exciting". Similarly, when hooking up the new battery, do the positive side first, then the negative side.Probably also a good idea to clean the terminals, the connectors that clamp onto the battery, they may be corroded a bit, so take some sand paper or a wire brush and clean it up to shiny metal, at least where the connector will contact the battery terminal.. If it's really corroded with white/blue/green build up, you can soak the cable end in a baking soda/water solution. Some people recommend coating the terminals with some random oil to keep future corrosion down. Also, when you have the old battery out, make sure you see where the hooked end of the one hold down rod connects, it's not exaclty where you might expect it to be when you go to hook it back up and can't see down there.
zionzr2

Re: Battery replacement - how to? (joatmon)

Post by zionzr2 »

Quote, originally posted by joatmon »...Also, when you have the old battery out, make sure you see where the hooked end of the one hold down rod connects, it's not exaclty where you might expect it to be when you go to hook it back up and can't see down there.yes this is very key... the tie down hook goes in a hole next to the battery tray and not under it as you might expect.
Whelan

Re: Battery replacement - how to? (zionzr2)

Post by Whelan »

That hook is the most annoying thing. It added 10 minutes to my frustration. I tightened it up thinking it was hooked and it wasn't had to use WD-40 to loosen it enough. While holding the hook in place on that little flange (such a weird place), I finally got it on.I replaced my stock battery at 102,500 miles with a Duralast Gold series from AutoZone DLG-35. My gf's battery went on her 05 Jeep Liberty recently and that got me thinking about changin mine before the weather gets cold.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
chrisblues

Post by chrisblues »

Thanks for all of your help. I really appreciate it. Got the old battery out fine and put the new one in (Duralast Gold series from AutoZone DLG-35 as well). Agreed, the hook was the hardest part. Hoping this one lasts another $100K plus miles like my old one.
Whelan

Re: (chrisblues)

Post by Whelan »

I had Duralast Gold in one of my other cars. Never an issue with it, it has something like an 84 month warranty so your covered. Most of these batteries are made by quality manufacturers and just relabeled, like Exide I think makes Die Hard and Interstate is similar to Duralast, etc.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
heaven_hill

Re: Battery replacement - how to?

Post by heaven_hill »

Does anybody have a picture of where the hook goes for the tie down? I just recently had to take the battery out to recharge it (light was left on overnight) and am having big trouble with the tie down now. I see a flange behind the battery tray with a hole in it, but I can't get the hook in it as the battery cables ( which don't seem to want to move) seem to be in the way.
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

I just changed my battery & starter this past weekend. You dont have to worry about the computer. I have a 03 with the stock radio & I didnt even lose my radio & EQ presets. I guess the stock radios have a internal battery?While you are in there clean off your ground cables that go to the chassis & engine block. Thats what I did. The hook can be a bit of a pain. You may have to bend the wires a little before you drop the battery in so they will be out of the way when you connect the tie down. Just be patient! Haste makes waste ! Keep us updated !
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
joatmon

Re: Battery replacement - how to? (heaven_hill)

Post by joatmon »

Quote, originally posted by heaven_hill »Does anybody have a picture of where the hook goes for the tie down? I just recently had to take the battery out to recharge it (light was left on overnight) and am having big trouble with the tie down now. I see a flange behind the battery tray with a hole in it, but I can't get the hook in it as the battery cables ( which don't seem to want to move) seem to be in the way. don't know if this picture will help any, but this is what I could see on my 2003. That salt encrusted black thing along the top of the picture is the edge of the engine air filter housing. The hook on the hold down rod points to the left.

Attached files
heaven_hill

Re: Battery replacement - how to? (joatmon)

Post by heaven_hill »

Thanks for the help with this. After seeing the picture I had no problem finding where the hook went and got it back in.